Room cleaning question?

papa4330

It is true, I was on the Dream in March and was given a form and asked to pick morning or evening service. I told him I wanted both and he said no problem, but I was not getting both and spoke to him about it. He told me that with the new morning or evening policy, he was given many more rooms and it was tough to keep up, so I told him evening only then and double my towels. This worked.

Officially Carnival still has both morning and evening service if requested according to Heald, but they are just dumping that work on the stewards without proper staffing. My guess is that in another year we will not have a choice.

Hmm, I have seen this happening more and more...so the room stewards are getting MORE rooms, so they can do LESS with the rooms that they have. Perhaps the tips should be adjusted? I don't normally adjust tips unless it is upwards, but getting my room serviced 2x per day is just a nice perk that I like about cruising. It wasn't a deal breaker when they quit giving out the night time mints, but it just waters down the entire experience. Every time I get back on board, I find something is missing....Open seating LUNCH, Mints on the pillows, Welcome back party (free drinks for 2nd timers+), Captain's Gala Party (with free drinks-yes, they used to do that!), tablecloths, and now room servicing 2x per day. I know that they do this to keep it affordable, but the room stewards are paid by tips. Does that mean Carnival is taking some of their tips, or are the room stewards now making double. And yes, the tips per day used to be $7/day per person, so tips have definitely gone up with inflation.

Are people really that messy that they need someone to clean up after them 2 times a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Of course not! No self-sufficient adult "needs" someone to clean up after them at all!

And while we are at it, no healthy adult MUST eat 3 meals a day. One meal is adequate for most folks.

Oh, and anyone who cannot entertain themselves is obviously lacking in intelligence and imagination.

So, I say cruise lines should cut back to one "free" meal a day, get rid of all those silly entertainment options, and supply each cabin with a washer/dryer and cleaning supplies.

After all - that's all anyone really "needs"

;p

A room cleaned in the morning would do be relatively clean in the afternoon, but a bucket of ice filled in the morning will be water by the afternoon. If they want to service the room once a day I assume we can go into the crew areas to use the ice maker there, right?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Are people really that messy that they need someone to clean up after them 2 times a day?

Clearly you have not met my 19 year old college student and his friends....:eek:

Absolutely not.

That's one of the nice (or used to be) differences between a hotel/resort and cruising. Evening turn down service.

A friend just got off the Carnival Magic and told us that their room would only be cleaned once a day. Morning or Evening.I find it hard to believe? Any truth to this?

Not true you can have 1 or 2x.

A friend just got off the Carnival Magic and told us that their room would only be cleaned once a day. Morning or Evening.I find it hard to believe? Any truth to this?

Yep.

Some report being able to ask for twice daily.

Not true you can have 1 or 2x.

Very true. There seem to be some "rogue" cabin stewards on various ships but Carnival's policy remains if you want twice a day servicing you can still have it. A trip down to Guest Services should take care of the problem. As guests, we shouldn't have to worry about the steward's workload. If they feel they are being overworked then they can simply not sign up for a new contract. The same procedure works here in the states. If an employee feels he or she is working too hard for too little compensation they start looking for a new job.

On the Miracle we opted for once a day with extra towels. Not a problem. Even got a towel animal every morning.

At night our room steward would lightly service the room if we had laundry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on the Magic last January and while not given a card, we were asked by the steward whether we preferred morning or evening service. While I really only "need" once per day, it was a slight let down. I didn't think much of it though, until our service ended up being even less than that. We had a juice spill on the counter that was never cleaned up (ended up doing it ourselves), room never vacuumed, comforters literally pulled up over tangled sheets rather than the beds actually being made (to the point that I actually pulled the sheets off of my bed so it had to be made properly), and missing fun times.

It was absolutely the worst steward service we've ever had. Should I have called guest services? Probably. I didn't though because I felt bad that maybe he had a ton of cabins with the new policy and I would have hated to get him in trouble. We never saw him after that first day, until the last day when he popped by, all cheerful and friendly, probably trying to make up for it and hoping for a tip. While it would take something truly dramatic for me to remove prepaid gratuities, this was the first time I didn't leave an additional tip for our steward.

My first cruise, we adored our steward. He felt like our cruise buddy. He could tell me where my kids were headed off to, joked with us all the time, and the ONE time he forgot our room service door tag and we asked for it, you'd have thought the world was ending. It think he probably apologized 5 or 6 times. I still remember his name.

Carnival, knock it the hell off.

Hmm, I have seen this happening more and more...so the room stewards are getting MORE rooms, so they can do LESS with the rooms that they have. Perhaps the tips should be adjusted? I don't normally adjust tips unless it is upwards, but getting my room serviced 2x per day is just a nice perk that I like about cruising. It wasn't a deal breaker when they quit giving out the night time mints, but it just waters down the entire experience. Every time I get back on board, I find something is missing....Open seating LUNCH, Mints on the pillows, Welcome back party (free drinks for 2nd timers+), Captain's Gala Party (with free drinks-yes, they used to do that!), tablecloths, and now room servicing 2x per day. I know that they do this to keep it affordable, but the room stewards are paid by tips. Does that mean Carnival is taking some of their tips, or are the room stewards now making double. And yes, the tips per day used to be $7/day per person, so tips have definitely gone up with inflation.

All true, and yet there are people who insist that Carnival has not gone down hill. Prices go up, quality has gone down.

We keep our room relatively clean, but I want the bathroom tidied, fresh towels to replace the used ones, used glasses replaced, and more ice. I expect the steward to come in twice a day as they always have. Like others have said it's not the paying customers fault that Carnival has chosen to cut back on staff to increase profits.

These are services I'm PAYING for and that I got when I was paying less and then some. But some people will put up with the downgrade. I won't.

I will still cruise Carnival when it suits me, but mostly I'm taking my money elsewhere. And I no longer recommend Carnival to others. I'm also quite sure they won't notice, but I could care less.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Should I have called guest services? Probably. I didn't though because I felt bad that maybe he had a ton of cabins with the new policy and I would have hated to get him in trouble. ... Carnival, knock it the hell off.
If you don't complain, and don't remove gratuities, it makes no sense for them to change anything. Your input to the process was, "Great job! Thanks!"

For folks who aren't honest and brutally accurate in their appraisals of the work of the crew, "knock it the hell off."

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We just got off the Magic this past Sunday and were given the card to fill out by our room steward on the first day. The options were morning, evening or both for service.

Same thing on Liberty last week.

We are happy with every other day.. I guess we are simple. I know at home we keep the house neat and use towels more than once . I am still AMAZED that the cabin crews have 30 rooms now . That is almost double what is was 5 or 6 years ago

I guess going on several cruises yearly (after I turned 21) has made me understand the work the men and women on a ship do.

We all talk about cutbacks. If the cutbacks were so bad why do people still cruise. I feel one of the best value for your dollar but again what do I know.

If the crew is good to you and takes care of you is a extra few dollars cash tip to hard to give. Remember a day on a cruise is better than a day at work.

We was on the Dream in December and asked for twice a day service and we got twice a day service.

The time before that on the Dream, we asked for twice a day service and was lucky if we got once a day.

I was disappointed with the overall service on that ship both times we have been on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't like that the steward told the guest that he had a large workload and guilted them into choosing one or the other. I am conscious of the workload that they must have and try to be tidy and not add to what is reasonable. If twice a day is offered and chosen the steward really should keep it to himself how he feels about it.