What the heck is a medallion?

Bently57

True, they've said the picture is not contained on the medallion. The FAQ language is somewhat confusing, but it seems clear to me that they're saying that, somehow, a person other than you who is holding your medallion won't be able to open the door to your cabin. That statement is in close proximity to a statement about the medallion being linked in their database to a picture, hence my suspicion that the two go together somehow.

It may imply that, but as others have posted, there is no practical way to make it work.

Facial recognition technology is still far from perfect despite what you see on TV shows such as NCIS. Look at the posts from the Majestic that say not all of their photos show up with the photo recognition software being used by the Photo Gallery along with the photos that show up that they are not a part of.

The photo in their onboard security system may not look like you for a number of reasons such as if you wore glasses for the photo but are not wearing them when the system tries to figure out if it is really you.

How many times have you borrowed your cabinmate's cruise card to get into your cabin because you left your card there? That would not be possible with the Medallion if facial recognition was required.

What the ability to show your photo when making a purchase does is make it impossible to borrow someone's card with the beverage package on it and try to get a beverage with it.

Haven't seen what's going to be on the Medallion except your name. Will the Muster and dining assignment also be on the Medallion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's supposed to have your name, the ship name, and the voyage. It's a "one and done" thing just like the cruise card.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's supposed to have your name, the ship name, and the voyage. It's a "one and done" thing just like the cruise card.

maxresdefault.jpg

But the cruise card also has the Dining assignment and Muster station front and center. So the pax, in the midst of an emergency, have to find a reader to find their Muster station, because, of course, they've forgotten which room to go to.

Wonder what'll happen if the system shuts down. How will they figure out their Muster stations then? Sometimes Old School works. Been in a Carnival ship when the ATD hostess computer failed. Never want to go thru that again. Made Princess letting any one into ATD MDR child's play.

But the cruise card also has the Dining assignment and Muster station front and center. So the pax, in the midst of an emergency, have to find a reader to find their Muster station, because, of course, they've forgotten which room to go to.

Wonder what'll happen if the system shuts down. How will they figure out their Muster stations then? Sometimes Old School works. Been in a Carnival ship when the ATD hostess computer failed. Never want to go thru that again. Made Princess letting any one into ATD MDR child's play.

Are you really going to forget which DR to eat at or where your muster station is?

If so, just walk up to any of the numerous screens around the ship & check it out.

If the system goes down you'll have more problems than just finding your DR.

I can see forgetting the muster in a panic. .not everyone responds the same way in an emergency. As far as for the dinner info...i can see their point. This will cause longer lines speaking with the maitre d as people will be trying to confirm if they have the right dining time and like us if we truly were linked with our cruise friends and are at the same table. ...unless hopefully this system will allow us to access that either on a screen or in the room on the tv we can pick dining and it will show us what dining room, time (if TD)and what table we are at. I for 1 know this is something we look at when we are traveling with friends as we always as for a table for just us 4...so as not to make others feel weird or left out of our banter. If the system doesn't then it is either a paper delivered to room which defeats the purpose of trying to be 21st century or people will be calling dine line or in line to check the info somewhere ....we will see in about 6 mths what, where and how we will be getting all this info we took for granted being right on our cards.

Oh and I do have friends that cruise where one does have some memory issues so having the info on the card has helped him out. ..several times.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Are you really going to forget which DR to eat at or where your muster station is?

If so, just walk up to any of the numerous screens around the ship & check it out.

If the system goes down you'll have more problems than just finding your DR.

If I remember correctly, using one of those screens or your personal digital device is how Princess says you will know your dining assignment.

As far as the muster station, that information is on the back of your cabin door. And the life vest will have the station letter on it so crew can assist you. However, for safety's sake, it would be better to have the station letter also on the Medallion if you need to go to your staion in an emergency without being able to get to your cabin first.

If I remember correctly, using one of those screens or your personal digital device is how Princess says you will know your dining assignment.

As far as the muster station, that information is on the back of your cabin door. And the life vest will have the station letter on it so crew can assist you. However, for safety's sake, it would be better to have the station letter also on the Medallion if you need to go to your staion in an emergency without being able to get to your cabin first.

Having it in your cabin is only good if you're in your cabin AND remember to read your door.

I'm all for technology but old school is better in some situations. Been thru too many earthquakes without power etc to think technology will always be available. I'm the odd one that has a flashlight on my lanyard.

