Charges for adjoining cabins?

Has anyone ever heard of charges on Norwegian to book adjoining cabins? A dear friend is taking her ailing parents and her kids on their first cruise. She just booked two guaranteed inside rooms for the June 24th sailing, but when she asked if they could get adjoining rooms or even rooms across the hall from each other, she was told by her TA that it would be a $1600 fee! Now I've never sailed Norwegian before, but that sounds like either incorrect information or highway robbery to me...or both. When she told me this, I said I'd hop on the CC Norwegian Board and ask all the helpful folks here what their take on this situation is. Advice, insight, suggestions would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance!

With guarantee bookings one can't make any requests about the cabins - you get what ever is available (one cabin can be in fwd on deck 4 and another in aft on deck 10).

The quoted fee most likely comes from upgrading from guarantee to non-guarantee cabins that are more expensive, especially so this close to the cruise date when the inventory is getting thin.

Edited by Demonyte

As Demonyte stated, it definitely sounds like they are paying for an upgrade, rather than guarentee cabins. If your friends makes a "mock" booking online at NCL, she can see what inventory might be available, and the prices they are charging for adjoining cabins. She can then compare that to what she paid for her cruise and call her TA if there is a lesser price than the $1600 the TA is quoting.

You may not be able to see all cabins available by doing a mock booking though. But good idea to call TA or NCL to check on availability.

OP you are going from inside guarantee to adjoining cabins. Cabins across would be balcony cabins so yes that would affect the price.

In that case the "fee" is more than likely the price difference from inside guarantee to the balcony.

Good luck with you search!

As indicated, such a scenario is not possible.

The TA either is playing games, or there is just a mis communication between the friend and the TA. The very next thing I would have done is to go to ncl.com and attempt a booking to see what the prices are.

How important is adjoining cabins?

That's a crock of bull-crap. If you're booking guarantee cabins, NCL assigns them up until 3 or so days prior to sailing and there's absolutely no way to guarantee that guarantee cabins will be connected, the only thing that it guarantees you is a cabin in that category. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. If you absolutely need to be in connecting cabins, do not book GTYs. Your TA is upgrading you to assigned rooms and the difference could be a few hundred each person to get to a non-GTY category.

Has anyone ever heard of charges on Norwegian to book adjoining cabins? A dear friend is taking her ailing parents and her kids on their first cruise. She just booked two guaranteed inside rooms for the June 24th sailing, but when she asked if they could get adjoining rooms or even rooms across the hall from each other, she was told by her TA that it would be a $1600 fee! Now I've never sailed Norwegian before, but that sounds like either incorrect information or highway robbery to me...or both. When she told me this, I said I'd hop on the CC Norwegian Board and ask all the helpful folks here what their take on this situation is. Advice, insight, suggestions would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance!

I think this is complicated by the fact that it's beyond final payment, and there may be a problem changing rooms without an upgrade. I'd recommend that your friend call the TA or NCL and explain the situation and ask if anything can be done to help them. At this point there may not be any adjoining cabins available and it may even take some juggling to put them in adjacent cabins. Again, talking nice to someone may help, but they should do it as soon as possible. It may help that they haven't been assigned their rooms yet because NCL might be more inclined to be helpful if it doesn't mean moving people already assigned.. Good luck to them.

Thank you all for the excellent clarifications! Tonight I'll go on ncl and do a mock booking to check availability and prices. Many thanks!

Thank you to Original Poster (OP).

Please come back when you can tell us a bit more.