CCL from Long Beach to Hawaii, how are the seas in April/May?

For those who have done a sailing to and from California to Hawaii in late April/May what kind of seas did you experience? Was it a rough sailing this time of year at the end of April? How about the weather? swimming on board? Possibly booking the Splendor .... Thanks for any feedback.

Dependent on what's happening up the coast, up to Alaska. Typically the first two and last two days are bumpy or rolling because you'll be crossing the current. It gets warmer the closer you are to Hawaii.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm hoping since it's near the very end of April that temps would be higher and storms would be lessened going into the first week of may. I would be taking my young daughters and would hope the seas wouldn't be too rough and temps too cold for them to swim in the pools aboard at that time.

With all due respect, whatever conditions another person experienced in the past has no bearing at all on what you'll have experience on your cruise. Especially in the day and age where we are experiencing crazy weather patterns due to global warming. Enjoy your cruise, and try not to stress out about what might happen.

I'm hoping since it's near the very end of April that temps would be higher and storms would be lessened going into the first week of may. I would be taking my young daughters and would hope the seas wouldn't be too rough and temps too cold for them to swim in the pools aboard at that time.

The Splendor has a nice pool that is mostly enclosed. I think there is a rolling type roof to fully enclose it in cooler or windy weather. Enjoy your cruise.

With all due respect, whatever conditions another person experienced in the past has no bearing at all on what you'll have experience on your cruise. Especially in the day and age where we are experiencing crazy weather patterns due to global warming. Enjoy your cruise, and try not to stress out about what might happen.

Very very true ..... I suppose I'm just looking for a best guess or generalization based on early may itself, outside of hurricane season and just after winter. I just hear seas are the worst oct-feb.

We've had perfect weather for out two HI cruises in October. This past week (beg of May) LA had several decent rainstorms and May Gray to contend with.

Can never predict the weather.

The big thing to remember is that you'll be over 4 days both ways over open ocean. Any storms up the coast, up to Alaska will effect the seas.

You ever watch deadliest catch?? Yea, well, .... it won't be like that.... but the center pool with the macro dome is perfect for chilly days but when you want to be by the pool! Just hope they don't have it on sea to sea.... brrrrrrr

I see you didn't waste an opportunity to inject a controversial subject into your response. LOL

I agree with your first sentence, but vehemently disagree with the second.

I've done my share of cruises but not this one. I'd have hoped that the last week of April and first week of May would offer at least warm weather out of California to Hawaii. I'm from Michigan and can handle cold. I just know very little about the weather over there in this matter. Just don't know if my 9 and 11 year old girls (at that time) would like being in jeans and a hoodie onboard every sea day.

I see you didn't waste an opportunity to inject a controversial subject into your response. LOL

I agree with your first sentence, but vehemently disagree with the second.

Deleted.

Edited by denatravels

Really? I'm glad you're the definitive expert in this subject. Thank you for your response.

Actually you're the one that turned it political and made yourself the expert. I'm not claiming to be an expert-- I'm relying on science.

Actually you're the one that turned it political and made yourself the expert. I'm not claiming to be an expert-- I'm relying on science.

No sir. You read into something. But someone bringing in global warming as a response to weather changes is inviting political discourse, whether intended or not. And for every bit of "science" you rely on, there is an equal amount of science disproving global warming. That's why I reported these posts to the admins.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've done my share of cruises but not this one. I'd have hoped that the last week of April and first week of May would offer at least warm weather out of California to Hawaii. I'm from Michigan and can handle cold. I just know very little about the weather over there in this matter. Just don't know if my 9 and 11 year old girls (at that time) would like being in jeans and a hoodie onboard every sea day.

Past few weeks have been cool here. Last week our local mountains got snow around the 5000ft level. Typical weather pattern. It's not always 100F here. Hawaii is more consistent.

Your kids will fit in. The CA teenage 'uniform' is shorts and a hoodie, worn with Tom's, Vans or flip flops.

For those who have done a sailing to and from California to Hawaii in late April/May what kind of seas did you experience? Was it a rough sailing this time of year at the end of April? How about the weather? swimming on board? Possibly booking the Splendor .... Thanks for any feedback.

They were rougher than I expected, but the stabilizers were out the entire time.

We also unfortunately had one on those rarely heard about tilts where it felt like we were going to capsize. Our belongings and even our made made its way toward the door. People panicked and were donning their life jackets. The pools were all emptied and with its contents all over the deck. The gift shops were trashed and subsequently closed. The dishes in the dining rooms went flying.

The good news was the ship righted itself after about 15 seconds. They never told us why nor how it happened. But the rumors ran rampant the rest of the week.

On our crossing, I felt like I wished I had brought a light jacket or wind breaker. It was cooler than I expected. God forbid I actually break down and buy one.

Buy the time we got to Kauii, and the rest of the week, it was quite tropical, including the trip to the top of the volcano on Maui.

On our crossing, I felt like I wished I had brought a light jacket or wind breaker. It was cooler than I expected. God forbid I actually break down and buy one.

Buy the time we got to Kauii, and the rest of the week, it was quite tropical, including the trip to the top of the volcano on Maui.

What month did you do this crossing? Beginning or end of the month?