Advice on visiting 911 Museum, Freedom Tower Observatory and more

4774Papa

We will be on the Celebrity Eclipse porting in NYC, arriving 3PM on 5 November, departing Midnight 6 Nov.

We booked the Statue of Liberty Pedestal and Ellis Island Tour for 10AM on Monday 6 Nov. Based on what I have read from others on travel sites, I think we would be finished by 3 or 4 PM. Does that make sense?

I know the lines will be long for both the museum and the Freedom Tower Observatory. Is it possible to do both that day or should we plan on visiting either the museum or Observatory the late afternoon on Sunday 5 Nov?

I agree with previous post on book museum in advance , 2 hours is all you need with museum, but need time in reflecting pools, elevator to top is a amazing ride they painted pictures of the growth of the city from 1800's to present so it looks like a film going up there. Lines are not bad for this so you can wait till there to buy. If it is a clear day views from up there are amazing, small bar and restaurants are also up there , lots more in this area including Frances tavern ( where Washington gave farewell address and Trinity church and of course Wall Street

You can visit the 9/11 Memorial and churches without an appointment. The museum is very intense and does need reservations. The oculus transportation is right next door to the memorial. The Freedom Tower, do you want to go up to the observation deck or just look from outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

As others have said, 9/11 museum allow yourself ample time like 3 plus hours. I had to rush thru after 2.5 hrs to go to a biz meeting. I went around 1 pm on a Wednesday in the fall. No reservations needed.

Freedom Tower, it is recommended that one visit on a good clear day to maximize the views which can be seen beyond 20 plus miles. No backpacks, no liquids, no food are allowed. Only a purse or small fanny pack and camera are allowed. Security is extremely strict. You can book tickets online the day before. There were times I wanted to go to the Freedom Tower and was ready to book only to hear that it would be "cloudy" so I scrapped it.

kate