How to get from Berlin to port at Wamemunde

adbfootdr1

I will be leaving Wamemunde Port in Germany to go on the NCL Dawn Baltic cruise next May. I have been told that the port is 2.5 hours by car from Berlin. I called NCL and they offer transfers for $600. PP each way. This is ridiculous. Does anybody have suggestions about how to get there. Would like to avoid renting a car. I don't know anything about train schedules etc. Thanks

I'd fly in the day before, take the train which is about €22 and stay in warnemunde or Rostock the night before. Warnemunde is a lovely seaside town with shops and restaurants.

Just to add, hertz has a store dockside so if you hire a car at the airport you can drive yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is also something called "flixbus". Have not tried myself, but I see from the schedule that the bus is going from Berlin directly to the wharf in Warnemünde . From there it should be about a 3 min taxi ride to the passenger terminal. But again - have not tried it myself :-)

Prices seem to be varying from 10 Euros to about 20 Euros (depending on the demand)...

https://www.flixbus.co.uk/?wt_eid=2149617936800312010&wt_t=1496179828034

I will be leaving Wamemunde Port in Germany to go on the NCL Dawn Baltic cruise next May. I have been told that the port is 2.5 hours by car from Berlin. I called NCL and they offer transfers for $600. PP each way. This is ridiculous. Does anybody have suggestions about how to get there. Would like to avoid renting a car. I don't know anything about train schedules etc. Thanks

The guided private tour with SPB Tour for Berlin from Warnemunde is only $125pp for published rate. I guess something is wrong with the $600pp you got for just a transfer by NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Surely that's a mistake? $600 pp

Berlin isn't on this list. But the most expensive is $85

$85 is for Rome to Civitavecchia, and Berlin to Warnemünde is like 4 times that distance. So I would not be surprised if NCL wants a lot more than $85, but not $600 per person one way! :eek: A quick search shows that you can book a private car (up to three passengers) in both directions for 600 euros total…

OP, you'll have better luck searching for transport options if you spell the name of the port right! It's two letters "RN", not an "M". :)

• 11 months later...
I was quoted $600pp for an ncl transfer from Berlin to Warnemunde. I called again and got the same quote. Ridiculous. Costs more than a flight from Texas to Germany

That’s just crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

$85 is for Rome to Civitavecchia, and Berlin to Warnemünde is like 4 times that distance. So I would not be surprised if NCL wants a lot more than $85, but not $600 per person one way! :eek: A quick search shows that you can book a private car (up to three passengers) in both directions for 600 euros total…

OP, you'll have better luck searching for transport options if you spell the name of the port right! It's two letters "RN", not an "M". :)

That is so true. The port is just too far. I remember the coach for Princess even had 2 toilet breaks and 1 coffee break in between the transfer.

I know!!!! Even from Hamburg, which is supposedly less miles it's not cheap!! I changed our cruise to Copenhagen for this reason.

The port of Warnemünde can be easily reached by Deutsche Bahn.

The trains all depart from the main train station in Berlin (Berlin Hbf) to Warnemünde. The travel time is between about 2.5 hours and 3,25 hours and the ride costs about 44 euros per person.

https://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/index.shtml?dbkanal_007=L01_S01_D001_KIN0014_top-navi-tickets-angebote_LZ01

At the main train station in Rostock you have to change train. The last distance from main train station Rostock to the station - it's call only Warnemünde - you take the S-Bahn. It's a small train, not so big as the train from Deutsche Bahn.

From the train station in Warnemünde you walk about 5 to 10 minutes on foot to the cruise port.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Warnem%C3%BCnde+Cruise+Center,+Am+Passagierkai,+Rostock/Warnem%C3%BCnde,+18119+Rostock/@54.1765093,12.0903296,17z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ac562736c7cb1f:0x58bc26db129d0330!2m2!1d12.09333!2d54.17545!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ac5620988f7ccd:0x966b11e74668e240!2m2!1d12.090591!2d54.1774115!3e2

Greetings Ute

PS:

When you have enough time in the afternoon, go back from the cruiseport in Warnemünde to the little City. Warnemünde has a nice waterside, it's called "Am Strom". You can walk to the lighthouse and the beach. For the walk you Need only 2 hours.

Edited by Ute

Wow, even after this thread was started a year ago, it seems that NCL hasn't increased the transfer fare. That's pretty good!

I was quoted $600pp for an ncl transfer from Berlin to Warnemunde. I called again and got the same quote. Ridiculous. Costs more than a flight from Texas to Germany

If you go on over to the PORTS OF CALL boards for EUROPE there are several threads that show how you can save money on getting to Warnemunde from Berlin. I've answered many of them myself.

• 3 months later...

we spent 3 days pre cruise in Berlin then got train to Warnemunde via Rostock

as a group of 4 we bought advance train tickets online at Bahn 60 euros each way[that was total for 4 of us]

however the downside of these cheap fares is no reserved seating and boarding the train at Berlin main station was a zoo with every person for yourself

the trains have 3 levels but the front coach bottom level is for bikes and with large cases can be a struggle to get up the stairs

it was so packed we ended up having to sit on our cases for the first 30 mins until people started to get off the train at the various villages we passed through

we broke the journey with an overnight stay at Hotel Intercity Rostock right next to station

in hindsight would have pushed on to Warnemunde and spent night there as found Warnemunde much more charming than Rostock

However the reason for staying at Intercity hotel was they include a free 24 hour public transportation pass and we used that to go the 20 minute local train journey from Rostock directly to Warnemunde port the next day