Norwegian vs. Royal Caribbean...

lockone

What? The Escape is about the same size as Royal Caribbean's Quantum class, which is Royal Caribbean's second largest class. A ship doesn't have to be over 200,000 GT to be a mega ship.

I don't consider Quantum a mega-ship either, though I would consider it more than Escape. The term is really not something defined, but to me, Escape just feels like a normal large ship. Nothing innovative about the design, it really just feels like they made all the spaces smaller to fit more people, on an outdated typical old design, made it a little bigger. But I think the real reason I don't like calling ships like Escape mega-ships is because a ship like Oasis doesn't have it's own unique term to clearly differentiate it. I wouldn't call Quantum a mega-ship for the same reason. So when you see people write things like "I sailed Escape, it's too crowded, too many people, can't get a chair by the pool, I would never sail a mega-ship again, especially not something even bigger" - you kind of cringe because it's so inaccurate and lumps a ship like Oasis, which is substantially larger and not remotely in the same class as Quantum and Escape, into the same category. For me, mega-ships have a ground up rethinking of ship design and are truly "mega"... and only one class of ship is groundbreaking and fits that description. Oasis is 35% bigger than Escape and Quantum, that's not even close to the same category of ship. Carnival is coming out with their LNG ships soon, I'm curious to see what they do with them. They had some amazing looking concepts for mega ships in the past, and it would be awesome if more lines would compete in this category - think of the innovation!

I don’t mind people being loyal to a cruise line. But, to the RCCL loyalists posting here, some of the information you’re posting is just plain wrong (number of dining venues, mega ship definition, etc).

Those who come for honest info to make a decision can’t do it with incorrect information.

I understand your RCCL loyalty. I’ve sailed them, on some of their biggest and newest ships. They put out a nice experience.

I’ve always enjoyed NCL. They are innovative, and have ships as beautiful as any sailing today. I really like some of their unique features like Freestyle, al Fresco dining and drinking venues, Cirque themed shows, Haven ship within a ship, and so many others.

I’be been enamored with MSC’s megaships recently too, which are outright gorgeous!

Let’s be fair to those who are trying to get honest info.

I don’t mind people being loyal to a cruise line. But, to the RCCL loyalists posting here, some of the information you’re posting is just plain wrong (number of dining venues, mega ship definition, etc).

Those who come for honest info to make a decision can’t do it with incorrect information.

I understand your RCCL loyalty. I’ve sailed them, on some of their biggest and newest ships. They put out a nice experience.

I’ve always enjoyed NCL. They are innovative, and have ships as beautiful as any sailing today. I really like some of their unique features like Freestyle, al Fresco dining and drinking venues, Cirque themed shows, Haven ship within a ship, and so many others.

I’be been enamored with MSC’s megaships recently too, which are outright gorgeous!

Let’s be fair to those who are trying to get honest info.

I think it's unfair and providing misleading information to lump ships that are 65,000gt apart into the same category. How is someone new supposed to comprehend the difference?

And as for complimentary dining venues, what was incorrect about that as well? I take accuracy seriously. To suggest "just plain wrong", please back up that statement.

I like NCL much better than Royal. More food available at different times. Better activities

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Eh... woke up on Gem at 2 am. Wanted to grab something and go back to my cabin to eat and fall back to sleep.

Went to O’Sheehans. They of course were open. Asked for a cheesecake to go... Been told.

-No.

- You need to eat here or order Room Service ( who wants to wake up whole cabin?)

Promenade cafe on Royal ships and I think pizzeria (but not sure) let you have to go.

Disclaimer : I am not Royal loyalist. I’m not loyalist at all. We sail 8 lines. 36 cruises. 10 and 7 with Royal and NCL respectively. They both sail conveniently close to our location. :)

I think it's unfair and providing misleading information to lump ships that are 65,000gt apart into the same category. How is someone new supposed to comprehend the difference?

And as for complimentary dining venues, what was incorrect about that as well? I take accuracy seriously. To suggest "just plain wrong", please back up that statement.

Gladly.....

-Taste

-Savor

-Manhattan or Tropicana

-Garden Cafe

-O’Sheehans

-Shanghai’s

And, if you get the Specialty Dining Package, which usually comes with the mid-level cabins, add the following at no charge....