Maybe I'll bring a Sharpie.

Edited by SadieN

Having it in your cabin is only good if you're in your cabin AND remember to read your door.

I'm all for technology but old school is better in some situations.

All that was on your cruise card was the muster station letter (Example: F)

Looking at your card in an emergency would not tell you which physical location to go to although a crew member could tell you. Most people probably remember the physical location from the embarkation day muster drill.

On embarkation day we always look at the back of the door to see where the muster station for our cabin is located. Even if we did not do this, our cabin steward when first meeting us always has always told us where it is located.

Whatever...

My muster station is listed in my cabin. I attend muster drill right after embarkation. I can remember where it is. It's an important thing to pay attention to. It's not my problem if others don't pay attention. . I sincerely doubt that those who don't know where their muster station is will actually remember they can look at the cruise card for that information. Even if they do remember they aren't going to know where Muster Station E is located. Give me a break.

Those who want to "crash" ATD will likely be able to do so anyway as the Princess staff tries to avoid confrontation.

Edited by Thrak

...... Anybody who fails to attend muster drill and thus figure out exactly where their muster station can drown.

Wow!

Hopefully you're just tired or not feeling well and not truly wishing others should die. I've never read you being like this.

Though I have experienced this sentiment from other Princess cruisers about pax who aren't like them, so it doesn't come as a big surprise.

No one know exactly how they'll react in an emergency. Most only know how they hope to react.

As far as for the dinner info...i can see their point. This will cause longer lines speaking with the maitre d as people will be trying to confirm if they have the right dining time and like us if we truly were linked with our cruise friends and are at the same table. ...unless hopefully this system will allow us to access that either on a screen or in the room on the tv we can pick dining and it will show us what dining room, time (if TD)and what table we are at.

The information contained in your Cruise Personalizer (dining assignment, excursions booked, Specialty Dining reservations, spa reservations, etc.) will all map over to your Medallion experience and will be accessible on your tv, your Compass and on the touch screens placed throughout the ship.

Really? I would hope that most people would be able to remember, and return to, the room where their muster

drill was held, a few days prior, at the beginning of their cruise.

If they can't handle that, they probably shouldn't be cruising alone.

And, gasp, hopefully even remember some of the emergency instructions that were covered during the drill.

Further, if they return to their cabin, collect their lifejacket, a head covering, and any medication they may require,

they can check the front of the lifejacket for the muster station.

WRT to using the current cruise card to find your muster station ... it seems like every cruise I come back to the

ship -- and the person in line ahead of me -- presumably knowing they will have to show their cruise card to

security at the foot of the gangway still has to spend 10 minutes digging through a bag of beach detritus for their card.

I don't think they're really going to find their muster station on their cruise card in an emergency.

When Medallion cruising is up and running on the Royal Class ships, will they do away with that silly system of needing to insert your card into the slot to activate the lighting? Yes, I realize that any ol' card will work. But it would be a bit odd for Princess to say: "Please bring with you an old hotel key card such as your room key from the Holiday Inn Express you stayed at last month and use that to activate your cabin's light switches." "Keyless Cruising" should mean keyless lighting.

Wow..just WOW!!!

The friend I mentioned above does travel with his wife, and while on most days he is completely fine, but has dementia and has had episodes of not knowing where he is, how he got there. In about an hour or so he is better...should he not get to cruise...should he drown?

I also have lived through having a grandmother who I just had hours of conversation with ask me to get her a drink, I get up to get it and when I return I startle her and she is physically scared down to her soul as she has no idea where she is, who I am and 100% feels I am there to harm her......I WISH THIS ON NO ONE, it is heart breaking and gut wrenching! But for you to make those blatant comments that if people have memory issues perhaps they shouldn't travel alone or drown. That is uncalled for. You clearly have never had to deal with a family member who suffers with dementia or Alzheimer's and I hope you never have to...but they are still people and deserve to have a life as well. Both of these episodes took place during a normal day so I can only imagine how sirens and panic would cause them to feel. Show some compassion.

