Bermuda travel documents

jsny1105

Hi all! First time cruiser here. My fiance and I will be taking a honeymoon cruise on Norwegians Breakaway this year to Bermuda! We are so excited but are unsure of the required docs. I know a passport is recommended for many reasons but if I have a certified copy of my birth certificate as well as a government issued photo id will I be allowed to actually get off the ship in Bermuda or will I be stuck on the ship without a passport? Thanks for the help in advance!!!

Go read the Norwegian website under Booked Passengers, required documentation. If you are a US born citizen your government issued (not hospital issued) BC and Valid Photo ID should be fine. I am assuming your ship is a closed loop cruise starting and ending in the same US Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! I had read that previously but wasn't sure if that info was related to getting off the cruise at the port or simply the required docs to board the cruise at the terminal.

Please go to the website and log into your reservation and read about required documentation. Don't believe a random stranger on the internet, yes a passport is always better (they last 10 yrs) and are taking about 3 weeks to get.

You really should get a passport. For example, if something were to happen to you medically while you were there and you needed to be flown out of Bermuda, a passport would be required to re enter the US- the birth certificate doesn't cut it when arriving back via air even if you are a US citizen. You really put yourself in a bad place by not carrying a passport when traveling abroad.

You really should get a passport. For example, if something were to happen to you medically while you were there and you needed to be flown out of Bermuda, a passport would be required to re enter the US- the birth certificate doesn't cut it when arriving back via air even if you are a US citizen. You really put yourself in a bad place by not carrying a passport when traveling abroad.

that is a good point, thank you!

If you apply and receive your passport before you are married, it will be issued in your maiden name [same as what you are using to book the cruise]. Once married, you can then apply for a name change to the passport, using a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Darcy

First, the risk of something happening in the short time one is there is slight for most people. Second, in the event of an emergency the State Department does have the authority to waive the passport requirements if necessary in an emergency. If something did happen there would be a delay in obtaining the required documentation and the amount of that delay will depend upon the circumstances. Millions of US citizens travel on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport with no issues.

OP, you will be allowed off the ship regardless of what documentation you use to board and you will need a photo ID and your cabin card in order to re-enter the port area.

If you apply and receive your passport before you are married, it will be issued in your maiden name [same as what you are using to book the cruise]. Once married, you can then apply for a name change to the passport, using a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Darcy

That's interesting and something I haven't thought of. Will pass the info along to my future wife...thanks!:)

First, the risk of something happening in the short time one is there is slight for most people. Second, in the event of an emergency the State Department does have the authority to waive the passport requirements if necessary in an emergency. If something did happen there would be a delay in obtaining the required documentation and the amount of that delay will depend upon the circumstances. Millions of US citizens travel on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport with no issues.

OP, you will be allowed off the ship regardless of what documentation you use to board and you will need a photo ID and your cabin card in order to re-enter the port area.

Thank you so much that's very relieving to hear! I know that a passport is the gold standard of traveling and it's my fault I thought of this so late. It was swept under the rug during wedding plan lol. But it's certainly a relief knowing there are options if anything does happen and I won't be stranded in Bermuda on a permanent vacation:')

Darcy

Or maybe not change names at all! (Pretty common practice now, less so when I married in 1989.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Darcy

But it is only free if you do it within a year of the passport issue date. Let it go longer, and you are in for a new passport. EM

Also,take a photo of your passport on your phone. If you should lose your passport it will be much easier to get replaced. I have also heard that if the phone photo is clear enough(no bends) they could scan the copy at customs right off your phone.

Do you a link documenting acceptability of a cell phone copy of a passport? It's not going to have the hologram, magnetic strip or RFID chip. How will the agent stamp your phone.

I agree the cell photo may help getting a replacement passport if you lose the original. Helps if you need your passport number for a phone

JSNY, to answer your question - no, you do not need a passport for a round-trip cruise to Bermuda. The ship will not let you board on Day #1 without the proper documents to get off the ship in Bermuda so that isn't the issue.

Be sure to use your new wife's maiden name when making your reservations as she probably won't have new ID in her married name. The reservation name must match exactly to the ID (birth certificate, drivers license).

Congratulations and enjoy the cruise!

Also be aware that you will need a photo ID as well as cruise card when you return to the ship - they were checking those carefully last month when we were there. A couple,folks got caught out as they failed to bring a photo ID off the ship with them.

Thank you so much for all the help everyone! One more question, when do we get our cruise id cards? When we check in at embarkation or is it different for everyone? Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for being so patient...never cruised before and im clueless and excited!:')

Thank you so much for all the help everyone! One more question, when do we get our cruise id cards? When we check in at embarkation or is it different for everyone? Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for being so patient...never cruised before and im clueless and excited!:')

You get them when you embark. You use them to access your cabin, to pay for everything that you buy onboard and to get on and off the ship.

I have visited it previously, I was confused on it's wording. Thank you again!

If you are taking your to b e husbvand's name, you may wish to bring a copy of your marriage license as a bridging document seeing your name will not match your birth certificate. Wha name was used for your RESEREVATION? Your MAIDEN NAME?

If you are taking your to b e husbvand's name, you may wish to bring a copy of your marriage license as a bridging document seeing your name will not match your birth certificate. Wha name was used for your RESEREVATION? Your MAIDEN NAME?

I'm actually the future husband I should have been more clear in the original post, apologies! We used our separate names for the reservations so her name would match her travel documents.

I'm actually the future husband I should have been more clear in the original post, apologies! We used our separate names for the reservations so her name would match her travel documents.

:) wIill you be taking ing your fiance's name? :)

Congratulations on your upoming marriage and best wishes for every happiness together.