-Moderno

-Tepanyaki

-LeBistro

-LaCucina

-Cagneys

And probably others depending on ship.

Again, just keeping the things accurate, as you wish.

Let’s make this helpful for those who are looking for factual data to make up their minds.

Taste, Savor, Manhattan is a different rooms of MDR.

Then Quantum class has 4 :) Grande, Silk, Chic, American Icon Grill

Garden Cafe is a buffet, correct? Well, all ships have it.

O’Sheehans vs Promenade Cafe & Sorrento’s

Not sure what Shanghai’s . Quantum class has another venue near club two70 with sandwiches and other stuff

Eh... woke up on Gem at 2 am. Wanted to grab something and go back to my cabin to eat and fall back to sleep.

Went to O’Sheehans. They of course were open. Asked for a cheesecake to go... Been told.

-No.

- You need to eat here or order Room Service ( who wants to wake up whole cabin?)

Promenade cafe on Royal ships and I think pizzeria (but not sure) let you have to go.

Disclaimer : I am not Royal loyalist. I’m not loyalist at all. We sail 8 lines. 36 cruises. 10 and 7 with Royal and NCL respectively. They both sail conveniently close to our location. :)

This policy has been in effect for about 3or 4 years. Most do not like it, I understand but at least NCL does offer something for those who want to grab a bite in the middle of the night. I am not one that takes food to our cabin so I don't know about RCI and their policy.

What exactly is the draw to "Oasis" class of RCCL? If you can tell me what, I'd be happy to listen.

I am in my lower 30s and have sailed Escape and other "Away" classes, among others in the Jewel class (which I much prefer). The only value Escape even offered me was the District Brewhouse and Robert Mondavi Winebar. The water slides only attract the kids and families which causes disruption and chaos.

There is a difference in serenity on larger cruise ships than those of mid-size ships. I'm not buying that I don't notice the extra 1-2K of extra people. I do notice :confused:

What exactly is the draw to "Oasis" class of RCCL? If you can tell me what, I'd be happy to listen.

I am in my lower 30s and have sailed Escape and other "Away" classes, among others in the Jewel class (which I much prefer). The only value Escape even offered me was the District Brewhouse and Robert Mondavi Winebar. The water slides only attract the kids and families which causes disruption and chaos.

There is a difference in serenity on larger cruise ships than those of mid-size ships. I'm not buying that I don't notice the extra 1-2K of extra people. I do notice :confused:

Oasis-class is not remotely in the same category as Escape. Escape feels crowded and you absolutely notice the extra 2,000 people because the ship is marginally bigger than a mid size ship and packed full of extra people. Oasis is totally different from the ground up. You wouldn't notice the people because it's actually designed well. So when you say "what is the draw" - it's the extensive entertainment and venues, including lots of quiet, serene spots like Central Park and the Solarium. The draw and all the rave about Oasis is that it's probably the least crowded mass market ship you can sail on, despite having so many more people and things to do.

I'm about the same age as you. I have sailed multiple times on Oasis-class ships then went to Escape. Escape has narrow hallways, low ceilings, lots of chokepoints, way overcrowded upper decks, etc. Oasis is the opposite. Lots of space, soaring venues, room to breath and walk around, relax, etc. I wouldn't sail -Away class again but I already have my next Oasis booked, can't wait.

What exactly is the draw to "Oasis" class of RCCL?

If you are interested in the Oasis class, then that is the draw. If you are not interested in the Oasis class, then there is no draw for you. Choosing a cruise ship is like choosing a restaurant, home, or auto. You pick the one you like and you let others pick the ones that they like.

Why do people jump out of perfectly good airplanes? Why do people claim up the side of a building when the elevators inside the building are working just fine? Why do people walk across a canyon on a tightrope when there is a perfectly good bridge down the road aways?

Gladly.....

-Taste

-Savor

-Manhattan or Tropicana

-Garden Cafe

-O’Sheehans

-Shanghai’s

And, if you get the Specialty Dining Package, which usually comes with the mid-level cabins, add the following at no charge....

-Moderno

-Tepanyaki

-LeBistro

-LaCucina

-Cagneys

And probably others depending on ship.

Again, just keeping the things accurate, as you wish.

Let’s make this helpful for those who are looking for factual data to make up their minds.

