Where to stay in San Juan, PR?

madcitymaven

Really? Bummer! Walgreens, wow! As I recall there is a CVS within one block. It's been a few years since we stayed there. Do you know when they closed it?

Almost two years ago, I think. We were there last October and it was MOBBED. The time before it was closed and they were renovating the area.

Since it's just for one night we had success staying at the Holiday Inn Express. It's neat, clean and not overly expensive. It's about half way between the airport and the Pan American pier and it's a short walk to the Condado district. When you're in the Condado district you must go to a restaurant called Cafe de Angel (Angel's Cafe) where they serve real Puerto Rican food. The mofongo is to die for. Our roll call group had a dinner there and it was great fun. They also have seating outside to watch the people go by.

I guess if you want to splurge you could stay at the Caribe Hilton. They have a very nice property, a nice beach with a protected cove and the pool area is just magnificent. I hear the restaurants there are expensive though.

Love to pass by the fort leaving the harbor. Want to be on the starboard side to get the best view on deck. Enjoy your cruise.

There is a very nice small hotel called Villa Herencia in Old San Juan, on the same street as El Convento. The rooms are lovely, they have a rooftop terrace, usually breakfast is included. As it's in OSJ, it's not within walking distance to the pier, but it is very centrally located to all of Old San Juan.

We prefer staying in the center of Old San Jaun to expereince the culture and charm of the city and have spent multiple evenings at Villa Herencia, Caleta 64 and El Convento. I am glad to hear that lilapar enjoyed Villa Herencia (we found their cleaning standards to be very lax, and felt closed in and dark in the rooms without windows). We loved El Convento, but their pricing structure is beyond the budget of many. Caleta 64 suited us perfectly (also on the same street as the others); we loved having our own private balcony, and the price was right. There are many good options to research if you can identify your preferences as to location, price range, amenities, etc.

We stayed at Condado Plaza Hilton for three nights before our cruise. Ten minutes from port. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance. Great staff . . very nice hotel.

If you're looking for something original and charming, check out the Gallery Inn in the old part of San Juan. Stayed there years ago in one of their top floor rooms and loved the huge expanse of windows that allowed us to catch sight of our ship docked the next morning! This is a specialty inn, 300 years old, so it's definitely quirky... no elevators, labyrinth-like corridors, etc. Beautiful patio, packed with art, amazing views, exotic birds in the courtyard and warm hospitality. If you prefer chain hotels, you won't like this - but if you enjoy art and history and getting to know the personality of a place, you'll appreciate it. We absolutely loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums