What the heck is a medallion?

Bently57

They'll have to dive to the bottom of the sea to find my medallion which is where it will be. I asked about my upcoming cruise and was told I can get a regular cruise card to open my door so I have no need for a medallion. If it ever becomes mandatory it's a deal breaker for me and I'm off to other cruise lines which I sail anyway but not as often as Princess.

I sincerely hope you enjoy all of your future cruises. Princess, and supposedly all of the CCL cruise lines, appear to be headed in that direction. There are many great cruise lines that aren't part of this change and you will find some great ones. Of course CCL may change direction (again) and not implement this change fleet-wide.

Edit: However it works out, I was not being snarky in wishing you great cruises in the future. Sorry if it seems that way. It's almost 5:30 AM and for some bizarre reason I have been awake since just after 3:00 AM; GAH!!! :eek:

There is not one "millennial" in the world who would chose a Princess cruise because of a medallion.

Do you think that Carnival invested nine figures on this initiative without test marketing it to see if it would attract younger cruisers? I promise you that this conversation never took place:

Exec: "Hey Jack. How's that new RFID project going. We're up to about a quarter of a billion in sunk costs. What does our marketing research team say about return on investment and attracting a younger audience?"

Techie: "I have no idea, sir. We haven't run any marketing data. We're just going to roll this baby out blind."

They'll have to dive to the bottom of the sea to find my medallion which is where it will be. I asked about my upcoming cruise and was told I can get a regular cruise card to open my door so I have no need for a medallion. If it ever becomes mandatory it's a deal breaker for me and I'm off to other cruise lines which I sail anyway but not as often as Princess.

All cruise lines will eventually go in this direction, and as new ships are built they will contain this kind of technology. Use as much or as little as you wish.

Do you think that Carnival invested nine figures on this initiative without test marketing it to see if it would attract younger cruisers? I promise you that this conversation never took place:

Exec: "Hey Jack. How's that new RFID project going. We're up to about a quarter of a billion in sunk costs. What does our marketing research team say about return on investment and attracting a younger audience?"

Techie: "I have no idea, sir. We haven't run any marketing data. We're just going to roll this baby out blind."

Olive Garden has screens on the table to pay your bill. Do you think that attracts younger eaters?

Tech like this has nothing to do with attracting younger cruisers. It's to collect data on you and market back to you later with the hopeful side effect of being able to eliminate staff.

Tech like this has nothing to do with attracting younger cruisers. It's to collect data on you and market back to you later with the hopeful side effect of being able to eliminate staff.

It is all of the above.

From an article and interview with Gordon Ho of PCL

Princess Cruises kicked off the year in grand fashion by gamifying the cruise industry with a quarter-sized wearable pendant. Dubbed the Ocean Medallion, the next-level platform technology is an engagement method and marketing ploy toward elevating the guest experience and keeping the brand in shipshape. The innovation tactic was the latest in a series of IoT installations designed to help guests get the most out of their vacations; the moves are set on shaping new ways guests interact on ships—specifically among millennials—who have a perception of placing more value on personalization, customization and simplicity.

Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest leisure travel brand and the parent company of Princess Cruises, among nine other cruise lines, is positioning itself with a boatload of marketing strategies to leverage the growing global demand for cruising, which grew 68 percent over the decade through 2014, according to a2015 report by trade group Cruise Lines International Association.

The cutthroat hospitality industry is always in search of new ways to cater to younger, more tech-savvy consumers and travelers—especially since less than 4 percent of North Americans cruise each year—and the Ocean Medallion from Princess Cruises, which provides personalization through capabilities like streaming analytics, contextual awareness and machine learning, proves that positioning themselves with digital natives is the way the go

It is all of the above.

From an article and interview with Gordon Ho of PCL

I'm not saying Princess doesn't want it to attract millennials, I'm just saying that it won't.

Want tech that attracts millennials? Free working WiFi and cell phone coverage.

This sounds very similar to what DisneyWorld has rolled out over the last couple of years and it's great. It made several things a little more efficient throughout the parks and resorts. I kept our bracelets; if you take care of them they can be used over and over, so purchasing a trip on down the line that's one step taken care of.

We are booked for a Medallion cruise in March. There is no premium charge for the cruise. In fact, we booked it under the Sip and Sail so we have free drinks for the 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise. There is so much bogus information around...

On our b2b cruise in August 2018 I see that for a typical Caribbean cruise we have taken in the past our price is roughly $300pp more than normal. Now that could be because of the medallion or it could be because of the new schedule and sailing during the "summer" months. Either way it is definitely than we have paid in the past.....but then again we are willing to pay it and just hope that we get some price drops..if not we want to do that cruise...because of itinerary and date not because of the medallion while I will give it a try...just hope all the kinks are worked out on your first cruise Thrak..lol Hope to hear back from you in a review of sorts how it went on the CB when you get back.

