All Inclusive Beverage Package: Read the fine print

lljost

We're seriously considering not getting the AIPB for the Med cruise we're doing later this year. I'm hoping Royal will have wine packages available.

I wouldn't buy it even for $59 AUD (currently about $43 USD) because on my last cruise, my bar bill averaged less than $19 USD per day (and I wanted for nothing).

wish we had that option in australia $59 if buying onboard, $76 if pre paid although u get the difference refunded.

When I cruised last November, I had OBC so went to the Calypso Bar on the embarkation day and bought myself the Soda and More Package.

I'm booked again October 22, 2018, again sailing the Golden Princess Sydney-Melbourne 3 night cruise. I'm planning to pre-purchase the Chilled Shrimp Canapes-delicious!-and put money into On board Credit to buy souvenir pens, mugs, lanyards and another cuddly Teddy Bear. I will also allow OBC for the cost of 1 or 2 daily Cocktails.

Thanks for jogging my memory! Please does anyone know the cost of the Cocktails at the Australia/New Zealand Platinum/Elite/Suite Function? I didn't get there on the Friday night, and never thought of having a Cocktail on the Saturday night, I had the Soda and More package and was quite happy with a soft drink.

It is essentially. The software is picking up the AUD price, $59, but then it's "converting" it using the USD - AUD exchange applicable on that booking. Of course, it shouldn't be converting it at all since the price is already in AUD. Nice little bug! :D

Actually I'm curious, do Princess automatically refund the difference or do you have to go to Guest Services to get the refund? We've always bought the package onboard.

last time they automatically credited my account.

I don't find it surprising at all that the onboard price is higher than the pre-cruise purchase price. Princess wants the cash, and the sooner they can get it, the better. No big surprise there, and, certainly, nothing sinister about it. If they can get cash up front, they are willing to drop the price a bit. I guess the flip side of it is that once you are onboard they've captured you. So, if you want the package, you're stuck with paying more for it.

The inability to apply OBC just makes it a decision for the individual cruiser.

I've heard that purchasing excursions before embarkation is also less expensive than purchasing on board. Am I correct on that, or am I hallucinating?

It depends on who you purchase the excursions from. Excursions are more expensive when you purchase them onboard because they know you want to go on one and you'll either pay or not. We book ours through our travel people using our Discover card to get the cash back. They are cheaper than Princess, and guarantee everything that Princess does.

Like most anything, wait until the last minute and you will pay more, not less. Cash up front beforehand will work most of the time.

I read about the package online and read this information. I am not sure why it is a surprise. I also thought that if you buy on ship you could also be charged the 15% per drink. I would have to go back, as that might have been a different company. I have read so many in the last week.

The price charged for the AIBP - either in advance or onboard - includes the 15% gratuity as part of the price. No additional gratuity is charged when you get each drink.

Shhhhhh! We're trying to keep quiet about that in case Princess raises the price! :p

Maybe that's what Princess thinks the market will bear down here. We've been happy to buy it at that price but, given the poor quality of the wines by the glass included in the package, I wouldn't pay more for it. It's borderline for us, especially when the MDR service is slow.

We're seriously considering not getting the AIPB for the Med cruise we're doing later this year. I'm hoping Royal will have wine packages available.

Get your wine at Vines. MDR wine by the glass is pretty lame but there is good wine at Vines. Tell them you are taking it to dinner and they will put it in a different glass for you.

Princess now makes you pay for any excursions that you reserve before boarding but does allow you to use OBC (actually automatic so I have seen). So perhaps they will also allow you to use OBC to buy a beverage package prior to boarding now or in the future?

Get your wine at Vines. MDR wine by the glass is pretty lame but there is good wine at Vines. Tell them you are taking it to dinner and they will put it in a different glass for you.

So far we've only been on one ship that had Vines (Golden). The Sun class ships don't have it. We were singularly unimpressed by our one attempt to enjoy a glass of wine there. The service was appalling. There was a very rude waiter who ignored us for a considerable time. At one point we caught his eye, he appeared to acknowledge us, but then went back behind the bar to do some busywork, served a guy who walked up, then went back to busywork. We were just about to leave, sans wine, when a waiter from the IC came over and asked if she could help. The Vines waiter rushed up and rudely shooed her away and finally took our orders. We eventually got our wine however I have my doubts that the wine I got was actually what I ordered. We didn't bother going back.

Also I prefer to match the wines I drink with dinner to the food I am going to eat. Often that means a leats two different wines during the course of the meal. We prefer traditional dining and it's a long hike from the traditional dining room on most of the bigger ships to Vines.