HAL's next ship - The Quackerdam - Oh, Canada!

OlsSalt

What a great name - The Quackerdam!

I was lucky enough to see the big duck and the baby duck in San Pedro, CA in 2014. Seeing the duck had been on my bucket list for years.

They are really very charming in person!

Hope this shows up in Sydney harbor when we are there in August, where it all began for Canada - congratulations on 150 very successful years. PS - I love it. The MS Quackerdam. http://www.recorder.ca/2017/05/30/what-the-duck-mpp-balks-at-cost-of-giant-rubber-duck-that-will-come-to-brockville

Confederation for Canada began in Charlottetown, PEI and not in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Hope this shows up in Sydney harbor when we are there in August, where it all began for Canada - congratulations on 150 very successful years. PS - I love it. The MS Quackerdam. http://www.recorder.ca/2017/05/30/what-the-duck-mpp-balks-at-cost-of-giant-rubber-duck-that-will-come-to-brockville

Sorry, it's going to be in Brockville in August. That's in Ontario and a long ways from Nova Scotia.

Being Canadian, just a little history correction that might be of interest - Confederation began when the leaders of New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia discussed a union. The Province of Canada (the rest of Canada at the time which is now known as Ontario and Quebec) asked to join in the meeting and were invited. The first meeting in 1864 was held in Charlottetown, PEI.

In 1867, they brought the draft to the Queen for approval and on July 1, 1867 the Dominion of Canada was born. It was comprised of the New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and the former Province Of Canada whih became Ontario & Quebec. It would take nearly a century before Canada contained all the provinces as it is known now.

Hope you enjoy some 150th birthday celebrations while you are in our lovely country.

Oops, looks like sapper and I replied at the same time - sorry.

MS Quackerdam sure has been making the news up here the last couple of days. Your tax dollar at work. It well be here in Midland ON. which is at the south end of Georgian Bay at the end of July.

Allan

Confederation for Canada began in Charlottetown, PEI and not in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Thank you so much for clarifying! I kept wondering what Australia had to do with anything, since I knew PEI was the birthplace of the Confederation.

Oooops, getting my prior port excursions mixed up. My apologies.

I remember visiting the grand hall where this confederation meeting took place with the very large sculpture commemorating the date. Even better it was PEI, because our visit to the Green Gables farm had to be one of our most delightful excursions. Beautiful countryside. A nice cradle for a new country. Sorry we will miss seeing the wonderful Duck. Whimsy can be vastly under appreciated. Go Canada!

We will go see it in Midland...since we already paid for it....

For some reason, I can't remember which item number that was on my income tax return!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruth- at least once a year someone bound for Sydney, Australia arrives in Sydney, Nova Scotia. A couple of winters ago it was a Grandfather and Grandson from England. Big surprise when you are expecting a southern summer and get a Canadian winter! They were warmly greeted and housed until they could fly back.

Ruth- at least once a year someone bound for Sydney, Australia arrives in Sydney, Nova Scotia. A couple of winters ago it was a Grandfather and Grandson from England. Big surprise when you are expecting a southern summer and get a Canadian winter! They were warmly greeted and housed until they could fly back.

That's sadly funny. I'm sure they were taken care of because I have found the people of Sydney, Nova Scotia to be very kind.

However, I do know it to be a small town, so not the first place I think of when I hear the word "Sydney" without more specifics.

No offense meant, dear neighbors in Canada. I've had a few very nice visits to Sydney, NS.

LOL, it's the same with Saint John, New Brunswick and St. John Newfoundland - two totally different place and not good when your luggage is in one place and you in the other or as I heard one dumbounded person say to the airline rep ....but, I"m not supposed to be here ;) :)

LOL, it's the same with Saint John, New Brunswick and St. John Newfoundland - two totally different place and not good when your luggage is in one place and you in the other or as I heard one dumbounded person say to the airline rep ....but, I"m not supposed to be here ;) :)

As a geographically challenged Lower 48'er, I was so excited I might finally see the famous Bay of Fundy tides during our VOV stop at St John's. I kept scratching my head why HAL was offering no shore excursion for that event.

So I got my geography lesson the hard way too - we were going to the other St Johns. And it looks like other treasures still lurk for us in the other St Johns. Plus it sounds like watching the Fundy tides rushing in and out takes far more than just a port stop.

As a geographically challenged Lower 48'er, I was so excited I might finally see the famous Bay of Fundy tides during our VOV stop at St John's. I kept scratching my head why HAL was offering no shore excursion for that event.

So I got my geography lesson the hard way too - we were going to the other St Johns. And it looks like other treasures still lurk for us in the other St Johns. Plus it sounds like watching the Fundy tides rushing in and out takes far more than just a port stop.

Actually not. If your cruise port times are right you can catch the infamous high tides that cause us grief at times with the big storms.

At the very least, you can catch the Reversing Falls where the tide reverses and, if timed right, you can see the time back up and change.

There is a Saint John and a Saint John's. One is in New Brunswick and the other is in Newfoundland. A trick to remember which city goes with which province is that the combination of the city name and the province can only contain two of the letter s, so it is Saint John, New Brunswick, and Saint John's, Newfoundland.

A trick to remember which city goes with which province is that the combination of the city name and the province can only contain two of the letter s, so it is Saint John, New Brunswick, and Saint John's, Newfoundland.

I love that trick! Thanks for posting it.

I know there is a difference, and I know what the difference is, but I always have to think it through so be sure I have it right. This will make it a lot easier to do the thinking quickly.

There is a Saint John and a Saint John's. One is in New Brunswick and the other is in Newfoundland. A trick to remember which city goes with which province is that the combination of the city name and the province can only contain two of the letter s, so it is Saint John, New Brunswick, and Saint John's, Newfoundland.

Actually, there is no Saint John's ... anywhere in New Brunswick or Newfoundland! The official name of the city in Newfoundland and Labrador (also the province's proper name) is St. John's.

I live in Brockville and the duck will be here on my birthday! Beautiful Brockville in the 1000 Islands.

Hi Tbay.....I live in Brockville to!!!!! I think the rubber duck will be neat to see floating up the St. Lawrence but the money spent on it not so neat lol. And really what does it have to do with Canada's 150th? Oh well what do I know lol. It can join the other wonderful projects around Brockville we have spent a ridiculous amount of money on such as the Aquatarium and the Railway Tunnel!!!

Living in Southern California we were the site of installation artist Christo's "The Umbrellas" miles of colored umbrellas going up and down hills tied into a similar installation in Japan - they opened the umbrellas in these two location at the exact same time.

(Starting at minute 1:52)

What did it all mean - just pure whimsy I suppose, but it was surprisingly popular and plenty of people came away utterly charmed by this work of great visual appeal. Can't justify it, but life without color and whimsy would also be a lot poorer as well.

Love your duck and I hope it ends up just as well loved as our miles of Christo's umbrellas. If you could get a dollar for every smile it generates, you will be well paid back. Thanks for doing this. And Happy Anniversary. .... youngsters.

(BTW: the umbrella project ended tragically after one flew away and gored a woman to death. Surprisingly, her family said she was terminal anyway and her dying wish was in fact to see this umbrella project. Christo closed it down anyway - an unexpected and certainly unintended end for his very curious set of visions on the land.)