Food Tour Recommendations

Angela61280

Hello all!

We have been to San Juan several times. We live in St Augustine, FL, so not interested in going to the forts, etc (lol). At a loss as to what to do, and thinking perhaps about a walking food tour... thoughts on this? Any recommendations? Is alcohol included (not a lush in real life, lol.. there's just something about drinking and the Caribbean hahahaha).

Thanks in advance!

We are doing Flavors of San Juan (sanjuanfoodtours dot com)

I wanted to try something a little different - highly rated in TripAdvisor

Did this one in January 2016 and it was great! Learned so much, sampled far more than I expected, and yes, a Pina Coloda was included! Plus, the opportunity to purchase drinks at at least one more stop...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those of you that have done this.....how many different types of foods? What types of foods? Are they able to "work around" food allergies if you notify them in advance? What makes one "tour/company" better than the other? For those that have done these, please list (as best as you remember) the specific foods/restaurants that you tried and list which company you used. Thank you so very much in advance!!!!

For those of you that have done this.....how many different types of foods? What types of foods? Are they able to "work around" food allergies if you notify them in advance? What makes one "tour/company" better than the other? For those that have done these, please list (as best as you remember) the specific foods/restaurants that you tried and list which company you used. Thank you so very much in advance!!!!

When we did Spoon Fed in 2016, there were 6 food/drink stops (I think?) ranging from a fancy fresh fruit ice pop to what seemed like a full size serving of mofongo and rice and beans. We felt like we got our money's worth for the whole experience. We also tried ceviche, an empanada, pina colada, and I think I'm missing one or two other items. I don't remember the names of the restaurants though.

One of the reasons we picked Spoon Fed is because their website indicated they could work with food allergies. I have celiac disease, so I have to be gluten free and other than at the first stop, my food was the same as everyone else's.

Thanks, JustAGirl. Now that you listed the food items, I remember why I didn't do Spoon Fed - I've only had a ceviche once that I liked and that was pretty recently and I had already eaten empanadas in PR and I prefer mojitos to Pina Coladas. So I chose Flavors.

I did Flavors on a Saturday when they went to a Tea House instead of a coffee house. Interesting ham/cheese waffle served with an herbal tea. Beautiful courtyard setting!

The ice cream shop was near there and was one of our stops, too. After I ate the sweet waffle, I didn't want any ice cream so I think I told somebody in the group they could have mine.

They took us to a very nice spice shop and explained some of the local seasonjngs. Great place to buy foodie souvenirs.

Next was chorizo in another beautiful courtyard.

We then got a chance to mash our own mofongo and serve ourselves from a choice of toppings. They also served us rice and beans. We had food left over because everybody was getting full. Everything was very tasty. Oh! Our group ordered a carafe of sangria to share which was not included in the tour.

Then we went to the chocolate restaurant for rum spiced hot chocolate, and finished the tour with a small, beautiful flan at another restaurant.

Not sure which restaurants Flavors is using now, because I know one in their lineup closed over a year ago.

It was fun, but I thought there could have been a little bit more info on the history of the food. Our guide was an architect so he taught us a lot about the beautiful buildings in Old San Juan.

Everybody else in the group was very happy, too, based on their comments.

We did the spoons tour a couple of years ago and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't remember too much. We started at a coffee restaurant near El Morro that we have returned to every time we've been in San Juan since. I remember a delicious pastry somewhere along the way. We finished in a restaurant around lunch time with delicious fish tacos. I'm sure there was more.. I just don't remember.

• 2 months later...

Piggybacking on this thread (hope that's ok!).

Do any of the tour companies do evening food tours? We are in port from 5pm - 1am so not sure what kind of excursion I'll be able to do during that time frame, and food tours interest me a lot.

• 5 weeks later...
Piggybacking on this thread (hope that's ok!).

Do any of the tour companies do evening food tours? We are in port from 5pm - 1am so not sure what kind of excursion I'll be able to do during that time frame, and food tours interest me a lot.

I just contacted Spoon about the same thing - they said that because no one had yet booked their afternoon/evening tour for the date we want, they can push back the tour departure time to accommodate our late arrival in port. Just email them and let them know your time-frame and it sounds like they will work with you.