Fooled Me!!!

Sea and Me

We were considering booking a cruise on the Pearl for November, 9 days out of New Orleans. My travel agent took the info and yesterday emailed the information! The perks he put us down for were the dining and beverage packages. As I was looking over the booking information I noticed these fees for both packages!! The beverage package had a $255.96 fee (($127.98pp) and the dining $24.84 fee($12.42 pp) those fees are the gratuities that you pay for the packages!!!! A total of $270.80. So Norwegian offers these to the passengers only to get more $$$$ plus the gratituities for the rest of the crew!! This is outrageous to me. As I said in my first sentence we were considering booking, not any longer. I am certain Norwegian will not go broke because I am not booking this cruise. I probably could without choosing any perks but that defeats the "offer" from the cruise line.

Thanks for reading my post.

Edited by Sea and Me
wording

We've sailed Royal and Carnival and last year for the first time NCL. We had the drink package and yes, paid gratuities on the drink package, but we crunched the numbers and we were still ahead in pricing!!! I also think we need to pay gratuities as those are charged when you don't have the package. We found NCL to be an amazing cruise line and it was our first and quite enjoyable! Hope you find what you're looking for and happy about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh my gosh that charge is for the gratuities for those packages as you will not be given any kind of slip to sign where you can tip. If you were not planning on tipping then feel free to be outraged. Otherwise just do the math and enjoy the cruise. $127 pp for all you can drink is a steal if you are going to drink more than 10-12 drinks in 9 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were considering booking a cruise on the Pearl for November, 9 days out of New Orleans. My travel agent took the info and yesterday emailed the information! The perks he put us down for were the dining and beverage packages. As I was looking over the booking information I noticed these fees for both packages!! The beverage package had a $255.96 fee (($127.98pp) and the dining $24.84 fee($12.42 pp) those fees are the gratuities that you pay for the packages!!!! A total of $270.80. So Norwegian offers these to the passengers only to get more $$$$ plus the gratituities for the rest of the crew!! This is outrageous to me. As I said in my first sentence we were considering booking, not any longer. I am certain Norwegian will not go broke because I am not booking this cruise. I probably could without choosing any perks but that defeats the "offer" from the cruise line.

If you don't tip, I could almost understand your outrage. If you don't each consume the equivalent cost of the daily drinks tip ($7.11), I could almost understand your outrage. If you don't each value the equivalent cost of the per upgraded dining meal ($4.14), I can't understand your outrage. Sorry these perks don't resonate with you. For some of us, these perks (with the required tips) are a great deal and save us $100's.

Oh my gosh that charge is for the gratuities for those packages as you will not be given any kind of slip to sign where you can tip. If you were not planning on tipping then feel free to be outraged. Otherwise just do the math and enjoy the cruise. $127 pp for all you can drink is a steal if you are going to drink more than 10-12 drinks in 9 days.

Exactly!!!!! $14/day in tips is nothing and completely due to the servers taking care of getting you unlimited drinks!!!! When you think about any drink up to $15 is included, anytime of the day, I know we definitely drank our money's worth! Before anyone makes a snide comment about that, we were never drunk and never woke up hungover either. It was a thoroughly enjoyable cruise not to have to worry each time we had a drink and knowing we'd have an additional bill at the end. We had such an amazing time and the only cruise we felt total relaxation with!

These fees seem reasonable to me also. If you don't want to see these fees, try Celebrity. Their gratuities are built in to the package price. You'll pay more, but you might get some comfort in feeling like there are no add-on tip fees.

Do a cost comparison on other lines for 9 day cruises then add in what you think your bar tab and specialty restaurant expenses would be. If you think its cheaper to go with the other lines by all means do it. For what I priced out for my upcoming October cruise my family will save THOUSANDS of dollars under what I would have paid on other lines.

Your TA should have been aware of the gratuities added to the drinks and specialty dining packages and informed you. This info is also listed in the Terms and Conditions for the packages on the NCL website and discussed daily here, so the information is not a secret. If you buy your drinks without a package, you'll have 18% gratuity added onboard. You are simply paying the 18% upfront on the package "value". If you are a really light drinker, it may indeed not be worth it to you, but if you end up buying just one $15 martini daily without a package, you'd have gotten your money's worth from that $128, and most people drink far more than that.

The dining package ( 3 specialty meals? ) for $12.42 pp is a no brainer if you'd like a few specialty meals in the mostly a la carte restaurants where without a package your final bill could reach $50 plus 18% for just one meal.

If you truly don't want these, then there are other perks to choose from, or choose none. Sometimes the fare is less, sometimes the same.

Thanks I now understand, if we were to order a drink without the package there is a tip involved (we always tip) so they want to make sure that the tip is included (makes sense now). Thanks!!

I'm a platinum cruiser with NCL and have absolutely no problem paying the $12.42/pp gratuity on the dining package. The only question I've had is who receives it? I suspect a portion goes into a pool for whatever restaurant we frequent. $12.42 for 3 meals in the speciality restaurants seems very low to me. We generally give the server a cash tip in appreciation for the individual service provided.

I find it outrageous that after 12 years on Cruise Critic you didn't know to take 30 seconds to click on the promo read the Terms and Conditions. (insert multiple exclamation points and an eye roll).

Outraged!!!

(not really)

Edited by ColeThornton

Or, you can simply changed the "Perks" that the TA selected to something else, by speaking to your agent - isn't that an option, I think so. Maybe, your TA didn't explain the different options or packages while preparing your package quotes ... with the "hidden" fees or add-on charges.