On our b2b cruise in August 2018 I see that for a typical Caribbean cruise we have taken in the past our price is roughly $300pp more than normal. Now that could be because of the medallion or it could be because of the new schedule and sailing during the "summer" months. Either way it is definitely than we have paid in the past.....but then again we are willing to pay it and just hope that we get some price drops..if not we want to do that cruise...because of itinerary and date not because of the medallion while I will give it a try...just hope all the kinks are worked out on your first cruise Thrak..lol Hope to hear back from you in a review of sorts how it went on the CB when you get back.

Yep. Our Circle Caribbean is $300 more per person than when we booked. It has definitely gone up that much. Checking prices now has no bearing on saying prices were raised due to the medallion. We booked at $300 per person less than the cruise is now selling for under their new "sale". We booked it at the lower price under the Sip and Sail. Pricing does indeed change but it has nothing to do with the Medallion. Our last few cruises were booked waaaaaaaaaaaaaay in advance and then we watched as the price went up and up and up...

Yep. Our Circle Caribbean is $300 more per person than when we booked. It has definitely gone up that much. Checking prices now has no bearing on saying prices were raised due to the medallion. We booked at $300 per person less than the cruise is now selling for under their new "sale". We booked it at the lower price under the Sip and Sail. Pricing does indeed change but it has nothing to do with the Medallion. Our last few cruises were booked waaaaaaaaaaaaaay in advance and then we watched as the price went up and up and up...

Oh no I am talking when I first booked the price was still is $300-400 more than I normally book a Caribbean cruise for. for example on our last Caribbean cruise it was roughly $700 pp when it first opened and dropped to roughly $500 or so pp by final pmt...but on this one each leg of our b2b is roughly $1000pp when we booked and still is at that price...hoping for some drops before final pmt next year. In the past we book as soon as open as we want a certain room that goes quick. then it will drop and drop and we get those deals..and then near the end it goes up...but we are locked into one of the previous drops. hope those come around...if not we are still going!:cool:

Given the amount of cash PCL is sinking into the Medallion project I would guess that all cruises (not just medallion cruises) will be higher in price. They aren't just installing all of the tech as a gesture of good will. Passengers will be paying for it in increased fares across the board. I just don't think they will only jack up fares on medallion cruises.

Given the amount of cash PCL is sinking into the Medallion project I would guess that all cruises (not just medallion cruises) will be higher in price. They aren't just installing all of the tech as a gesture of good will. Passengers will be paying for it in increased fares across the board. I just don't think they will only jack up fares on medallion cruises.

In the long run, with the increased onboard revenue from all of the medallion suggestions (ads) and ease of purchase, it might pay for itself. Dare I dream, if onboard sales increase enough, base cruise prices could drop. Wishful thinking I know.;)

No problem.

You're not forced to use one & no one will be able to track you if you drop it off at the PSD after leaving your cabin. I suppose you'll have to take it with you when leaving the ship though.

Every one will be happy.:cool:

I just bought one of those metal security type wallets that you keep credit cards in to prevent a reader from getting your numbers. It will work on the medallion too so if Princess goes to using all medallions ( which have facial recognition ) I can still hide myself from being tracked except for entering my cabin.

Princess has become to big for my taste as a whole and I'm looking at Viking Ocean and Azamara . I have 3 cruises booked right now with Princess which I plan to take but when I look for next year I'll be expanding my search perimeters to other lines.

In summary about the Medallion.....if you feel as I do that tracking me into a public bathroom on the ship is too much get an RFID wallet. It costs 99 cents at the 99 cents store.

I just bought one of those metal security type wallets that you keep credit cards in to prevent a reader from getting your numbers. It will work on the medallion too so if Princess goes to using all medallions ( which have facial recognition ) I can still hide myself from being tracked except for entering my cabin.

Princess has become to big for my taste as a whole and I'm looking at Viking Ocean and Azamara . I have 3 cruises booked right now with Princess which I plan to take but when I look for next year I'll be expanding my search perimeters to other lines.

In summary about the Medallion.....if you feel as I do that tracking me into a public bathroom on the ship is too much get an RFID wallet. It costs 99 cents at the 99 cents store.

Where in the world did you get the idea that the Medallion uses facial recognition? It works on a combination of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC). The medallion only has a unique identifier. It doesn't broadcast. When you pass near a sensor it reads the identifier on the medallion. Period. All information regarding the passenger is kept on a secure server. There is no possible way it can do facial recognition.

Keeping your medallion in a RFID wallet may well defeat the tracking but may well defeat the ability to open your cabin door as well. Princess staff has a LOT of things to deal with. They really don't have the time or the inclination to track you into the bathroom. If there is an emergency or if you are the one holding up everybody else by not complying with the regulations regarding disembarkation during a B2B then yes, they will track you down. Otherwise they couldn't care less. The tracking info is more about tracking how many people use a venue at a certain time and things of that sort.

