Hoonah Travel Adventures

Rambler5678

Yes, we did a whale watch with them several years ago, and they were excellent, in terms of service, quick response to our inquiries, and overall professionalism. Our captain, Capt Paul, tried very hard to give us the best views for taking photos of the humpback whales, and also lowered a hydrophone into the water so we could hear them. I'm sorry I can't give you feed back on their wilderness tour and bear search.

We are booked for their whale watch this July, based on great reviews on trip advisor. We liked the size of boats and positive feedback on comfort/safety. We chose a wildlife/bear walk excursion in Ketchikan instead because ISP is supposed to have great whales. I remember my research notes also included Misty Lodge for brown bears too if you want to check it out.

• 1 month later...

We just used them last week. The advantage they have over the cruise lines is that they can go much farther into the park to search for bears. Our guide was very knowledgeable of the native culture and gave us a great tour. Unfortunately, after three hours, we did not see any bears. Our guide was in radio communication with several other guides and no one saw bears that day. I guess the bears just didn't want to be seen that particular day. Our guide seemed genuinely disappointed that he was unable to find any bears for us. The bottom line is that apparently there were no bears to be seen so I won't blame it on Hoonah Travel Adventures. I highly recommend them.

That's good that they can go farther into the park. We are booking the tour that goes out at 7:30 a.m. for three hours. It's better at that time because less "traffic" and I'm guessing they may be a bit more active in the morning. I noticed there are also arctic cat/ATV and Jeep tours as well, but the girl who I've been emailing with said that they can get a head start on those people and Hoonah Travel's guides usually have good info about where to go to see the bears.

That's good that they can go farther into the park. We are booking the tour that goes out at 7:30 a.m. for three hours. It's better at that time because less "traffic" and I'm guessing they may be a bit more active in the morning. I noticed there are also arctic cat/ATV and Jeep tours as well, but the girl who I've been emailing with said that they can get a head start on those people and Hoonah Travel's guides usually have good info about where to go to see the bears.

Our tour was at 7:30. The guide met us at the pier a little before that. We were the first ones into the park.

Our tour was at 7:30. The guide met us at the pier a little before that. We were the first ones into the park.

Oh well, I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed. We are doing a week-long trip from Fairbanks down to Seward so I'm hoping by that time I'll see a bear or two before the cruise.

I find this bear tour to be reasonably priced. I'd like to do that zip ride but can't bring myself to pay $300 for the two of us for a 90 second ride lol!

Oh well, I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed. We are doing a week-long trip from Fairbanks down to Seward so I'm hoping by that time I'll see a bear or two before the cruise.

I find this bear tour to be reasonably priced. I'd like to do that zip ride but can't bring myself to pay $300 for the two of us for a 90 second ride lol!

Our guide seemed very surprised that we did not see bears. He had seen them the last several days. It was overcast the day we were there. That may have affected the bear activity. I also shrouded the top of the zip line. We spoke with people that did it and they were disappointed that they couldn't see the bottom from the top.

Our guide seemed very surprised that we did not see bears. He had seen them the last several days. It was overcast the day we were there. That may have affected the bear activity. I also shrouded the top of the zip line. We spoke with people that did it and they were disappointed that they couldn't see the bottom from the top.

I think it is unusual for them not to see bears as it's one of the places in Alaska with a high bear population on that island.

Yes I'm glad we're not doing the zip line now even though it caught our eye right away when we were looking. We're actually going to do the zipline when we're in Juneau instead with Alaska Canopy Adventures for about the same price as the ISP one but you get to go on 10 lines. And if anyone is interested, they have an online booking special for ziplining in Juneau. If you book by the end of June the cost is $139 rather than $189 per person.

• 1 month later...
We're doing the bear watch in August from 11:00 - 2:00. Our port time changed and we have to be back on board at 2:30. Did anyone have issues with not returning on time? We can still switch to the 7:30 trip if needed.

I asked the same question when I booked our tour from 11-2 p.m. Our ship leaves at 3 p.m. The woman told me that we would be back at the dock by 2 p.m.

I always got quick email replies from them, so you may want to follow up with a quick email to double check but you should be fine.

I asked the same question when I booked our tour from 11-2 p.m. Our ship leaves at 3 p.m. The woman told me that we would be back at the dock by 2 p.m.

I always got quick email replies from them, so you may want to follow up with a quick email to double check but you should be fine.

Thanks, we did ask and they did say we would be back by 2:00. Guess I'm just looking for reassurance, don't know why I'm nervous about this one excursion because we mostly do them on our own.

Thanks, we did ask and they did say we would be back by 2:00. Guess I'm just looking for reassurance, don't know why I'm nervous about this one excursion because we mostly do them on our own.

You'll be fine. The cruise ships are pretty much their only business so they always know all the ships itineraries, etc. Just confirm when you meet up with the guide right off the bat.

Has anyone used this company in Icy Straight Point? Was thinking about their Wilderness Tour and Brown Bear Search.

Just did this tour last week. I would NOT use them again. I am just typing up a TA review now. Will get it posted here also when I can access CC on my computer.

Just did this tour last week. I would NOT use them again. I am just typing up a TA review now. Will get it posted here also when I can access CC on my computer.

I'd like to know what the issues were. So far the service via emailing, etc. has been great. We do this tour on August 22. Please keep me posted. Thanks

I'd like to know what the issues were. So far the service via emailing, etc. has been great. We do this tour on August 22. Please keep me posted. Thanks

Agree that the booking, emailing, etc was fabulous. The Meet & Greet staff were friendly and efficient.

We did not enjoy the guide at all. He talked too muchabout himself and his family. Some people might be ok with that but I don't think anyone in our van enjoyed it. I am sure he is a nice guy and I hate giving a bad review but just feel that other people need to be aware. We were late getting back and had to hustle back to the ship....all while the guide knew one lady needed to get back to go to restroom.

Edited by skiiergirl