Had a great time, but ruined by theft!

Kflatley

I guess you should do some research. Probation is offered on misdemeanors many times to avoid jail time.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/misdemeanors

This is the most paranoid post I have ever read. How many people of the hundreds of thousands of people who sail Carnival have had their bags broken into. We have never locked a bag, and we would never carry our own bags. I would imagine this is a very rare occurrence. Mostly after a cruise I have dirty stinky clothes in my checked bags, never anything of value. slam away

No one is slamming anyone. But misdemeanor, felony, probation, etc makes no difference to me... they had already been in trouble with the law and should not have been on the cruise. :mad:

We have all heard from someone about something or somebody on a cruise who has done this or that. Sometimes I have heard 3 or 4 versions of the same story, some even contradictory. The medivac was for a heart attack, no wait, it was a compound fracture, the next time I hear the story it was for a stroke victim. Unless we hear an announcement from the Captain, all rumors carried by cruise passengers are suspect.

There is no proof that the guy in handcuffs stole anything. He may have been arrested for spousal abuse or domestic violence, or possession of drugs. He could have an outstanding warrant for non payment of child support. To rely on a 3rd party report from someone who heard something about someone is risky to say the least.

There are many places where the theft could have occurred. I have had a checked bag with a TSA lock on it vandalized by someone unzipping an outside pocket and using a box cutter to slice the inner lining. The TSA lock was never touched and the bag looked like it wasn't touched. I noticed the damage when unpacking at home.

I'm sorry the OP,s bag was broken into, but with no proof, it is useless to pin point where the theft occurred.

#1, you werwnt there. #2, The guest was standing there while he was being arrested and he was arrested because he left the country while on probation. I don't know what he was on probation for but you can be sure he wasn't an innocent lamb. No idont know that he stole the items... as I said "we suspect he did". We shall see. :rolleyes:

. they had already been in trouble with the law and should not have been on the cruise. :mad:

Cruiselines have NEVER denied boarding to anyone thats been in trouble before. I dont understand this comment?

As long as there are no active warrants, most ANYONE can go on a cruise. Even those with active warrants are allowed to cruise. Its only when they return are they taken away in cuffs.

Cruiselines have NEVER denied boarding to anyone thats been in trouble before. I dont understand this comment?

As long as there are no active warrants, most ANYONE can go on a cruise. Even those with active warrants are allowed to cruise. Its only when they return are they taken away in cuffs.

I was meaning that as "in my opinion " sorry I didn't say that also.

OK everyone, let's calm down.

I understand that what was stolen from me wasn't super valuable, but the point is that it was mine. It did not belong to the bottom feeders who took it.

I don't care how valuable it was or wasn't. WHY has society just learned to accept it? Those who accept it and don't try to do anything about it are the ones who are further enabling the people who think they can take whatever they want without consequences!!

I was meaning that as "in my opinion " sorry I didn't say that also.

Well...it is a little more than just your opinion. Legally, he wasn't allowed on the cruise so no, he shouldn't have been there to begin with. I wish the cruise lines themselves could more efficiently do background checks pre-boarding rather than relying on CBP upon first US port call. My suspicion is, had Carnival known he was on criminal probation without permission from is probation officer, they would have denied boarding.

I am sorry that this happened to you

#1, you werwnt there. #2, The guest was standing there while he was being arrested and he was arrested because he left the country while on probation. I don't know what he was on probation for but you can be sure he wasn't an innocent lamb. No idont know that he stole the items... as I said "we suspect he did". We shall see. :rolleyes:

According to your original post, you weren't there either. I'll quote you:

we were told by other passengers that the guy my husband had seen the night before had been arrested by police that morning on board as he was on probation and had left the country on that cruise.

I am sorry that this happened to you. I just don't believe every rumor I hear while on board a ship.

I

OK everyone, let's calm down.

I understand that what was stolen from me wasn't super valuable, but the point is that it was mine. It did not belong to the bottom feeders who took it.