So yes, you have the MDR, O'Sheehans, and the Buffet as complimentary options along with Shanghai's on some ships. Lol. Nice try. Taste, Savor, and Manhattan are MDR's and I'm almost certain have the same menu (correct me if I'm wrong).

RCCL:

- Johnny Rockets for breakfast

- MDR (3 of them + Coastal Kitchen)

- Solarium Bistro

- Park Cafe

- Cafe Promenade

- Windjammer

- Boardwalk Doghouse

- Sorrentos

- Mini Bites

- Vitality Cafe

plus 7 upcharge restaurants.

If you are interested in the Oasis class, then that is the draw. If you are not interested in the Oasis class, then there is no draw for you. Choosing a cruise ship is like choosing a restaurant, home, or auto. You pick the one you like and you let others pick the ones that they like.

That does not quite answer my question. Let me rephrase: How would you "sell me" that I should be interested in Oasis class? What does it have that makes it competitively better than other classes?

That does not quite answer my question. Let me rephrase: How would you "sell me" that I should be interested in Oasis class? What does it have that makes it competitively better than other classes?

Why ask me, I am not the one making that claim. I spent one week on the Allure. I enjoyed the cruise, but I am not drawn to the ship. That said, that was before Coastal Kitchen. So I have booked a cruise on the Oasis for next year in a suite so I can check out the Coastal Kitchen. My favorite Royal Caribbean ships are the Navigator and Mariner. However, if I was taking young kids (three to eleven), I would lean toward the Liberty of the Seas or the Oasis class.

I've been away from Carnival for a while, so sooner or later I have to book either the Breeze or Magic and the Vista (or any future Vista class ships). Still, so far my favorite Carnival ships are the Spirit class (about the same size and shape of the Radiance class - but I don't like the layout of the Radiance class).

Tatka, I sailed on Royal and they had nothing to eat except for a snack between 3 pm and 5:30pm. I had to grab stuff from the buffet and keep it in my room so I didn’t starve.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well.. Promenade cafe closes at 3 . I know. Somehow I don’t feel the urge after 3 am, as I am in gym by 6 am. :)

There is food service, although paid 24/7.

But why or why open venue won’t let you to have a dish outside? We have 7 cruises with NCL, and are going on 8th on Star in August from Venice. We are not anti-NCL, just find this odd.

Did you know that there is a search function? If you typed your title into the little search box for the forum, you'd get a BUNCH of reviews/threads that will answer your question.

This is actually the best piece of advice given on this thread.

The "Search Function" is a great function on this site, use it before starting another.

The RC vs NCL has been asked 100,000 times.

Instead of starting a new thread, do a little research first and find the existing threads. it is very easy.

Also read the "member reviews" of the different ships is a very good resource. Do the work yourself.

Just because you don't like a response does not mean they are being rude. Typed text does not have tone or inflection.

Stop being so hyper-sensitive and get out of the "being offended" state of mind. Much to much of that today.,...

Edited by matj2000

This is actually the best piece of advice given on this thread.

The "Search Function" is a great function on this site, use it before starting another.

The RC vs NCL has been asked 100,000 times.

Instead of starting a new thread, do a little research first and find the existing threads. it is very easy.

Also read the "member reviews" of the different ships that is a very good resource. Do the work yourself.

Just because you don't like a response does not mean they are being rude. Typed text does not have tone or inflection.

Stop being so hyper-sensitive and get out of the "being offended" state of mind. Much to much of that today.,...

This is a discussion forum, not a reference guide. Who cares if a topic has been discussed prior? If you aren't interested in the topic anymore, then don't partake in the discussion about it.

This is a discussion forum, not a reference guide. Who cares if a topic has been discussed prior? If you aren't interested in the topic anymore, then don't partake in the discussion about it.

1. The OP asked a question that has been beaten to death over & over.

2. "Sauer-kraut" suggest the OP use the search function first instead of asking the question again.

3. Other people became angry at Sauer-kraut for suggesting the search function because they thought he was "rude".

4. I chimed in to explain how Sauer-kraut is not rude but actually more helpful then elaborated on the search function & reviews and why others should not take offense.

5. Your right, this is an ongoing discussion with lots of helpful tips.

6. How did you help?