Clearly you think you know it all so I hope that you 100% know how you will react in a situation like this, but despite your cruel words if I came upon you in an emergency situation where you had lost your composure and/or needed help I would still help as that is the type of person I am. If you are tired of hearing/reading people's questions and comments on what could be, what will be and how this medallion will work than perhaps you should either stop reading those threads or stay off CC until everything is out and done. What is it our parents taught us....if you cant say something nice then don't say anything at all! This site was supposed to be about helping each other out, posting questions, what ifs and seeking a community of people who like ourselves enjoy cruising and talking of cruising. But when you start making remarks that we are all paranoid, on drugs, drinking the Kool-Aid, stupid and if we cant remember how to get somewhere in an emergency should just drown that is when I feel you cross a line. It is disrespectful and down right vicious and cruel. This site used to be so wonderful to come to and read about others adventures that hopefully one day I would do as well......now it seems to be filled with bitter nasty people making unnecessary comments. It is in our nature to wonder about something new and want to discuss it. But is kind of tuff when we have what I can only describe as a form of a cyber bully calling us names. Most people don't like change, and as has been said on these threads plenty of times think if the general age group on these cruises. They are not ones to take to new technology fast...not saying that all older generations don't like tech, but some don't and others don't want to deal with it on vacay as they are there to unplug and unwind...Escape Completely!

Wow..just WOW!!!

The friend I mentioned above does travel with his wife, and while on most days he is completely fine, but has dementia and has had episodes of not knowing where he is, how he got there. In about an hour or so he is better...should he not get to cruise...should he drown?

He really should't be allowed to be alone to make any important decisions. After all would they allow him off the ship by himself? it's doubtful.

The new Medallions should at least solve the problem of finding him on the ship.

When Medallion cruising is up and running on the Royal Class ships, will they do away with that silly system of needing to insert your card into the slot to activate the lighting? Yes, I realize that any ol' card will work. But it would be a bit odd for Princess to say: "Please bring with you an old hotel key card such as your room key from the Holiday Inn Express you stayed at last month and use that to activate your cabin's light switches." "Keyless Cruising" should mean keyless lighting.

I've always though that they would have activated the slot to work the lights with only a cruise card. Maybe it'll work now since the Medallions are coming so it will save energy. It would be a nice feature without having to insert my card each time I enter the room. ;)

He really should't be allowed to be alone to make any important decisions. After all would they allow him off the ship by himself? it's doubtful.

The new Medallions should at least solve the problem of finding him on the ship.

He wasn't making important decisions he was at trivia with past cruise friends and then was heading back to the room, another time he went back to the buffet to get more food while his wife was at the table. It is not a set in stone type of disease of when things will happen or when he or anyone will be ok or not ok. But majority of the time he is fine and can function just fine. Should a person who suffers from seizures not be left alone because no one knows when they will have an episode...should they not be allowed to live and vacation? All I am stating is have some compassion and don't make blanket statements about people when we don't know their individual issues. Pretty sure the people on Costa Concordia thought they would know what to do, until suddenly faced with the reality of the ship is sinking...I can sit there and listen to the muster every time and know it by heart but until that moment happens I would like to think I would be calm and be able to rationalize how to get to where I need to go.....but as we have seen in other emergencies that doesn't happen...stampedes at explosions where people just run and others get trampled.....lets face it in fight or flight mode some are calm and help others and themselves, others fall apart completely and others think of just themselves even doing more harm to others while trying to get out. But the comment of saying that people should drown if they cant remember how to get somewhere is just vile in my opinion and was uncalled for. Some things are not funny....

He wasn't making important decisions he was at trivia with past cruise friends and then was heading back to the room, another time he went back to the buffet to get more food while his wife was at the table. It is not a set in stone type of disease of when things will happen or when he or anyone will be ok or not ok. But majority of the time he is fine and can function just fine. Should a person who suffers from seizures not be left alone because no one knows when they will have an episode...should they not be allowed to live and vacation? All I am stating is have some compassion and don't make blanket statements about people when we don't know their individual issues. Pretty sure the people on Costa Concordia thought they would know what to do, until suddenly faced with the reality of the ship is sinking...I can sit there and listen to the muster every time and know it by heart but until that moment happens I would like to think I would be calm and be able to rationalize how to get to where I need to go.....but as we have seen in other emergencies that doesn't happen...stampedes at explosions where people just run and others get trampled.....lets face it in fight or flight mode some are calm and help others and themselves, others fall apart completely and others think of just themselves even doing more harm to others while trying to get out. But the comment of saying that people should drown if they cant remember how to get somewhere is just vile in my opinion and was uncalled for. Some things are not funny....