I don't care how valuable it was or wasn't. WHY has society just learned to accept it? Those who accept it and don't try to do anything about it are the ones who are further enabling the people who think they can take whatever they want without consequences!!

I don't think most are accepting it. To a person I would bet everyone posting here would think it is wrong and the thief should be punished to the letter of the law. However I would also be that some here, myself included, would just chalk it up as a lesson learned. My time is too valuable to that if someone stole something that I PAID $200 for (which means once I bring it home, it is probably only worth $50 or less if I tried to sell it), I would learn from it. The thief stole your items. Don't let him or her steal your time and hijack your attitude.

we were told by other passengers that the guy my husband had seen the night before had been arrested by police that morning on board as he was on probation and had left the country on that cruise.

I am sorry that this happened to you. I just don't believe every rumor I hear while on board a ship.

I

But when someone repeats that rumor on an internet forum...well then it is totally believable (eyes rolling)!

I

I actually meant you weren't on the cruise. These people were a nuisance to the people staying in the cabins near them. The cruiser that I spoke with had issues with them during the cruise also and we had discussed them prior to the arrest incident. I'm not just going off something I heard from someone I'd never talked to before. Not that it's relevant.

Anyway, the theft has been reported so at least I've done my part. I still don't like that it happened but I've learned a lesson in it all. Never meant to keep this thread going but got caught up in replying to people. I'm not a rude person. I don't have an attitude problem, but yes I was upset. For the mosthe part the people on this thread have been very helpful with tips and such, but there have been some very rude people who have just been mean. Tired of trying to defend myself on this thread when I did absolutely nothing wrong. Sometimes people just need to vent to get over it... and yes I'm over it. It's in the hands of the security team now.

It is very possible that the theft occurred off the ship and on the pier.
Once the crew picks up the luggage, it's placed on carts and makes its way off the ship. It's then staged in the terminal. It is extremely unlikely that a thief would attempt to steal from luggage at the staging area in a terminal.

A ship is nothing but a small city and you will be in very close quarters with possible criminals, racist, morons, alcoholics, drug users and addicts, pedophiles, cheaters or whomever all mixed in with the average Joe.....good lesson for all to remember....
Are you saying we should hide our kids, hide our wives? :D

All-You-Need-to-Know-about-Bed-Intruder-Antoine-Dodson-Fame-in-One-Page.jpg

2Q==

It takes just a few nano-seconds to cut a zip tie, snap a tsa lock, or use a mini-cutter(the size of tweezers) to disable a luggage lock.

I hate it when people say: my luggage is too big to move myself....then get smaller luggage and pack less

It's not about how easy it is to get past a lock. It's about slowing down a thief looking for an easy score. Many thieves who can't break into something quickly will move on to something they can.

You might hate when people say their luggage is too big to move themselves, but I hate when people try to tell others how they should pack for their own vacation.

Unless you saw someone actually in your bags, you know NOTHING.
They know they had $200 worth of stuff stolen from their luggage. They know that they, and other passengers, had a lot of trouble with the couple in the nearby cabin. A guy on probation who left the country. I'd say that's a pretty good place to start. Once the luggage is picked up by the crew and makes its way to the staging area in the terminal, it's highly unlikely a thief would risk trying to break into luggage there. So yeah, the OP knows SOMETHING. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

Once the crew picks up the luggage, it's placed on carts and makes its way off the ship. It's then staged in the terminal. It is extremely unlikely that a thief would attempt to steal from luggage at the staging area in a terminal.

Are you saying we should hide our kids, hide our wives? :D

All-You-Need-to-Know-about-Bed-Intruder-Antoine-Dodson-Fame-in-One-Page.jpg

2Q==

Bahahaha :'):'):')

well said, time for the OP to let it go
The OP lost money, lost belongings, and had their personal property violated while on vacation. That can take a toll on one's mindset. It's interesting that you tell the victim of theft it's time for them to let it go. Wouldn't it be easier for you to just let the thread go?