I hope you enjoy whatever line you choose to replace Princess. Remember that, if this works out the way they hope it will, ALL ships under the CCL umbrella will eventually have the Medallion technology. You mentioned Viking and Azamara. Those are nice choices and I believe you will likely enjoy them greatly.

I just bought one of those metal security type wallets that you keep credit cards in to prevent a reader from getting your numbers. It will work on the medallion too

I suggested for the paranoid, months ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52386925&postcount=116

The best way to have princess not know details about your activities

is to simply not board their ships.

Likewise, there is no reason to suspect that they will fail. In a few years, this level of technology will be on every ship. So the discussion is largely moot. One will not be choosing a cruise line generally or ship specifically because it has Medallion-style tech. It will be unavoidable. And when that happens, no particular demographic can be targeted. Which is why Princess is rushing to be first. The window in which to capture new, younger cruisers due to unique tech is very short.

This sounds very similar to what DisneyWorld has rolled out over the last couple of years and it's great. It made several things a little more efficient throughout the parks and resorts. I kept our bracelets; if you take care of them they can be used over and over, so purchasing a trip on down the line that's one step taken care of.

I've used the Disney wrist bands. Minimal advantage and sometimes awkward to use. From what I have read on Princess, their medallions will do far, FAR more than Disney's bands.

I've used the Disney wrist bands. Minimal advantage and sometimes awkward to use. From what I have read on Princess, their medallions will do far, FAR more than Disney's bands.

Oh, absolutely, the Princess program is more far reaching in function, but also in a more contained area of operation. We did really find the bracelets helpful; they worked great for us for the functions they were supposed to do.

Likewise, there is no reason to suspect that they will fail.

Historically, princess hasn't been wildly successful with technology innovations.

They withdrew their messenger app from the play store because they couldn't get it to work.

And, that's a simple problem -- just hire some contract developers to work on it.

Facial recognition in the photo gallery on regal and royal never worked, even though they

installed the hardware.

Cruising on Sapphire Princess in June of 2018. It has been a long time since we have cruised with Princess and I have no clue what a medallion is. We are Platinum but I have not kept up.

Are you familiar with a Disney magic band? Pretty much the same thing.

Where in the world did you get the idea that the Medallion uses facial recognition? .

When I booked my cruise I was told they are based on facial recognition by the Princess rep. She said they are installing a second door opener on the cabins, one for the traditional keycard and one for the facial recognition.

Keeping your medallion in a RFID wallet may well defeat the tracking but may well defeat the ability to open your cabin door as well. . . The tracking info is more about tracking how many people use a venue at a certain time and things of that sort.

I can open my RFID wallet when I want to open my cabin door and keep it in the wallet other times. I don't want the spam that will come with the tracking either.

. You mentioned Viking and Azamara. Those are nice choices and I believe you will likely enjoy them greatly.

I have sailed with both Azamara and Viking and they both are higher end then Princess. They also come with a higher fare. I book a balcony on those higher priced ships instead of a mini or full suite so the price is more in line with what I'm used to paying. I'm not loyal to any line, I go buy what suits my needs.

Thank you for sharing

Perhaps a matter of semantics. From what I have seen and read, Princess will implement more functionality than Disney has (so far) with its Magic Bands. I think the Magic Bands are capable of doing everything that a medallion can do. It's just that Disney hasn't enabled all those features on a wide scale yet. For example, what Disney is doing with its MBs at Be Our Guest restaurant and Test Track, and It's A Small World and Haunted Mansion is pretty much everything that Princess will be doing with its medallions. A server at Be Our Guest will find you and bring you your food in exactly the same way that a server on a ship will bring you your Pina Colada. The "Adios Board" at the end of Small World recognizes who you are and greets you by name in exactly the same way that they medallion will work. The My Disney Experience App enables you to make ride and dining reservations on the fly in real time the same way Princess' Compass will. I don't really see any added functionality on the Medallion. What I see is a host that is willing to enable that full functionality on a wider scale than one restaurant and a couple of rides.

When I booked my cruise I was told they are based on facial recognition by the Princess rep. She said they are installing a second door opener on the cabins, one for the traditional keycard and one for the facial recognition
The Princess rep is obviously an idiot. They would have to install a camera in the door to use facial recognition. The only type of "facial recognition" that is involved is that they can pull up a picture of you based on your medallion but they could already do that with your cruise card. Yes, when you board they can see your picture on a tablet and verify it is you based on the return signal from their query of the medallion. It doesn't broadcast to them - they have sensors that query it for the unique identifier which is all it has. Their software retrieves your picture from the secure server. Not facial recognition which would have to scan your face and determine it is you. The medallion has no such technology.