We've got a friend with the situation & they no longer cruise because of it.

Also I don't believe the comment was made with bad intent.

We've got a friend with the situation & they no longer cruise because of it.

Also I don't believe the comment was made with bad intent.

My main point was there are many reasons why someone might not remember where to go...disease, PTSD or simply just don't deal well in stressful situations and the remark was not right.

As stated even if it was meant in jest that is not funny and not something that should be joked about...IMO.

My main point was there are many reasons why someone might not remember where to go...disease, PTSD or simply just don't deal well in stressful situations and the remark was not right.

As stated even if it was meant in jest that is not funny and not something that should be joked about...IMO.

While this is a valid point the people to whom you are referring are highly unlikely to be checking their cruise card for muster location during an emergency. That is, after all, what this portion of the discussion was referring to:The medallion vs the cruise card in case of an emergency. My MIL had severe dementia and yes, it was tragic. However, we would never have subjected her to the uncertainty and unfamiliar circumstances of a cruise. It would have been cruel to do so. Just being on the ship would have been horribly stressful and would have cause anxiety and fear. An emergency situation would have been infinitely worse.

Nobody was referencing special needs, etc. They were commenting that the difference between the medallion and the cruise card is not an important factor in an emergency as far as determining your muster station. The really big difference between the two in an emergency is that one could locate the missing or confused individual using the medallion but could not do the same with the cruise card.

Which one do you think is actually better in an emergency when you have a lost or confused person?

While this is a valid point the people to whom you are referring are highly unlikely to be checking their cruise card for muster location during an emergency. That is, after all, what this portion of the discussion was referring to:The medallion vs the cruise card in case of an emergency. My MIL had severe dementia and yes, it was tragic. However, we would never have subjected her to the uncertainty and unfamiliar circumstances of a cruise. It would have been cruel to do so. Just being on the ship would have been horribly stressful and would have cause anxiety and fear. An emergency situation would have been infinitely worse.

Nobody was referencing special needs, etc. They were commenting that the difference between the medallion and the cruise card is not an important factor in an emergency as far as determining your muster station. The really big difference between the two in an emergency is that one could locate the missing or confused individual using the medallion but could not do the same with the cruise card.

Which one do you think is actually better in an emergency when you have a lost or confused person?

My biggest issue is not whether the card has the info on it or the medallion. While yes the medallions technology...if press releases hold true would be easier to find individuals..my issue was with the fact that you felt it ok to make a comment that if people could not remember where to go they could drown......that statement had no bearing on how or where the info was and to me was cruel and vile. Given the state of our world today it is besides me how someone who seems quite educated would make such a comment if even in jest. There is a bit of truth in jokes is what I have been taught. I simply gave examples of why someone might not remember where to go. As I stated I would like to think I would be calm in the situation.....but have never been in it and hope I never (or anyone else on this board) am in that situation. We can plan and plan but when the SH*T starts hitting the fan unless you have been through it before no one can predict how people will respond which is why I took offense to your comment...and I wasn't the only one since someone else posed the question to you of hoping you were not wishing people to die...

My biggest issue is not whether the card has the info on it or the medallion. ..

Without weighing in on whether others used perfect wording, I think the main point to be made here is that the Medallion system will contain the same information as a keycard and more. There is no disadvantage to the Medallion system in terms of information. The only difference will be where one directs their eyes in order to find it. With a keycard, you can find rudimentary information on the card itself. With the Medallion, you can find the same information on your Compass, on your TV, or on one of the many touch screens on the ship. Is it possible that it might be less convenient for someone to use a touch screen instead of pulling a keycard out of their pocket? I suppose. But that is why the Medallion system will remain optional and people can request a keycard if they find themselves being in the group that prefers receiving their information in that manner. For the vast majority of people on the ship, this isn't really an issue. For people with specific special needs, if a keycard works better, then a keycard can be obtained. But rest assured that converting to a Medallion will not result in a loss of information. To the contrary, more information will be available at your fingertips than a keycard could ever contain.

Omg, some people just don't like any change. If you need your muster station,write it on a card. No different than a key card. I wish I had such trivial worries that a medallion would get one so worked up to comment repeatedly on a message board.

Can you imagine the shock and awe if you stated you passed the high tables at the gastro pub wearing your medallion on the way to Share where the waiter knew you loved the pork belly,:cool:

Companies Change or die