Tipping in Rome

jshli

All I'm reading is sooooo many justifications for not tipping, Feel proud!

Oh how ridiculous. Following local norms makes sense and for you to say "feel proud" in your tone just shows you don't travel much and/or have a self centered opinion and feel non tipping cultures should change their ways

I'm just back from Italy and no tipping at all in restaurants

I rounded up a euro for taxi which was met with a sincere thank you...

But regarding the taxi tips...each and every driver started to make change for me

I gave them 11 E for a 10.60 e fare...and without hesitation they started to get coin to give me back....which I never took

Restaurants had no delusions of getting a tip but the service I got as well as everyone else I could see was excellent

I did tip some tour guides but that too wasn't the norm. We were a party of 3 and we did pick their brains so I felt ok giving them 5E because I wanted to but not all did tip and the groups were mostly Americans

I actually felt good not tipping....not as an excuse btw....but I felt good following the local norms...which I did throughout this trip and will do for future European trips where applicable.

Fwiw in Barcelona in 2012 I tried to tip for our carafe of sangria and my niece who was living there at the time was adamant that I couldn't and shouldn't do it and took my euro off the table and gave it back to me

Let's look at it this way.....tipping in places where it's NOT the norm is just as bad as NOT tipping in a NYC restaurant where unfortunately 20% IS the norm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Oh how ridiculous. Following local norms makes sense and for you to say "feel proud" in your tone just shows you don't travel much and/or have a self centered opinion and feel non tipping cultures should change their ways

I'm just back from Italy and no tipping at all in restaurants

I rounded up a euro for taxi which was met with a sincere thank you...

But regarding the taxi tips...each and every driver started to make change for me

I gave them 11 E for a 10.60 e fare...and without hesitation they started to get coin to give me back....which I never took

Restaurants had no delusions of getting a tip but the service I got as well as everyone else I could see was excellent

I did tip some tour guides but that too wasn't the norm. We were a party of 3 and we did pick their brains so I felt ok giving them 5E because I wanted to but not all did tip and the groups were mostly Americans

I actually felt good not tipping....not as an excuse btw....but I felt good following the local norms...which I did throughout this trip and will do for future European trips where applicable.

Fwiw in Barcelona in 2012 I tried to tip for our carafe of sangria and my niece who was living there at the time was adamant that I couldn't and shouldn't do it and took my euro off the table and gave it back to me

Let's look at it this way.....tipping in places where it's NOT the norm is just as bad as NOT tipping in a NYC restaurant where unfortunately 20% IS the norm

I can see both sides.

When we got a taxi from Barcelona airport to the ship it was €42.I gave the taxi driver €45 and he was trying to get away without giving me any changes.

I told him to keep €1 because i needed a couple of euros for the luggage porters who were very happy to take the €2.

So much for not expecting tips.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I can see both sides.

When we got a taxi from Barcelona airport to the ship it was €42.I gave the taxi driver €45 and he was trying to get away without giving me any changes.

I told him to keep €1 because i needed a couple of euros for the luggage porters who were very happy to take the €2.

BTW the fixed taxi price was €39 but he said it was an airport surcharge?.

It shows customs or not there are always greedy or dishonest people who will happily take your money,tip or another way.

Unscrupulous taxi drivers exist all over the world, unfortunately. Barcelona has become a huge Cruise departure destination with many North Americans leaving large, unnecessary tips which means many of those in service industries now expect everybody to leave a tip. Barcelona has become very touristy in recent years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BTW the fixed taxi price was €39 but he said it was an airport surcharge?.

It shows customs or not there are always greedy or dishonest people who will happily take your money,tip or another way.

There IS a surcharge for taxis picking up or dropping off at the airport (and at the cruise port) of 3,10 euro -- as is clearly noted in this listing of Barcelona taxi rates:

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/airport/transport/taxi/barcelona-taxi-fares-and-supplements.html

Such a supplement is not uncommon in many places -- including my own local US airport!

It's a wise traveler who does the research rather than blaming 'unscrupulous' drivers.

There IS a surcharge for taxis picking up or dropping off at the airport (and at the cruise port) of 3,10 euro -- as is clearly noted in this listing of Barcelona taxi rates:

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/airport/transport/taxi/barcelona-taxi-fares-and-supplements.html

Such a supplement is not uncommon in many places -- including my own local US airport!

It's a wise traveler who does the research rather than blaming 'unscrupulous' drivers.

We have used Barcelona airport 5 times to the ship port and back to the airport so 10 taxis in the last year and every time it is a fixed price of € 39 and taxi drivers have confirmed this so 1 out of 10 ripped us off then tried not to give me $3 euros change.

I can see both sides.

Ok so I was talking about Rome not Barcelona and each and every time we took a taxi in Rome they started making change

I'll let you know know my experience if and when I take a taxi in Barcelona

But in both Barcelona in 2012 and Rome 2 weeks ago we did not leave nor was a tip expected at a restaurant

Roman taxi all offered me change each and every time we used them

Oh and just because the porters...in Barcelona...happily took your tips doesn't mean that all workers expect tips but honestly porters do have jobs where they see plenty of people from tipping cultures who will tip them.

So of course they take tips. Just like a waiter would take a tip if an uninformed patron from a tipping culture left one

Of course there are exceptions to this theory..

We tried to tip a porter in Palermo once when he put the luggage in the trunk of our rental and he refused it. It surprised us.

