Formal Night

Dawnn.Marie

As mentioned in several posts, the approach varies a lot between cruise lines. If important, and it probably should be because it often reflects the overall atmosphere of the cruise line, just ask on the forum dedicated to the cruise li e of interest.

Or in a subset of the culture.

This whole thread evidences the significant difference between predominant thinking within the various sociocultural segments of a diverse population. Not that one is any better than the other. It's just that they are different.

What I find interesting about CC is the number of people who complain about the behavior/policies/etc of the cruise lines they use yet continue to frequent them for reasons which appear to be largely economic. You'd think they'd figure out how best to afford what would better meet their needs and preferences.

I don't know how to alter this phenomena (nor would I want to). Rather, I can say with confidence that I have found the cruise line that works best for us. We've recently dubbed it "geezer summer camp" (though we are by no means "geezers"). When we were younger, other family oriented lines worked better for us (despite the gosh awful food). Too bad there was no Disney Cruise Line then.

Bottom line of this Saturday opinion piece is that folks really need to do their in-depth homework in picking cruise lines, itineraries, travel agents, etc and not rely solely on forums like CC for information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Think about it a minute- do you really want all of those complainers sailing on your favorite line? Do you think that would really stop them from complaining? I don't, because people love to complain. Yes, the cruise line they pick is largely economic and there are a number of factors that play into that. I personally gear my expectations towards where I am and what I am paying and it I am paying more my expectations would be that much higher.

I personally gear my expectations towards where I am and what I am paying and it I am paying more my expectations would be that much higher.
That makes a lot of sense but "sense" is really the problem. The kind of complaining that you were referring to stems from the fact that whatever cruise line, whatever cruise ship, whatever itinerary some people are going to consider it expensive regardless. "You may not consider xxx to be a lot of money but I do!!!!" They're comparing the cost to not spending the money instead of comparing the cost to the cost of other options. That kind of complaining you were referring to there for reflects a lack of perspective. It is grounded in a nonsensical assumption that once you go past a certain dollar amount whatever you're buying should be literally "ideal".

By the same token there's also a problem with strictly basing expectations on dollar amount. The only truly reliable foundation for expectations are explicit promises. Generally they're not explicit enough to craft fully-formed expectations though, but it is important to note that expectations of our own design, even if based on dollar amount, may not be legitimate.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

OP re-read Sparks1093 quote from Carnival again. That's all you need to know.

Here's what Carnival has to say about dress on Cruise Elegant night:

"Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire"

And BTW the term "Cruise Elegant" is simply a marketing/communications term used by a business to 'make an impression' with consumers. It might not be the Royal Family's version of elegant but who cares what their version of elegant is, you are not sailing on the Royal yacht.

If you don't think businesses inflate words to make an impresion ask yourself;

Is a Whopper really that big?

Is that "New and Improved" product really N&I just because they changed the label?

Does Every Kiss really begin with Kay?

And it's not limited to businesses.

Is your plumber really a 'Drain Surgeon"?

Is the sub at your local submarine shop really made by a ‘sandwich artist’?

And did you ever wonder how many years of post-secondary education it took for the guy who cleans your building to become a custodial engineer?

That makes a lot of sense but "sense" is really the problem. The kind of complaining that you were referring to stems from the fact that whatever cruise line, whatever cruise ship, whatever itinerary some people are going to consider it expensive regardless. "You may not consider xxx to be a lot of money but I do!!!!" They're comparing the cost to not spending the money instead of comparing the cost to the cost of other options. That kind of complaining you were referring to there for reflects a lack of perspective. It is grounded in a nonsensical assumption that once you go past a certain dollar amount whatever you're buying should be literally "ideal".

By the same token there's also a problem with strictly basing expectations on dollar amount. The only truly reliable foundation for expectations are explicit promises. Generally they're not explicit enough to craft fully-formed expectations though, but it is important to note that expectations of our own design, even if based on dollar amount, may not be legitimate.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Pretty much, yep.

Here's what Carnival has to say about dress on Cruise Elegant night:

"Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire"

As mentioned some people will wear items on the not permitted list but I have read about people being turned away. Basically if you wear business casual you won't stick out. DW and I usually do take advantage of the photo ops so we do dress up. On our next cruise I'll bring my tux and she'll bring a gown since we're celebrating our 25th anniversary and want to capture the moment in a special way. (I expect that I'll be one of the very few passengers in a tux and may be mistaken for the maitre'd:D.)

Happy Anniversary, Sparks1093!

OP - If I have the correct poster you are female, and it reads to me like they expect a little more from women. My husband will probably wear dress slacks, long sleeved dress shirt, and probably tie - standard work/church clothes (with the tie being for weddings/funerals/big meetings). This seems to meet guidelines for men, but it looks like they want a little fancier than "Sunday Best" for women. If you do not have anything "elegant" you can dress up office/church wear with accessories (wrap, jewelry). You won't be wearing anything from the not permitted list and still keeping with the spirit of the dress code and respecting your host.

Happy Anniversary, Sparks1093!

OP - If I have the correct poster you are female, and it reads to me like they expect a little more from women. My husband will probably wear dress slacks, long sleeved dress shirt, and probably tie - standard work/church clothes (with the tie being for weddings/funerals/big meetings). This seems to meet guidelines for men, but it looks like they want a little fancier than "Sunday Best" for women. If you do not have anything "elegant" you can dress up office/church wear with accessories (wrap, jewelry). You won't be wearing anything from the not permitted list and still keeping with the spirit of the dress code and respecting your host.

Thanks!

How in the world could anyone ever consider "long pants and collared shirt" to be "elegant?"

They don't. But one knows that when they book a cruise on Carnival. Long pants and a Tommy Bahama shirt work fine for Cruise Elegant, shorts and a polo or shirt described above work for all the others.

P - If I have the correct poster you are female, and it reads to me like they expect a little more from women. My husband will probably wear dress slacks, long sleeved dress shirt, and probably tie - standard work/church clothes (with the tie being for weddings/funerals/big meetings). This seems to meet guidelines for men, but it looks like they want a little fancier than "Sunday Best" for women.
Hmmm... The specification of "pantsuits" (for women) seems to be pretty congruent with (if not even more casual than) the specification of "dress slacks, dress shirts" (for men).

Yes, you can bail on formal nights. Many cruise lines/ships have alternate dining venues that do not have the same dress requirements on formal evenings.

We stopped bothering with formal nights, at DW's suggestion, a number of years ago. It started in the Caribbean. DW asked me, who wore suits every day, why we would bother with formal nights on a warn weather vacation. That was it for both of us. Besides, we are not really into Mr and Mrs Dress up...particularly when we have to pack clothing to do it.

We have since attended a few. Frankly the quality of the food, variety, and prep has gone down no much that even though formal nights are much more casual our tendency would be to skip them. Now that we are retired, travel frequently, for longer periods, and with carry on only we do not even think about formal nights, gala nights, whatever they call them.