Anthem -05.25.17 - 06.03.17

Just back from 9 night Bermuda & Caribbean cruise Anthem– May 25th - June 3rd

We are in our 50’s – 5 of us in our group – We had 5:30 seating for dinner and we had the drink package.

Overall a very nice trip and a great ship –

Embarkation: A lot of traffic as we got near New Jersey – 2 hour trip took us 4 hours coming from PA. We allowed plenty of time so it was just frustrating dealing with traffic. (we couldn’t wait to get there lol) This was our 4th time taking this route and never encountered that much traffic.

Seating in the terminal at 10:30 started boarding at 11:10 on the ship by 11:40.

Rooms –

Deck 9 – Balcony – 9248. Very roomy and we had the bump out balcony which was huge. We also had a solo traveler with us who had Cabin 7248. Double Bed – and a balcony. Very nice. Bath products provided in the balcony rooms – shampoo – conditioner – lotion – soap. All came in about 3 inch size tubes. I still brought my own. HairDryers – 1200 Watts – not very powerful and took a while to dry my hair.

Dining –

Breakfast – we ate in the Windjammer and it had the usual selections and was very good.

Tip - When you enter the Windjammer go straight all the way to the back – you will find outdoor seating and a chef making Crepes. I chose to have a mimosa every morning – I simply asked one of the staff who were clearing off tables to get it for me and they returned with it quickly.

Tip – If you didn’t happen to bring a coffee mug with a lid that you can carry coffee out in – You can get coffee cups with lids at the"Expresso Coffee" making section of the Windjammer - Just ask.

Lunch – We either went to the Windjammer or to Café 270. Windjammer usual lunch fare and very good– although I couldn’t find Chicken Tenders at lunch. Café 270 – as others have said Roast Beef Sandwiches are great. Something I discovered under the “Snack Section” of the menu. Cajun Shrimp with a remoulade sauce.. You get 5 pretty big shrimp that they put on a bed of lettuce and drizzle with the sauce – delicious.

Dinner – Mixed feelings from the group. We were in Chic – I have to say the dining room was nothing visually that great to look at. I guess I am spoiled from the three tiered dining rooms of the smaller ships.

Service was so-so – I think they are understaffed because they were running around like crazy but long periods of waiting. The waiters were trying though. We learned quickly to bring a drink in with you – if you order one during dinner you won’t see it. At least we didn’t. We only ate there half the time. The food was okay. If Ihad to pick out favorites it would be the crab cakes (appetizer- order 2 theyare small), Lobster was good (about 6oz – we each ordered 2 tails no problem)and the Halibut, Ny Strip also good. I also enjoyed the cheesecake. I think if they added more staff and bartenders it would be better.

Windjammer for dinner – this was surprisingly pretty good.There was a lot of people dining in there. They had some interesting options as well. They have a theme every night– Caribbean, Asian – Tex Mex to name a few.

Snacks – We has Sorrento’s Pizza and the little sandwiches at the Café Promenade.

Tip – the Sea Plex Dog House has great German Sausage and Bratwurst. You can add Sauerkraut and sweet peppers.

Entertainment – we saw Spectra’s Cabaret and We Will Rock u. These shows are both amazing in my opinion. Spectra’s Cabaret in 270 is so visually outstanding.There was so much going on I didn’t know what to look at first. If you go you will know what I mean. It’s amazing what they do in that Venue. The cast of We Will Rock you were great. I was very impressed with the choreography and the singing. I thought it would have been more of a tribute to Queen but my take is that it is a story about Rock and Roll with different Queen Songs woven in. A lot of funny one liners and so talented.

Drink Package – okay this worked out well for us and I will tell you why.

First I got the package for 39.99 plus 18% gratuity. They dropped the price a couple of days before the cruise. I will give you an example of one day so you can see how this paid for itself. Don’t judge me I am on vacation lol.

Mimosa ($3) – 2 drinks by the pool (9.00 each - $18.00) 2 Wines with dinner (12.00 each $24.00) I am already past what I paid for the daily drink package and that does not include all the Soda and Water I had with my freestyle cup. Also some drinks at the shows etc. (ouch my liver!)

Tip – There is a Freestyle Coke Machine on Deck 15 – at the Sea Plex Doghouse that was hardly ever being used.

Favorite outdoor bar – Right under North Star there is a bar with bartenders – Hugh – Gary –Hopeton all from Jamaica fabulous !

This is just a high level review if you have any questions Iwill try and answer them. We really enjoyed the ship – I think this is a awesome ship for people who have children alot of activities for them but I think you get more personal attention on the smaller ships from an adult perspective. This could be something that just happens with bigger ships. I would definitely sail on Anthem again. There are lots of positives on this ship.

Just want to say thanks for the tips! I didn't know there was a crepe station available in the windjammer. Would you happen to remember if they had an omelet station? thanks :-)

Just want to say thanks for the tips! I didn't know there was a crepe station available in the windjammer. Would you happen to remember if they had an omelet station? thanks :-)

Yes I remember seeing two stations (there could more) but def saw 2.

Thank You Did you ever get fresh fruit and veggie smoothies in the solarium bar?

No I did get those.

How where the crowds in Bermuda?

Not too bad - the American Cup Race practice was going on but they were kind of in there own area. We were the only shop to.

Your favorite meal period on ship.

Lobster night - Had smoked tomato soup - ceasre salad - lobster tails - saffron rice and vegetables.

Debating doing this cruise end of September but not sure if the weather will be warm enough for water activities ? As we are an active early 50 yr old couple can we find other stuff to do to keep busy?

We also would be driving from western Pa and wondered if its real difficult to get to the port,? Where did you park? Cost?

Debating doing this cruise end of September but not sure if the weather will be warm enough for water activities ? As we are an active early 50 yr old couple can we find other stuff to do to keep busy?

We also would be driving from western Pa and wondered if its real difficult to get to the port,? Where did you park? Cost?

The weather will be warm at the islands - being from PA you kind of know the East Coast Weather but remember this ship has the indoor adult pool - There is plenty to do on the ship. I have the compasses and will be scanning them but don't know how soon I will get to it.

We parked in the parking lot at the port - $20 per day. Its not too difficult to get to with a GPS - you are on 80 West for the majority of the trip. There are a couple quick exits off 78 when you get close but the GPS was really good about getting us there.

Yes, there's a omelet station in the WJ. At lunch, one of the stations, becomes a pasta station, where you can order pasta with various sauces. On out 9 nite NE/Canada cruise, we caught the crepe station + ice cream and other toppings.

Yes, there's a omelet station in the WJ. At lunch, one of the stations, becomes a pasta station, where you can order pasta with various sauces. On out 9 nite NE/Canada cruise, we caught the crepe station + ice cream and other toppings.

OP, thank you for the info! Also, thanks for letting me know about the pasta station. I'm looking forward to that one!

Days in port and when you are off the ship touring must have an effect on your decision as to whether or not to buy the drinks package. OK it depends of course how long you are off the ship but days when you are off early and back late afternoon will affect your decision surely.

Days in port and when you are off the ship touring must have an effect on your decision as to whether or not to buy the drinks package. OK it depends of course how long you are off the ship but days when you are off early and back late afternoon will affect your decision surely.

Yes I did think about the - 4 port days - 1 which was Haiti that is included in the drink package. -We did get bottles of water (included in the drink package) to take with us on port days and we did have some drinks that evening. So overall averaging it out over 9 days def worked for us.