Dining Table Attangements - Viking/Uniworld

conchyjoe

Not the case on either Uniworld or Scenic where there is a list of included wines, some of which are excellent! We drank a lovely Chateauneuf-Du-Pape on the Rhone with Uniworld - along with many other options - and on the Seine we had a good range of options for Bordeaux and Burgundy selections.

Scenic was similar in variety and quality.

Here is the wine list from our April 2016 Danube cruise. Each night we had one red and one white. We went roughly in order from the bottom up, to match where we were (or had been) on any given day: Budapest, Budapest, Bratislava/Vienna, Vienna, Melk, Linz, and Passau).

If someone is so inclined I bet you could find prices. A quick look on Google shows that the Volratz wine is about $15 a bottle.

White Wine

Germany

Volratz 1573 Riesling / Silvaner sommerach(replaced)

12%

This well-made refreshing Riesling, with a crisp and mineral character showing fruits of apricots and peaches. Nicely balanced acidity together with the fruits gives an elegant finish to the wine.

Austria

Chardonnay Madl Weinviertel

12,5%

Delicate aromas of apples, pears, some minerality. It's a refreshing wine with good acidity. Flavours of fresh apples at the palate. Harmonic elegant finish.

Grüner Veltliner "Trio" Gmeiner Wagram

12%

This Gruner Veltliner has a good composition of fruit and acidity. Apple aromas, well-structured fine herbs. A slight hint of white pepper at the finish.

Grüner Veltliner Nikolaihof Wachau

13%

This Biodynamic Grüner Veltliner is light, fresh of greenish yellow color. Delicate peppery notes, dry, fruits. Slight apple aroma, with a hint of spiciness.

Hungary

Laposa Szürkebarat Badacsony

11,5%

Full-bodied, exciting mineral white wine made from Szürkebarát (Pinot Gris) grape variety. Fruity but spicy with lot of citrus flavor because of the long acid structure. Complex white wine with all of the characters of the grape variety.

Pantlika Olaszrizling / Muskotaly Tokaj (replaced)

13%

Wood fermented, yet fruity style this Chardonnay is elegant with nice acid structure with an abundant floral and ginger spicy nose, ripen citrus and stone fruits on the palate.

South Africa

Blanc de Mer Bouchard Finlayson

13.3%

The Riesling component is now dominant with a notably fragrant nose, ample body and luscious finish. Best described as a kaleidoscope of flavours with a solid Chardonnay structure. Bright Fruits and repeated flavours of pear, plum, apricot, custard apple and cape gooseberry.

Red Wine

Germany

Dornfelder Kirchner Palatinate

13%

Aromas of red berries, typical cherry aromas, round and pleasant to drink

Austria

Blauburger Madl Weinviertel

13%

Dark berries and tobacco aromas on the nose. With a compact taste of blackcurrant and some oak, the wine has an elegant long finish.

Blaufränkisch Marko Carnuntum

12.5%

Strong color, smells of dark berries, velvety on the palate, long aftertaste

Zweigelt "L" Gmeiner Wagram

13%

This Zweigelt has fine fruits such as cranberries, blackberries in the nose and cassis on the palate guarantees the texture and richness.

Pinot Noir Classic Scheibelhofer Burgenland

13.5%

Bluish cherry red, deep tropical fruit aromas, rounded off with fine cinnamon tones, creamy soft tannins and a delicate tartness and mild body harmony characterize this wine

Hungary

Winelife Kekfrankos

13%

A beautiful combination of fruits and spices. Raspberry, cherry and earthy notes in the nose then fruits on palate. There is extravagant tannins give more complexity to the wine.

Cabernet Franc Jackfall

13%

Dark purple-colored, with a balanced savour body, fine tannins. Its scent is a blend of red berries and fine vanilla with the taste of plum and sloe, it is a juicy red wine with delicate acerbity harmonically ringing-off.

• 2 weeks later...

Viking has apparently standardized to 2 wines, one white and one red, and serve the exact same 2 wines with lunch and dinner every day.

I just returned from a Viking river cruise and that wasn't the case. I am not much of a wine drinker, but I did try different whites when I noticed the evening's selection was from the land o' my ancestors in Germany.

I just returned from a Viking river cruise and that wasn't the case. I am not much of a wine drinker, but I did try different whites when I noticed the evening's selection was from the land o' my ancestors in Germany.

Thank you for providing this information. I knew it wasn't accurate when we were on our Viking river cruise, but that was two years ago. I am happy to have a report from someone who has sailed on Viking recently.

• 4 weeks later...

On Uniworld, they serve 2 different wines every night (one red and one white) from the region in which you are cruising and as noted by other posters above, they are good and varied - I believe some effort is made to pair the wines with the menu of the evening.

It should be noted that although they have a white and red regionally chosen wine paired each night with dinner, guests are never limited to choosing one of those wines. (Or they can choose to sample both. ;))

I wonder if Viking changes up wines on some ships but not others?

There are multiple reviewers who stated this was the only free red wine served on Viking Embla for the length of their cruise:

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/enrique-vollmer/wines/valle-de-uco-malbec-2013

It sounds like Viking limits the included wine choices to boost upselling of their wine package. This is an interesting topic and I would love to hear from cruisers who have actually sailed on Viking. How acceptable are the wines included in the extra fee package? Are they worth the upcharge? Do the choices vary daily?

It sounds like Viking limits the included wine choices to boost upselling of their wine package. This is an interesting topic and I would love to hear from cruisers who have actually sailed on Viking. How acceptable are the wines included in the extra fee package? Are they worth the upcharge? Do the choices vary daily?

We have been on four Viking cruises with the Silver Spirits package each time. We have been provided with a wine list on each cruise with a good selection of wines, mostly local to the area we were cruising. The wine list stays the same for the duration of the cruise, but there are usually 6 to 8 different reds and the same number of whites to choose from. On our recent Rhone cruise there were also a couple of rose wines (sorry, don't know how to put the accent on the final "e.") . We have never been disappointed with the wines we have chosen and, combined with a few other alcoholic beverages during the cruise, we definitely feel the package is worth it for us. Guess it depends on how much you like to drink!:wine-glass::cocktail::beer-mug:

We have been on four Viking cruises with the Silver Spirits package each time. We have been provided with a wine list on each cruise with a good selection of wines, mostly local to the area we were cruising. The wine list stays the same for the duration of the cruise, but there are usually 6 to 8 different reds and the same number of whites to choose from.

That was our experience in China and Vietnam/Cambodia with Viking, but less of the 'local' wines obviously :)

We have just finished a Viking "cruise for some of the way, get the bus for the rest" owing to low river levels. As previous posters have said, there are no tables for 2 in the main dining room, but there are a handful on the Aquavit terrace. The wine provided if you don't buy the package is pleasant enough but you can wait a while to be offered another glass. There is no corkage so we chose wines to our own tastes and brought them back on board, there is a refrigerator in the cabin.