However,

I never tipped in roman restaurants

It wasn't expected

I knew if I did I would be out of place

No waiter ran after me demanding a tip either

In Paris I had the pleasure of sitting in a restaurant next to an American military family stationed in Germany

I asked about tipping and they said it was appropriate in Paris

Well I left 10% but hindsight tells me I didn't really need to and that was the only time I left that much

I left a little too much at another restaurant as well

After those 2 meals I stopped leaving 10% and just rounded up a euro Or 2 just in case tipping was expected in Paris.

Again no waiter ran down the street after me

No guilt on my part. Lol because there was nothing to be guilty about

I was following local norms not trying to cheat workers out of tips

Also I never had any type of cover charge added to any restaurant bill anyplace we ate

Edited by luvtheships

A wise traveler will know in the UK and Europe taxes and surcharges are inclusive unlike the US when they stick the price on top of the price advertised.

Apparently not always true -- the surcharge is clearly stated in the link provided.

I can't open the link but when we are Quoted a price that is the price we pay.

Strange how 9 out of 10 taxi drivers charged the Barcelona councils fixed price in the last year and several the year before.

• 4 weeks later...

Be warned cab drivers in Rome love to Rip-off foreigners. We were quoted a price from the cruise terminal to our hotel in Rome when we got to the hotel he wanted double what he quoted, he said the quote was per person, I walked into the hotel and asked them to call the police, he quickly took the original quote and fled,

Be warned cab drivers in Rome love to Rip-off foreigners. We were quoted a price from the cruise terminal to our hotel in Rome when we got to the hotel he wanted double what he quoted, he said the quote was per person, I walked into the hotel and asked them to call the police, he quickly took the original quote and fled,

Thanks for the warning and information on the action you took.

There are bad cab drivers in every city on earth that prey on foreigners, Rome is no better or no worse than most.

I agree but some cities are far worse! Paris, Rio, Egypt, Rome, St Petersburg Russia, Bucharest.

Are all worse, we were just in Bucharest and don't get in a cab unless your hotel calls them.

The most honest and knowledgable cab drivers we have ever found are in London by far!

Edited by goldenrod

In London the official Hackney cab drivers (London black cabs) have to study 'the knowledge' for three years and pass stringent exams. They are not going to risk losing their licences for the sake of an extra few pounds.

Official taxis in Rome have the airport price prominently displayed so how can you get ripped off?

48e I recall just last month

Fwiw we took taxis all over this July as it was scorching in Rome

Always on the meter

Always reasonable prices

If the fare came to 10.5 E for example and I gave the driver 11e each and every one of them immediately started making change for me

I dress like a tourist

I have a strong new York accent

My Italian is weak at best but I know several pertinent phrases that most tourists don't

I don't act like a star struck newbie to Italy perhaps because I'm not

I stick out like a sore thumb nonetheless lol

Nobody ever rips me off though

Why is that I wonder?

I guess I'm not gullible and do lots of research so prices are well known to me

I also know to have my hotel call me a taxi and if getting one from an official taxi stand I make sure they know it's going to me on the meter

And I've never had a taxi driver try to go off the meter either

Go figure

It must be me. Lol

luvtheships

No, it's not you. I travel throughout Europe quite regularly and like you I do my research before I go.

I don't get ripped off either as I am aware of the cost before I get in the taxi.

It's just being astute and letting the taxi drivers know that you have a good idea what the price should be. I also think the fact that I am well travelled and confident helps.

luvtheships

No, it's not you. I travel throughout Europe quite regularly and like you I do my research before I go.

I don't get ripped off either as I am aware of the cost before I get in the taxi.

It's just being astute and letting the taxi drivers know that you have a good idea what the price should be. I also think the fact that I am well travelled and confident helps.

I met a couple near the pantheon and struck up an conversation with them

Image my disgust when the told me they paid 70e from termini to a hotel 2 miles away

They of course went with the guy who just came up to them at the terminal

They were shocked to find out that taxi stands exist in Rome

Oh and they had an American accent too...but definitely not like my no nonsense New York accent

Just an FYI to those that don't get the ny accent thing...it has zero to do with being rough and tough...and 100% to do with being street wise and savvy

Oh and don't confuse street wise with uneducated either

I also think the fact that I am well travelled and confident helps.

I think this is pretty important, the old "fake it 'till you make it" does make a difference. People make themselves targets without realizing it by looking/acting flustered or confused, or even just plain tired.

luvtheships and eurocruiser

You are both so right in your comments. Like a native New Yorker I am also streetwise having grown up in central London. I think with that comes the fact that I am watching people around me as much as they may be watching me.

I am also quite distrustful of people approaching me on the street and never accept things that they try to thrust in my hand.

When I want to get somewhere I look it up and plan the route before I start off, not stop in the middle of the street consulting my map.

luvtheships and eurocruiser

You are both so right in your comments. Like a native New Yorker I am also streetwise having grown up in central London. I think with that comes the fact that I am watching people around me as much as they may be watching me.

I am also quite distrustful of people approaching me on the street and never accept things that they try to thrust in my hand.

When I want to get somewhere I look it up and plan the route before I start off, not stop in the middle of the street consulting my map.

All great ideas and the sort of help we should all take on board to save us being conned.

lol :'):'):')

Omg why anyone wears sneakers and shorts in any large city amazes me

I only wear great flat sole walking shoes or sandals

Mid calf lightweight pants

Breezy linen tops

I don't care if I blend in or not but last time I was in Rome it looked like the entire over 30 yo female population of Rome had the same sense of style