Anytime Dining -- couple willing to join others - how does this work?

junglejane

After many years of traditional dining on Princess with our family of 4, my DH and I are about to cruise as a couple without our kids (woo-hoo!). We are signed up for Anytime Dining and have some questions. We plan on going to specialty restaurants some nights. When we go to AD, we don't insist on a table for 2 and are willing to be seated with others. But I'm wondering how that actually works.

When we've gone to afternoon tea, for example, they pretty much seat you along with whoever walked in just in front of you or just behind you. But how does it work for AD? Do they page you? Do they try to pair you up with another couple? Or is it like afternoon tea when it's based on whoever walked up at the same time?

Is there any point in making a reservation if you're willing to be seated with others, or is that just for getting your own table? Is there much chance of getting seated with a large table of non-English speakers? What are the experiences of others with sharing at AD?

When you walk in the first thing they will ask you is do you want to share a table. If you say yes, they will show you to the most available table--it may be large or small. If you want a particular size table, if one is available they will take you to it; if not they will give you a pager. I'm not aware of anyone being seated at a large table of non-English speakers. If that should happen simply request another table--I'm sure no one will be offended if the reason for the request is obvious.

When you enter the dining room you will be asked if you are willing to share. Answer in the affirmative and you will find yourself sharing. Same thing with breakfast and lunch in MDR. Whenever we have had ATD (or at lunch or breakfast in MDR) we have always shared and it has been great. Lots of folks to meet from various places.

Generally they will try to sit u as a couple only unless u request sharing...If it is a busy time you might have to wait for any size table and will be given a pager. You can make reservations for whatever size table or time you would like.If you r concerned about languages make your preference known. On certain cruises I have asked to be seated with English speakers...we also have had people leave large tables because they did not understand English, no one takes offense.

Yes, it is like tea or breakfast or lunch seating.

Edited by land lover

When you enter the dining room you will be asked if you are willing to share. Answer in the affirmative and you will find yourself sharing. Same thing with breakfast and lunch in MDR. Whenever we have had ATD (or at lunch or breakfast in MDR) we have always shared and it has been great. Lots of folks to meet from various places.

We are thinking of booking a Princess cruise and choosing non-schedule Anytime Dining but we enjoy sharing with others so I am glad to know it's easily done.

Is there any point in making a reservation if you're willing to be seated with others, or is that just for getting your own table? Is there much chance of getting seated with a large table of non-English speakers? What are the experiences of others with sharing at AD?

With ATD the crowds are usually between 5:30 and 6pm. If you show up at say 6:30pm the DR may already be full. If you like to dine late there is normally no waiting since the second Anytime DR opens at 7:30. You have to feel it out the first few days.We normally dine early and from our experience we generally do not use the DR on the first day. The first night is usually a little hectic.Each cruise is different, depending on itinerary and passenger demographic. Now for your question, most maitre'd's will allow a reservation for a table to share. Reservations are for specific times like 5:30, 5:45, 7:30, 7:45. Just call the DINE line. If seating is difficult each evening we do this.

And yes, the non-english thing can happen, but depending on the attitude can work.. We were seated once with 4 americans and 4 folks of asian decent who spoke very little english. But we managed with a lot of hand gestures and pointing, and everyone ended up having a great time that meal (at one point, trying to explain apple pie I literally asked the server for an apple and mimed smashing it and putting rolls on top. They got it!). Now if you are seated with say a family of six who doesn't seem inclined to communicate.. Ask to be reseated and they will accommodate if at all possible.

Honestly, anytime dining is one of the best parts of a cruise for me on Princess. A lot of other lines have so many more two and four tops now and you don't meet people. I'll take the risk of a bad 'date' or two no question.

When you walk in the first thing they will ask you is do you want to share a table. If you say yes, they will show you to the most available table--it may be large or small. If you want a particular size table, if one is available they will take you to it; if not they will give you a pager. I'm not aware of anyone being seated at a large table of non-English speakers. If that should happen simply request another table--I'm sure no one will be offended if the reason for the request is obvious.

We've were seated with a table of women that only spoke Russian. They were really deedling over their menus and we just wanted to eat so we could catch the show. It was uncomfortable but we didn't want to ask to be reseated as we were already going to miss the show.

We asked our waiter if it was possible to not wait for them to order and get our courses .... and he did oblige. It was a very awkward situation ... I don't think they really do any investigation ... they just seat you at a table at nearly the same time as others show up that are willing to share.

We only went to the MDR once and there was a bit of a wait (less than 10 minutes), another couple was behind us and the four of us decided to share while we waited for a table. It worked out fabulously and we had a great time (They were retired and well traveled, we are a newly engaged couple with plans to travel whenever possible- we gained a ton of wisdom before the drinks hit the table).

I was really disappointed with Anytime Dining on my last cruise. I chose it because I was sailing solo and thought it would be easier to ensure I had dining companions (my last 2 cruises solo in Traditional Dining, no one showed up!). So I always asked if I could share a table but they only found others to share with me one time. They were NOT asking people if they cared to share at all. So some people might not have even known that was an option.