NCL Epic in Europe - Clientele / Atmosphere Same as in US/Caribbean?

Shacky316

Hello. Longtime cruisers branching out to Europe for the first time in July. The family has been having a discussion on whether or not everything will be similar or not.

The DW says she is concerned about the teenagers roaming around the ship alone as they normally would because we are not in a majority US crowd.

Let me know your European Epic on-board experiences compared to that of stateside cruises. What will I be surprised to encounter?

We sailed RCL out of England to the Baltic. Main language of the ship was English. I would say most passengers spoke English. He made friends from many countries. 6 years later still has contact with a boy from Ireland. Many foreign speaking kids would practice their English with him and he learned a bit as well. The British kids would tease him about our words and what the British version would be. It was a great cruise and a wonderful learning experience. You should go!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did that cruise last year. It was a great clientele - many folks from Europe but perhaps the majority of those were from the UK. English everywhere...the announcements were done in several languages. My teen had the same freedoms as a Caribbean cruise.

The only thing that surprised me was seeing folks enjoying prosecco instead of frozen cocktails around the pool.

Have a great cruise!

We don't see much difference between doing them other than the Europe ones are more port intensive and people are out much longer than Caribbean ports. So if you want yo gang around the ship there aren't many stay onboard compared to Caribbean ports. We too see more drinking prosecco, wine and spirits than cocktails

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldn't compare a European cruise with a Caribbean cruise. I've done only one European cruise during the summer, and it was an older clientele than I've experienced on Caribbean cruises (keep in mind, I haven't done a Caribbean cruise in years--hate the heat!). In Europe, the focus is on the port cities and history and architecture; it's far less on hitting the beach. I've done a few European cruises and they've all had much older passengers than any other cruises.

U.S. passengers won't be the majority, but I haven't noticed a huge difference because of that (other than that they're more polite than Americans!). Not sure why your wife has a concern about your kids since the majority on the ship won't be from the U.S. Trying to figure that one out...

Hello. Longtime cruisers branching out to Europe for the first time in July. The family has been having a discussion on whether or not everything will be similar or not.

The DW says she is concerned about the teenagers roaming around the ship alone as they normally would because we are not in a majority US crowd.

Let me know your European Epic on-board experiences compared to that of stateside cruises. What will I be surprised to encounter?

We've sailed on the Epic in Europe 3 times. Whilst there is a larger number of non-US passengers, there are plenty of US folks and mostly English speaking passengers. The program is still totally in English (unless you have a Spanish speaking cruise director). No concerns about letting your teens roam the ship.

We took our son who was 13 on the Epic in Europe. It was a great experience. There were a lot of Spaniards, Italian as well as British and and Canadians. He had a great time at the Sports Courts and at the ports. He loved Capri. I will say that there were a couple of top less sunbathers.

We cruised on the Epic out of Barcelona and I would say the majority of pax were Spanish. Then other Europeans, British, Russian and Chinese. Only a few Americans. But that could have been because it was a 10 day cruise and I hear Americans don't get many leave days from work? All announcements were done in multiple languages, although English was still the main language on the ship.

I'm also not sure why the passengers not being from.the US would mean you would be worried about the teens roaming freely. If your kids are a bit insular and haven't left the US before it should be a good experience for them.

Epic Western Med 5/2016: very few kids; lots of Americans; and many, many Asians. Your results may vary.

On the Epic in May last year there were some large groups onboard for a few cruises, many of whom were Asian.

That isn't usual for this itinerary, in my experience. Those cruises last spring were not typical at all.

We cruised on the Epic out of Barcelona and I would say the majority of pax were Spanish. Then other Europeans, British, Russian and Chinese. Only a few Americans. But that could have been because it was a 10 day cruise and I hear Americans don't get many leave days from work? All announcements were done in multiple languages, although English was still the main language on the ship.

I'm also not sure why the passengers not being from.the US would mean you would be worried about the teens roaming freely. If your kids are a bit insular and haven't left the US before it should be a good experience for them.

As far as Americans getting many vacation days, it's entirely dependent upon the company you work for. I have 21 days--so a little over four weeks--this year and I'll have double that next year. But I have a generous employer. Most people who work full-time in business have at least two weeks off each year, and then the longer you're there, the more vacation time you get. I know plenty of people who have more time off than that and more time off than I get. It's just a small percentage of people who cruise. When flying to Europe for vacation, I don't think most Americans think about cruising and they do more land vacations.

As far as Americans getting many vacation days, it's entirely dependent upon the company you work for. I have 21 days--so a little over four weeks--this year and I'll have double that next year. But I have a generous employer. Most people who work full-time in business have at least two weeks off each year, and then the longer you're there, the more vacation time you get. I know plenty of people who have more time off than that and more time off than I get. It's just a small percentage of people who cruise. When flying to Europe for vacation, I don't think most Americans think about cruising and they do more land vacations.

Thanks for the info! Two weeks leave a year is brutal. I get 5 weeks which is fairly standard here and it never feels like enough!

When I was on the Epic I thought I was in America, everyone had American accents. They couldn't understand why I introduced myself as American and not from a state. I was not ready for so much America and would have preferred a more diverse crowd.

When I was on the Epic I thought I was in America, everyone had American accents. They couldn't understand why I introduced myself as American and not from a state. I was not ready for so much America and would have preferred a more diverse crowd.

Yes, most people from the U.S. believe that if you're American then you're from the United States. It's not like we say we're United Statesian. LOL. So, we just say American and often forget that America is the name of the continent, too.

I was not ready for so much America and would have preferred a more diverse crowd.

That was my experience on the Epic as well. But I cruise for the American atmosphere because I've lived abroad for 7 years and it's the closest thing I can get to America without actually going to America :D

I think cruising in each "region" has a different "feel". If you are from the USA, the Caribbean is a relaxation type of vacation...each island is more similar than different, IMO...and much less history (at least, that we care about, in general)...so folks are more "laid back". If you go to Alaska, it's all about Alaska, and not the ship or amenities. Same if you're going to Europe or the Med because you want to SEE those areas....you're not going to care so much about Bingo or the "hairy legs" contest.....ya know???