are the new Alaska Princess rail cars in service yet?

puli

Our first cruise coming up in September, '17. Cruise tour in Alaska. Island Princess. These excellent photographs suggest the seat pitch is tighter as on an airplane vs what I remember on Amtrak. I'm 5'11". And I like to stretch my legs. Are those footrests under the seat ahead of you? I understand seating is assigned but on a southbound rail trip from Talkeetna to Whittier, is the scenery on one side of the train significantly better?

Yes, those are foot rests and the pitch is actually better than the airline seats. DH and I were quite comfortable and we are 5'11" and 5'8 respectively so we notice tight seating.

There are times when the views are better on either side but I would say that I would prefer seating on the right side of the train. That side would see Denali (on the rare occasion it is out) and the Turnagin arm after Anchorage. But you can get up and take pictures from the platforms between cars at any time. It's a 9 hour trip so I took every opportunity possible to move around!

But you can get up and take pictures from the platforms between cars at any time. It's a 9 hour trip so I took every opportunity possible to move around!

Actually I found taking pictures through the windows by the seats to be very difficult due to reflections on the window.

The platforms between cars are the best place to take photos.