Onboard spending/cruiseday credits

Retired 07

I see that you get extra credits for your Mariner status for onboard spending. Do you still get the credits if you book shore excursions, or dining in advance?

Yes, you do.

... Every $300 you spend give you a day (point).

Even better is that HAL is very generous in "rounding up" to the next $300 increment. We have had several experiences of spending, say, $985, and receiving 4 bonus "spend" days, instead of the 3 days that our actual "spend" earned.

Smooth sailing :ship::ship::ship:

Even better is that HAL is very generous in "rounding up" to the next $300 increment. We have had several experiences of spending, say, $985, and receiving 4 bonus "spend" days, instead of the 3 days that our actual "spend" earned.
Once we were $16 over a breakpoint and did not get the extra day, and another time we were $19 over and did!

I see that you get extra credits for your Mariner status for onboard spending. Do you still get the credits if you book shore excursions, or dining in advance?

I'm curious. Does anyone know "when" you get the spending credits? My wife and I are taking our 1st HAL cruise on the Amsterdam Grand Asia this fall. Because of the Grand or the class cabin, we are getting double points. And according to a HAL rep, we will change status as we go. Thus, by the time we reach cruise day 38, we will be 3 Star. At the rate my wife is selecting tours :D, we could be a 4 star before we return. That is, if we get the credit as we use the service. Are points added as you pay, as you use the service or after you return from the current cruise?

I'm curious. Does anyone know "when" you get the spending credits? My wife and I are taking our 1st HAL cruise on the Amsterdam Grand Asia this fall. Because of the Grand or the class cabin, we are getting double points. And according to a HAL rep, we will change status as we go. Thus, by the time we reach cruise day 38, we will be 3 Star. At the rate my wife is selecting tours :D, we could be a 4 star before we return. That is, if we get the credit as we use the service. Are points added as you pay, as you use the service or after you return from the current cruise?

They are added after your current cruise. If you change status on the cruise, the new status will not be applied to your account until your next cruise.

I also have found that days are calculated on the final total of your on-board account. I spent enough to get 2 spending bonus days on my last cruise, but due to missed ports and refunds of shore excursion & port fees, I earned only 1 spending bonus day. So don't count your days before they are awarded.

Are points added as you pay, as you use the service or after you return from the current cruise?
Since it is a Grand Voyage, your 3-star benefits will begin immediately on day 38 if you are in a suite ... BUT the spending bonus days will not be calculated and applied until the cruise ends. The only way you could make 4 star while on-board a first cruise would be to occupy a suite for 100 days, no matter how much you spend on board. To make 4-star after your 80-day cruise ends you wife would have to spend 40 x $300.

From the FAQ's:

17. If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

Edited by catl331

Since it is a Grand Voyage, the 3-star benefits will begin immediately on day 38 for suite occupants ... BUT the spending bonus days will not be calculated and applied until the cruise end. The only way the OP could make 4 star would be to be in a suite for 100 days, and the Grand Asia is 80 days.

From the FAQ's:

17. If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

I read that as status will change on the cruise only if the status will be updated by actual days sailed, not with spending bonus days. So by my understanding of the quote, if the OP is counting spending bonus days to get the status change, it will not happen on this cruise, even if it is a Grand Voyage.

Edited to add: especially if there are credits, which change the overall total of the on-board spending, as days are calculated based on the final total of on-board spending.

I read that as status will change on the cruise only if the status will be updated by actual days sailed, not with spending bonus days. So by my understanding of the quote, if the OP is counting spending bonus days to get the status change, it will not happen on this cruise, even if it is a Grand Voyage.
Correct.

Edited to add: especially if there are credits, which change the overall total of the on-board spending, as days are calculated based on the final total of on-board spending.
Refunds of prior charges reduce your spending total, but OBCs do not. They are a way of paying your charges, just like a cash deposit.

I have 74 credits now and am booked on a 22 day cruise in November. Is there a way to get to 75 before the sailing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe the only way you can get an additional day before your November cruise is to take another cruise! Are you near a port where you can take a short cruise, like a Pacific Coastal? There are 1 - 5 day cruises.

I believe the only way you can get an additional day before your November cruise is to take another cruise!
I agree.
Are you near a port where you can take a short cruise, like a Pacific Coastal? There are 1 - 5 day cruises.
Unless you live in or very near Seattle or Vancouver and could take a 1-day for around $100, I would think transportation costs before and/or after the cruise would negate the benefit of a 25% discount on some items on the 22 day cruise.