HAL's next ship - The Quackerdam - Oh, Canada!

OlsSalt

Nicely done. In one thread we have the weird, the whimsical and the ephemeral from Canada, the US, and Japan.

I did happen to see the Christo Gates in NYC. Wonderful -- they reminded me of the shrine in Japan with hundreds upon hundreds of orange torii gates that you pass through on your way up the hill to the shrine: http://inspiredbymaps.com/kyoto-fox-shrine/

Nicely done. In one thread we have the weird, the whimsical and the ephemeral from Canada, the US, and Japan.

I did happen to see the Christo Gates in NYC. Wonderful -- they reminded me of the shrine in Japan with hundreds upon hundreds of orange torii gates that you pass through on your way up the hill to the shrine: http://inspiredbymaps.com/kyoto-fox-shrine/

And how about your link that now led to what sure looks like another bit of extravagant whimsy - the Harbin Ice and Snow Festival, which we visited a few years ago - how can that be justified too? - 30,000 workers creating art that melts and disappears in a few months. But dazzles the millions who troop to see its ephemeral beauty.

Actually, there is no Saint John's ... anywhere in New Brunswick or Newfoundland! The official name of the city in Newfoundland and Labrador (also the province's proper name) is St. John's.

As a resident of Saint John, New Brunswick I can say you are absolutely correct. The "Saint" is always spelled out in full and never abbreviated. This attempts to avoid confusing our city with St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, which is always abbreviated. It doesn't always work though and mistakes can prove very costly.

Think about arriving in Saint John by cruise ship to find your reserved rental car is waiting for you in St. John's----or flying in for a business meeting to find you are in the wrong city. It happens all the time.

Years ago I contacted HAL to inform them that a shore excursion they were offering in St. John's was in fact an excursion from Saint John.

As a resident of Saint John, New Brunswick I can say you are absolutely correct. The "Saint" is always spelled out in full and never abbreviated. This attempts to avoid confusing our city with St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, which is always abbreviated. It doesn't always work though and mistakes can prove very costly.

Think about arriving in Saint John by cruise ship to find your reserved rental car is waiting for you in St. John's----or flying in for a business meeting to find you are in the wrong city. It happens all the time.

Years ago I contacted HAL to inform them that a shore excursion they were offering in St. John's was in fact an excursion from Saint John.

Happened to me once when headed for St. John's on business trip. Secretary booked me a flight to Saint John and I did not notice until getting to the airport and the person I was travelling with and I noticed we were on different flights :o Luckily, they were able to change it at the airport.

There is a Saint John and a Saint John's. One is in New Brunswick and the other is in Newfoundland. A trick to remember which city goes with which province is that the combination of the city name and the province can only contain two of the letter s, so it is Saint John, New Brunswick, and Saint John's, Newfoundland.

That's almost how I differentiate them too! My version is... if there is an S in the province name then there is no S in the city name. So easy to get them confused.

What did it all mean - just pure whimsy I suppose, but it was surprisingly popular and plenty of people came away utterly charmed by this work of great visual appeal. Can't justify it, but life without color and whimsy would also be a lot poorer as well.

Exactly how I see it. Who doesn't love a giant bath duck?!

(BTW: the umbrella project ended tragically after one flew away and gored a woman to death. Surprisingly, her family said she was terminal anyway and her dying wish was in fact to see this umbrella project.
:eek:

and

:')

Happened to me once when headed for St. John's on business trip. Secretary booked me a flight to Saint John and I did not notice until getting to the airport and the person I was travelling with and I noticed we were on different flights :o Luckily, they were able to change it at the airport.

Me too----I booked a trip with Air Miles over the phone to fly from Saint John to Edmonton. When I received my ticket by mail (it was before internet tickets) I gave it a quick glance. Later it struck me that the time quoted for the return flight seemed unusually long so I looked closer. Sure enough, I was booked from St. John's.

The helpful agent at Air Miles tried to tell me that once a ticket was issued it could not be changed.

Well after a discussion he agreed to change it and to reissue a cheaper insurance coverage on the shorter and cheaper flight as well. I was not impressed by their attitude over their mistake at all. A less assertive person would have been out of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhat back to one half of the op's thread title. Has there ever, and wouldn't it be nice if there hadn't been, to have a new ship named , say Nieuw Halifax or something distinctly Canadian? This from a lowered 48'r. From visiting the museum a lot of HAL ships famously brought a large portion of the future Canadian population as well.

Dennis

Dennis

The duck was supposed to be at Tall Ships Philadelphia-Camden a couple of years ago but before we got there it had snagged on something underwater and the air all leaked out. They tried to repair it (with Duck Tape?) but it didn't hold, so all we saw was a pile of yellow up on the shore.

http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2015/06/crew_works_to_repair_badly_damaged_duck_at_tall_sh.html

I was terribly disappointed that I wasn't able to have a giant yellow rubber duck in the background of all of my tall ship pictures.

The duck was supposed to be at Tall Ships Philadelphia-Camden a couple of years ago but before we got there it had snagged on something underwater and the air all leaked out. They tried to repair it (with Duck Tape?) but it didn't hold, so all we saw was a pile of yellow up on the shore.

http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2015/06/crew_works_to_repair_badly_damaged_duck_at_tall_sh.html

I was terribly disappointed that I wasn't able to have a giant yellow rubber duck in the background of all of my tall ship pictures.

Oh dear. What terrible news. I am so sorry. (Are you sure this was not underwater separatist sabotage. :evilsmile:)

NOOOOOOOO :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Oh wait. You said a couple of years ago. I can relax again. lol