Norwegian vs. Royal Caribbean...

lockone

1. The OP asked a question that has been beaten to death over & over.

2. "Sauer-kraut" suggest the OP use the search function first instead of asking the question again.

3. Other people became angry at Sauer-kraut for suggesting the search function because they thought he was "rude".

4. I chimed in to explain how Sauer-kraut is not rude but actually more helpful then elaborated on the search function & reviews and why others should not take offense.

5. Your right, this is an ongoing discussion with lots of helpful tips.

6. How did you help?

Telling people to just go search IS rude. And you specifically said that instead of starting a new thread, the poster should have just searched the forum.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I agree with your observation of "Away" class. I will definitely be looking into Oasis-class.

My only concern is drink service. I desire to lay out in the sun during the day and still be served drinks like I have on "Away" and "Jewel" classes, along with other classes on RCCL. I always tip at least $2 on pool-side service per round. I don't want to get lost in the mix on such a big ship. Is there any issue of this on such a large ship? I could care less for a robot making me a drink :rolleyes:

Oasis-class is not remotely in the same category as Escape. Escape feels crowded and you absolutely notice the extra 2,000 people because the ship is marginally bigger than a mid size ship and packed full of extra people. Oasis is totally different from the ground up. You wouldn't notice the people because it's actually designed well. So when you say "what is the draw" - it's the extensive entertainment and venues, including lots of quiet, serene spots like Central Park and the Solarium. The draw and all the rave about Oasis is that it's probably the least crowded mass market ship you can sail on, despite having so many more people and things to do.

I'm about the same age as you. I have sailed multiple times on Oasis-class ships then went to Escape. Escape has narrow hallways, low ceilings, lots of chokepoints, way overcrowded upper decks, etc. Oasis is the opposite. Lots of space, soaring venues, room to breath and walk around, relax, etc. I wouldn't sail -Away class again but I already have my next Oasis booked, can't wait.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I agree with your observation of "Away" class. I will definitely be looking into Oasis-class.

My only concern is drink service. I desire to lay out in the sun during the day and still be served drinks like I have on "Away" and "Jewel" classes, along with other classes on RCCL. I always tip at least $2 on pool-side service per round. I don't want to get lost in the mix on such a big ship. Is there any issue of this on such a large ship? I could care less for a robot making me a drink :rolleyes:

You have to get the "such a big ship" idea out of your head. They have more workers and less crowding. Everything you seem to be worried about, just isn't reality. -Away class isn't a mega ship. It's a large ship and Escape, as it's class name implies, is just a plus sized version of the same. I don't think anyone considers Carnival Magic a megaship yet Breakaway is only 10% bigger with a VERY similar design. The design of these mid/large ships is the same old tired design with poor crowd control and overcrowding. The large NCL ships -Away class, shrinks the common areas even more and smashes more and more people into them. A ship like Oasis is the exact opposite.

On Escape, other than the Haven, I never saw a single person delivering drinks pool side and the bar was 2 or 3 deep often. Again, Oasis is the opposite. I had no trouble getting drinks, at least in the solarium, by a pool side server and the bars are rarely excessively crowded.

That said, all cruise ships are really nice and have a lot to offer - -Away class included, and in many cases, I'd even say Escape is perfect for certain people. But you do have options and it makes sense to at least try an Oasis class cruise at some point. I don't know anyone who will "only sail -Away" but I do know quite a few who will only sail Oasis. It's that unique.

100% hands down Royal. We love the Oasis class ships. Have done the Breakaway, Getaway, Oasis, and Allure. Upcoming cruises on the Bliss (was not my choice - extended family cruise) and the Harmony. For us right now Royal works best. With 4 pools the Oasis class ships win every cruise line pool battle. Royal has plenty of family friendly entertainment (at least one musical, ice skating shows, and aqua/diving shows). Daughter likes the rock climbing wall and is waiting to be tall enough to do the Flow Rider on her own. The specialty restaurants were excellent. Had no problem finding good food when we were hungry. We love the chocolate breakfast too. Ship almost never felt crowded and there were plenty of places to feel you were "on the water". (On NCL - 2 small pools and pool deck are ridiculously crowded and "family" entertainment was terrible/nonexistent. Won't be sailing with NCL after our Bliss cruise, which is insanely expensive - Harmony is literally half the price for same room category.)

Edited by Donna_In_India

100% hands down Royal. We love the Oasis class ships. Have done the Breakaway, Getaway, Oasis, and Allure. Upcoming cruises on the Bliss (was not my choice - extended family cruise) and the Harmony. For us right now Royal works best. With 4 pools the Oasis class ships win every cruise line pool battle. Royal has plenty of family friendly entertainment (at least one musical, ice skating shows, and aqua/diving shows). Daughter likes the rock climbing wall and is waiting to be tall enough to do the Flow Rider on her own. The specialty restaurants were excellent. Had no problem finding good food when we were hungry. We love the chocolate breakfast too. Ship almost never felt crowded and there were plenty of places to feel you were "on the water". (On NCL - 2 small pools and pool deck are ridiculously crowded and "family" entertainment was terrible/nonexistent. Won't be sailing with NCL after our Bliss cruise, which is insanely expensive - Harmony is literally half the price for same room category.)

Looks like Oasis ruined everything else for you, too. Lol. ;p

Looks like Oasis ruined everything else for you, too. Lol. ;p
Not for us.

We were amazed on Allure, but we loved Freedom a lot. And Anthem, Explorer, Brilliance, Grandeur and Splendor.

And with NCL we prefer Jewel class over Breakaway.

Aah! A year old thread rises from the doldrums.

My original reply hasn't changed, but it is amusing to watch the loyalists debate with each other over which is better.

You've jumped the gun. It will not be a year old until next month.

And any way, you are late on the call, since there have been more than 50 posts since this thread rose from the dead and you post about it being almost eleven months old.

You'll enjoy Escape I'm sure, but NCL doesn't compete Royal on the mega ships. Escape isn't really a "mega ship" anyways. You should consider an Oasis-class sailing sometime in the future to see what makes them so different and popular.

It;s the biggest ship we will have ever been on :) I find RCCL prices high and we are budget travelers. However, itinerary is key, then price when booking. For us the 3/4th people free makes it possible for us to go many places.

It;s the biggest ship we will have ever been on :) I find RCCL prices high and we are budget travelers. However, itinerary is key, then price when booking. For us the 3/4th people free makes it possible for us to go many places.

There is no bad cruise! Escape has a lot to offer and you'll enjoy it. I'm a huge fan of Oasis class yet I have a Carnival Magic cruise booked next year. As you know, itinerary and price can matter!

Not for us.

We were amazed on Allure, but we loved Freedom a lot. And Anthem, Explorer, Brilliance, Grandeur and Splendor.

And with NCL we prefer Jewel class over Breakaway.

We too prefer Jewel Class. the mega ships are fine for some but for us, the smaller, more personalized ships are what we love.