Granted, these 4 or 5 "Free At Seas" promotional pricing are priced in with the "perks" - it's been discussed so I am making an uninformed guess that you haven't booked or sailed NCL lately ... it's fine, we don't drink alcohol and really sail for "specialty" dining. Select, for example, the "free" WiFi minutes and Shore Excursion credits and there are no "extra" service charges or gratuities, etc. added to your fares/port taxes ... aside from the DSC, which is about $14 p/p daily.

The dining and beverage options are "values-added" with fees, but you do not have to select those - it's just like some T/A will add trip insurance to a package ... until requested to take them off, if one feel it is not needed, and, there are plenty of cruisers who opted to not buy or "pay" all these extras, and happy with sailing NCL. This isn't in any way, cheering or an attempt to defend NCL's practices - been discussed & passionately debated before. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Every cruise line adds gratuity to all food and beverage and spa packages. It is still possible to pay for a cruise, eat only at the free restaurants and drink the free tea, lemonade, coffee and water. In other words, you can cruise and pay no extra $ for anything and still have a great time!

You fooled me!

I opened this thread only to find a person that can not do math and feels he was being scammed. The OP complains that NCL did not tell him the whole story, then he titles a post without telling the story.

As to the issue itself... the folks that already posted covered it well.

This. My bar bill has been $800-$900 on a 10 day cruise. It's still a steal (and it's tipping the servers/bartenders)

We are sailing in Oct. and chose the internet minutes and the dining. We only have a few drinks and felt for us this was the best option. We also booked recently and got a ship board credit and that should help cove the beverages.

Your TA should have been aware of the gratuities added to the drinks and specialty dining packages and informed you. This info is also listed in the Terms and Conditions for the packages on the NCL website and discussed daily here, so the information is not a secret. If you buy your drinks without a package, you'll have 18% gratuity added onboard. You are simply paying the 18% upfront on the package "value". If you are a really light drinker, it may indeed not be worth it to you, but if you end up buying just one $15 martini daily without a package, you'd have gotten your money's worth from that $128, and most people drink far more than that.

The dining package ( 3 specialty meals? ) for $12.42 pp is a no brainer if you'd like a few specialty meals in the mostly a la carte restaurants where without a package your final bill could reach $50 plus 18% for just one meal.

If you truly don't want these, then there are other perks to choose from, or choose none. Sometimes the fare is less, sometimes the same.

These are my thoughts exactly! I was going to say all of this but then read your post. Well said!

We are sailing in Oct. and chose the internet minutes and the dining. We only have a few drinks and felt for us this was the best option. We also booked recently and got a ship board credit and that should help cove the beverages.

Everyone should do the math and see if the UBP makes sense for them. For me, it usually doesn't. I generally have one glass of wine with dinner most evenings so the UBP doesn't make sense for me. BUT, I'm bringing a friend with me on my next cruise (in 15 days!!!) and when we get together we enjoy a few cocktails so I'll likely get more than my money's worth. LOL. In "real life" I drink zero drinks unless I'm out with friends, so the UBP almost never makes sense for me.

The virgin frozen drinks are delicious and very refreshing. Here in Dallas a premium milkshake costs $5 plus.

I am not a big drinker. With the package I can have a bloody mary per se and ask for a half a jigger. If I was paying full price that is frustrating value-wise.

Just a few thoughts.

My travel agent took the info and yesterday emailed the information! The perks he put us down for were the dining and beverage packages. As I was looking over the booking information I noticed these fees for both packages!! The beverage package had a $255.96 fee (($127.98pp) and the dining $24.84 fee($12.42 pp) those fees are the gratuities that you pay for the packages!!!!

I guess travel agents can't be expected to know everything, but you might talk to him or her and let them know that NCL charges gratuities on their "free" packages. As far as I know, only NCL does this, but any travel agent worth their salt should have explained all the charges you will see on the invoice. Especially ones that are unique to that cruise line.

Now, if you were not using a travel agent and booking on line, you would have seen the promo gratuities charges in the price breakdown that updates as you go along in the booking process. Here's a screen cap of it: 2017-06-03_1153

You can then select the same fare, without the dining and beverage packages, and not have those charges. On this cruise booking, I have several options to choose, including no promos at all. The internet minutes and excursion credits don't incur any additional charges: 2017-06-03_1157

Its a unique way of doing it, but a travel agent is there for the unique situations, right? The gratuities on free promos that involve wait staff has been in place for more than a year, and it's pretty clear what's happening when you book a site yourself.

I think along with never cruising NCL again you should never use that travel agent again.

I would like to sincerely thank all of you for your comments, some nice, some not so nice. I realize that I might not be cruise savvy as some of you may be but honestly I do appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post. I have learned a lot by reading them. Our very first cruise was on Norwegian and the experience was a good one. IF ever we decide to do a Norwegian cruise I will be sure to read every detail of what is offered.

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend.

Good point! Not everyone may not be aware of drink prices, but they all will get 3 specialty dinner for $12.42 total.

This. My bar bill has been $800-$900 on a 10 day cruise. It's still a steal (and it's tipping the servers/bartenders)

Can I be your drinking buddy?

Agreed - if you want to drink then buy the package but know about it first before you commit - if you just want to have a drink here and there you might be way a head just to order one when you want and not worry about it.... but those that love or want to drink it's money well spent...

Again - can I be your drinking buddy? lol