Island Princess Alaska

lbt43

Hey All!

After you get done with your excursions, what are some of your favorite things to do in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau? I know its limited timing usually, after an excursion, but if anyone has something unique, I would love to hear!

Hey All!

After you get done with your excursions, what are some of your favorite things to do in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau? I know its limited timing usually, after an excursion, but if anyone has something unique, I would love to hear!

My wife takes me to the brewpub in each port. She knows where they are and, like a dutiful husband, I simply say, "Yes, Dear" and we head off for some beer. :cool:

My wife takes me to the brewpub in each port. She knows where they are and, like a dutiful husband, I simply say, "Yes, Dear" and we head off for some beer. :cool:

haha love it!

Are they included in the AIBP?

Now that would be great! Since there is no way to get good beer onboard it would be fantastic to be able to use the AIBP on shore. Alas... It is not to be.

More on the Brew Pubs...

We will be on the Island Princess sailing south on 6/14 Almost exactly 10 years to the date we did northbound on the Island with our three kids and big extended family on my in-laws side. This time just DW me and my 70 year old sister and her hubby.

Plan to have lunch in Ketchikan at Annabel's Keg & Chowder House after our float plane to Misty Fjords. To this day our now 28 year old son says best sandwich he has ever had. Then we will walk to the Totem Bight area on a self walking tour.

Skagway we will stop into the Red Onion Saloon, Had a great time there last time after the Chilkoot train up bus back trip.

In Juneau we went to the Red Dog Saloon and the Hangar on the Wharf. Only real plans this trip are the tram up the mountain and find some crab legs.

What ever you do have a blast

I strongly suggest that you not purchase any advance tours in Juneau. The dock area has an abundance of kiosks selling tours that are generally lower, and better than those on the ships. In addition if you want to see the whales, they will tell you what the current conditions are and you can make an informed decision about going or not.

On the other hand, the last time I was in Skagway I took the Ocean Adventure Raft that was outstanding - a great ride and many up close animal encounters on the shore. The only way I could book this for the dates/times we were in port was through the ship.

I would suggest the Totem Bar, next to Annabel's, in Ketchikan. We met some native Alaskans, some ferry workers, and the Alaskan version of Keith Richards. It was, by far, the most interesting stop we made that day. The beer was good too.

In Victoria, we picked up a cab by the Empress Hotel. The fare back to the ship, for four of us, was $11.00, including the tip. Try to avoid the over-priced ship's shuttle.

Hey All!

For most it's not a biggie, but personally, I love good cinnamon rolls so I head down the main street to 5th St, turn left and go 2 blocks down to where I find the Lemon Rose Cafe (my wife says that the coffee is great there too.).

Tom

We like to walk both ways to town in Victoria. :)

We usually do too. In the morning, we walked to the Royal Museum. Our all aboard was at 1:30 pm though, and it was starting to rain, so the taxi was our best option. :)

If you have enough time in Juneau, you can take the tram up the mountain. You just buy tickets there when you get there. $30 each and allows you to go up and down the mountain as much as you want. There is a restaurant up there, but we just enjoyed hiking around a little at the top and the views of the harbor are great.

Ketchikan is a very easy port to walk around the main part of town. The shops there are very touristy, but you can walk past all of those and go to the creek street area.

Skagway is another pretty compact town that you can pretty much walk the whole thing. There are many touristy shops, but there are some authentic local artist's shops crammed in between everything else, a little museum and a botanical garden - all within a short distance to the port.