Jacket Required for Princess Alaska Cruise Formal Nights?

JessInNY

Cruises set the dress code (formal and regular nights) to provide an experience for their passengers. Some people go their own route, making that experience more comfortable for themselves and in doing so*may* dilute the experience for those around them.

If I was gong to a wedding and it was suggested black tie, I'd wear appropriate attire or not attend. Princess has the horizon court for that.

I agree.

Cruises set the dress code (formal and regular nights) to provide an experience for their passengers. Some people go their own route, making that experience more comfortable for themselves and in doing so*may* dilute the experience for those around them.

If I was gong to a wedding and it was suggested black tie, I'd wear appropriate attire or not attend. Princess has the horizon court for that.

I would hardly equate dining in the MDR to a life changing event like a wedding ceremony. That is one heck of a looooooong stretch! :rolleyes:

As long as something is a suggestion, it is just that - a suggestion. Do you follow every suggestion to the letter in your personal life? I didn't think so.

I would hardly equate dining in the MDR to a life changing event like a wedding ceremony. That is one heck of a looooooong stretch! :rolleyes:

As long as something is a suggestion, it is just that - a suggestion. Do you follow every suggestion to the letter in your personal life? I didn't think so.

I strive to - do as you wish.

Edited by davestic
grammar

I strive to - do as you wish.

I'm with you.

If I know in advance that there is requirement suggestion, code request, whatever you may choose to call it) i for onemake every effort to comply.

Seems many think their preferences are more important.

We can discuss this all night long & day after day. This is up to Princess Cruises to decide. As long as Princess decides to say tonight is formal night. I will be in my Tux or at least have a Sport Jacket on.

Now that's only me. Now if you don't think you have to have a jacket on that's up to you.

Next week someone else will be asking the same question again and you will have the same answers from the same people all over again.

Tony

We can discuss this all night long & day after day. This is up to Princess Cruises to decide. As long as Princess decides to say tonight is formal night. I will be in my Tux or at least have a Sport Jacket on.

Now that's only me. Now if you don't think you have to have a jacket on that's up to you.

Next week someone else will be asking the same question again and you will have the same answers from the same people all over again.

Tony

I'm with you on this one Tony, not often I take a Tux, but always at least a dark suit. To me it's a question of respect, to myself, to others and to the cruise line.

I'm with you on this one Tony, not often I take a Tux, but always at least a dark suit. To me it's a question of respect, to myself, to others and to the cruise line.

Cheers gents - we hope to see you on the water. :cool:

Tony

Princess can call it anything they like but when they actually give suggestions of what is appropriate attire, and wearing of a jacket is not among them, it's obvious that Princess respects the rights of individuals not dress up if they so choose and still enjoy the DR on formal nights.

Those that say it's a requirement are quoting from a decade ago when it was mandatory and simply refuse to change with the times.

Not that there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

Tony

Exactly.

If it is truly less than 5% of the passengers then what is the continual problem with some trying to force this 5% to comply. They never will and all the postings here will not change a thing. Tell people what Princess allows, let them decide and go and enjoy a cruise. If how someone dresses on a specific night of a cruise bothers someone that much then the problem is deeper than people think.

Princess guidelines for formal evenings simply state -

"Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

No matter how you slice it, mandatory doesn't enter into their suggestions. ;)

From what I see 99 % of the people on Princess follow the suggested dress code (although they do disregard the tie). It's only the few formalists that can't bear to see others not follow their lead & put on the jacket & tie (for their pleasure) and make the assumption that the others are disregarding Princess's demands.

I see the CC fashion police are well represented here. I have not worn a suit coat or tie in years and have never had a problem. For the last couple years I have been wearing my guayabera short sleeved shirt and docker pants to the MDR on formal night. I have certainly never been the only male in the MDR without a coat or noose around my neck.

Don't you just love the ones that like to throw out percentages of who wears what? I wonder if they position themselves beside the entrances to the three MDR and actually count how many males wear a suit coat versus how many do not. :rolleyes: