Mattress Pads???

CO Nurse

Maybe it's because I'm a nurse, but it is a health concern that cabin mattresses do not have mattress pads. I did ask Princess about this-wrote to customer service-and was told they are NOT required to put mattress pads on beds. They just replaced mattresses on some of their ships, you'd think they'd want to protect them a little better. Mattresses get stained. Do you really want to sleep on that with just a thin sheet between you and who knows what??

Anyone else out there concerned about this? :eek:

We were on The Grand Princess May 8-to-18 -2017 We had the new mattresses ...loved them...we also had a mattress pad....this was the first time we had really bad sheets. They were very starched and stiff to the point that the last few nights I pulled back the bottom sheet and slept on the mattress pad.

CO Nurse

If I remember correctly, they placed a pad on the bed when they put them together to form a queen.

Hmmmm... You are correct. It is to help with the seam between the two mattresses. I believe both of our next two cruises have the new beds. Unlike some who always complain about hard beds on Princess I am worried that the new beds will be too soft. If the bed isn't firm enough my back can get so bad it's hard to even get up or walk. I find that "pain hurts" and it isn't my friend.

Oceania's spending $40 million to repair, refit and upgrade (including better beds/linens) Princess' long neglected Ocean Princess (now Sirena) would say otherwise.

Have you sailed Sirena? I have. :(

This is a discussion for another board not Princess. I will leave it at that.

I noticed on the Ruby recently there were no mattress pads. Also noticed that the mattress was really dirty. (And these are the new style mattress on the Ruby for one year. Worse than no mattress pad is no duvet cover on the comforter. Two sheets top and bottom wrapped around the comforter. Sharing a comforter, those sheets came off and the exposed comforter was almost on my mouth. I asked the room steward to put a duvet on the comforter and he said no longer have any on board.

This past week was staying at a hotel and same thing, two sheets on comforter.

Have you sailed Sirena? I have. :(

This is a discussion for another board not Princess. I will leave it at that.

I have enjoyed the vast improvements. In fact, I recently added two future Sirena bookings: Amazon River in 2018 and Cape Horn passage in 2019.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmmm... You are correct. It is to help with the seam between the two mattresses. I believe both of our next two cruises have the new beds. Unlike some who always complain about hard beds on Princess I am worried that the new beds will be too soft. If the bed isn't firm enough my back can get so bad it's hard to even get up or walk. I find that "pain hurts" and it isn't my friend.

Same here. We have a tempurpedic and sleeping away from home is usually not a great experience, but we thought the new Princess beds were quite good. I slept quite well and was pain free every day. The bedding is quite nice as well (we had a suite so I'm not sure if all of the bedding is the same). I hope your experience is the same. Good sleep is vital to a good vacation, IMO.

I noticed on the Ruby recently there were no mattress pads. Also noticed that the mattress was really dirty. (And these are the new style mattress on the Ruby for one year. Worse than no mattress pad is no duvet cover on the comforter. Two sheets top and bottom wrapped around the comforter. Sharing a comforter, those sheets came off and the exposed comforter was almost on my mouth. I asked the room steward to put a duvet on the comforter and he said no longer have any on board.

This past week was staying at a hotel and same thing, two sheets on comforter.

Also had the two sheets with comforter in between them on the Emerald last February. Didn't particularly care for the setup, it was awkward. But had the comforter in duvet this May on the Island Princess. Noted it was ragged on the ends, they tried to hide it by tucking it in under the mattress. It was far more comfortable to sleep with for me but my husband liked the separate sheets setup.

For reference, the Emerald had the new beds while the Island didn't. Looks like they are doing the two sheet setup with the new beds.

You are correct, only the new mattresses and bedding are set up with the sheets between the comforter.

I asked the room steward if the comforters get changed on turn around between passengers, and he said yes. We did a back to back, saw plenty of dirty sheets in the opened rooms but no comforters. So who knows.

We are going on the Crown for a long cruise. Was going to bring my own duvet to put on bed but realized the Crown still has the old setup.

I always bring a sleep travel sack, which is essentially like a sleeping bag liner. It is made of a silk/cotton blend. I don't believe blankets or duvets are ever washed or if so rarely. I prefer extra lining between me and the thousands of other passengers/ guests who have slept on the mattresses. I use it in hotels as well

Just got off Star Princess a few days ago. Bed was not too soft. Only slightly better than the rock hard bed we had a few years ago. I don't like very firm mattresses and this one was just tolerable for me.

I doubt matress pads are changed that often either. Do you ever see them on laundry carts in the halls on ships or hotels: I don't. It is what it is. Just enjoy the cruise

Just remembered.... when I take my suitcases out from under the bed to pack on the last day of the cruises I have noticed plastic bags of new linen, pad and comforter for the next cruise. I think the room steward puts them in the room a day or two before to save them some prep time.

Also, I have seen on disembarkation day crew members (not room stewards) stripping the entire beds and leaving everything on the floor. I've even seen the crew members that work the pool area putting clean towels and items in the rooms to help out the room stewards. It seems to be a real team effort getting the ship ready for the next group of passengers.