Had a great time, but ruined by theft!

Kflatley

We had same thing on Imagination years ago, ore TSA locks, just busted thru.

Also on Princess a couple of years ago. Back if case slit and bags,some clothes, blow-dryer,etc taken. Frustrated. Now I have TSA locks and aluminum bags💪

Do you think if you would not have called security on there fighting, they would have still stolen from you? Maybe they did it out of revenge. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending theft. That's totally wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 14 cruises we've always put TSA locks on the sections of our luggage that contains anything of more value than worn undies when we put them out the last night :D:D

I don't use the locks when checking the luggage in on embarkation day.

This is awful, but all those items totalling $200 is not much value. Sorry but it just is not. I have paid more for just a suitcase! But none the less we should be able to leave anything in our bags the last night and feel good about it. I have paid more for just a suitcase! And it sounds as if they took the suitcase into their room, went through it then set it back out. No problem getting past a little luggage lock when you have all the time you need in your cabin. Plus would not a lock just be a neon flashing sing saying "something I value" in this suitcase?

Hope they catch them.

I'm actually shocked at the number of people that don't lock their bags. All my friends and family always lock their bags when travelling. So do we. Yes the TSA locks are fairly easy to pick but most people looking to steal are looking for an easy opportunity.

Also we would never put anything other then dirty laundry in the bags left in the hall. Everything else goes in bags we carry off ourselves.

I know people get a false sense of security when on vacation. But there are would be thieves everywhere. It's the same thing with stuff i see people leaving in strollers at Disney world. We never left anything except some water bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

A thief is going to steal from the easiest and fastest thing he (or she) can most of the time. Of course there are exceptions. Getting into a piece of unlocked luggage is a whole lot faster than trying to cut off zip ties or try to pick a lock.

Cruisers are up and down those hallways all the time. In fact, somebody just unzipping a piece of luggage, probably wouldn't need even draw a second look. Most likely those passing would think they were just doing something in their own luggage. But somebody doing something weird to a lock, might get a second glance and a call to security.

I have always locked my bags getting on the ship and getting off. They come off at the airport and I put zip ties on them. There's not really anything of value, but there might be some souvenirs and I like my clothes. And it also prevents somebody from putting something IN my suitcase.[/quote

I'm actually shocked at the number of people that don't lock their bags. All my friends and family always lock their bags when travelling. So do we. Yes the TSA locks are fairly easy to pick but most people looking to steal are looking for an easy opportunity.

Also we would never put anything other then dirty laundry in the bags left in the hall. Everything else goes in bags we carry off ourselves.

I know people get a false sense of security when on vacation. But there are would be thieves everywhere. It's the same thing with stuff i see people leaving in strollers at Disney world. We never left anything except some water bottles.

Courtesy of a bell hop in Rome I can get into any suitcase in less than 30 seconds using nothing more than a ball point pen.

We always lock our checked bags going and coming and will continue to do so. If security needs to inspect our bags, we will be glad to come unlock them. We never have 'contraband' in them. Oh, and we don't fly.

Edited by tandemcruzr

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

A thief is going to steal from the easiest and fastest thing he (or she) can most of the time. Of course there are exceptions. Getting into a piece of unlocked luggage is a whole lot faster than trying to cut off zip ties or try to pick a lock.

Cruisers are up and down those hallways all the time. In fact, somebody just unzipping a piece of luggage, probably wouldn't need even draw a second look. Most likely those passing would think they were just doing something in their own luggage. But somebody doing something weird to a lock, might get a second glance and a call to security.

I have always locked my bags getting on the ship and getting off. They come off at the airport and I put zip ties on them. There's not really anything of value, but there might be some souvenirs and I like my clothes. And it also prevents somebody from putting something IN my suitcase.

As I just told another poster, courtesy of a bell hop in Rome I can get into any suitcase in less than 30 seconds using nothing more than a ball point pen.

Courtesy of a bell hop in Rome I can get into any suitcase in less than 30 seconds using nothing more than a ball point pen.

And that is why even though locked I wouldn't leave anything other then dirty laundry in my bags left in the hall.

My first cruise we wrapped duct tape all around over and over our suitcases we left out in the hall. I did that to make our luggage stand out so we could locate it quickly. I bought some duct tape that was printed with gummy bears. I think it would also deter thieves because unless they had an exacto knife to cut through all the tape it would take them forever to undo all the tape. It sure took me a long time once I got home! Even with all the duct tape tho I did not put anything of any value in the suitcases except a bunch of dirty laundry.

We did self debark/disembark (which is the correct term???) on our last cruise and will always self debark/disembark from now on.

Do you think if you would not have called security on there fighting, they would have still stolen from you? Maybe they did it out of revenge. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending theft. That's totally wrong.

:o. Wellll.... They didn't know it was us who called security and turns out we weren't the only people to call.

I will never let that keep me from doing the right thing... the girl sounded like she was being hurt.

My first cruise we wrapped duct tape all around over and over our suitcases we left out in the hall. I did that to make our luggage stand out so we could locate it quickly. I bought some duct tape that was printed with gummy bears. I think it would also deter thieves because unless they had an exacto knife to cut through all the tape it would take them forever to undo all the tape. It sure took me a long time once I got home! Even with all the duct tape tho I did not put anything of any value in the suitcases except a bunch of dirty laundry.

We did self debark/disembark (which is the correct term???) on our last cruise and will always self debark/disembark from now on.

My luggage was too much to carry myself.

felons? petty theft is not a felony,

most people are good, honest, law abiding citizens

The guy we believe took our stuff was carried off the boat in handcuffs. I guess I shouldn't call him a felon as I dot know what he did to be on probation, but I doubt it was innocent. Any theft, to me, should be a felony. If it's not yours don't touch it. Some people think they can take whatever they want because people like that have never been made or taught to work for anything. Just ridiculous. I wont apologize for saying that because it's the truth. Maybe most people are good people but the persons who stole from me are not good people.

Maybe it's time for Carnival or any cruise line to set up a place that you can drop off your luggage. Maybe a 2 hour time frame.

I believe there is a holding area on each deck where the luggage goes to. Pretty sure it's by the employee service elevators.

I know NCL has an area , it was just down the hall from us. Saw our luggage sitting there ready to be distributed.

felons? petty theft is not a felony,

most people are good, honest, law abiding citizens

Guess you missed this from the original post: "had been arrested by police that morning on board as he was on probation and had left the country on that cruise." I suppose he could have been on probation from a misdemeanor.

Triumph

Hate to say it but the biggest downside to Carnival is not Carnival but a certain segment of its customers . Give me a Carnival cruise with Celebrity , Princess or HAL pax and it would be an upgrade .

( OK I know that sounds snotty . :o)

It's the hard truth, but I have to agree. And it does not surprise me to hear it was on Triumph.

Sorry this happened to you, but 1) I would never put valuables in checked luggage, and 2) I would never leave luggage in the hallway without being locked with TSA locks. I know none of this will help you, but maybe someone reading this will learn from your experience.