Transportation in Rome

Train. I think it was about 11€ one way. There was a nicer express train but I took the first train I could (which involved changing trains).

Once you arrive at the station in Civitavecchia you can either take a cab, walk about a mile along the water, or take a port shuttle for, I think, 1€ each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Train. I think it was about 11€ one way. There was a nicer express train but I took the first train I could (which involved changing trains).

Once you arrive at the station in Civitavecchia you can either take a cab, walk about a mile along the water, or take a port shuttle for, I think, 1€ each.

How difficult would this be, say with two rolling bags each? Space on the train for the bags? Easy rolling path for the change at Trastevere?

I would never have been able to talk my sister-in-law into going by train because of having to deal with luggage.

We booked a shared transfer for 4 (which actually turned out to be private at no extra cost, since they had no other passengers arriving within the half-hour time window) from Bob's limos and were very happy with the service.

There was a discount for booking a return transfer, which we did, and also an over-55 discount.

http://www.romelimousines.com/transfer-services/174/

How difficult would this be, say with two rolling bags each? Space on the train for the bags? Easy rolling path for the change at Trastevere?

Its easy Bob.

There is a lift at Trastevere and it is well signposted. We have done it a lot. We done it when we got off Jewel Ta and friends were with us. They are on Jewel at the moment and managed good and one has walking difficulties.

Look on the Trenitalia we site and see times against your flight arrival. It takes just over an hour each way

Its easy Bob.

There is a lift at Trastevere and it is well signposted. We have done it a lot. We done it when we got off Jewel Ta and friends were with us. They are on Jewel at the moment and managed good and one has walking difficulties.

Look on the Trenitalia we site and see times against your flight arrival. It takes just over an hour each way

Thanks for the info Alex. We have to make this trip in November.

Bob, we did the train last time we sailed from Civitavecchia in the month of September. My wife hated it, and swore she would not do it again.

There was no place to store your luggage except at the doors to the car. Getting on and off the train was easy because the entrance was level with train platform. Changing trains was easy. We stayed overnight in Civitavecchia so getting to the hotel was a short walk and we took the hotel shuttle to the pier. The big problem came on the way back to Rome.

The walk from the pier with two bags each was longer than we expected, and it was hot. When we got to the station we found out the train to Rome was on the other track. Their was no elevator or crossover. We had to haul our bags down 3 flights of stairs and then back up. Broke the wheels on one suitcase.

The last problem with the train came on the airport trip. The stairs in the car to the airport were only about a foot wide. So I had to haul each suitcase up those stairs one at a time. Since we were running late, I was afraid the doors would close and half our luggage would be left on the platform. :(

The middle parts were OK, but navigating the stations and terminal were very difficult.

Just my two cents.

Bob, we did the train last time we sailed from Civitavecchia in the month of September. My wife hated it, and swore she would not do it again.

There was no place to store your luggage except at the doors to the car. Getting on and off the train was easy because the entrance was level with train platform. Changing trains was easy. We stayed overnight in Civitavecchia so getting to the hotel was a short walk and we took the hotel shuttle to the pier. The big problem came on the way back to Rome.

The walk from the pier with two bags each was longer than we expected, and it was hot. When we got to the station we found out the train to Rome was on the other track. Their was no elevator or crossover. We had to haul our bags down 3 flights of stairs and then back up. Broke the wheels on one suitcase.

The last problem with the train came on the airport trip. The stairs in the car to the airport were only about a foot wide. So I had to haul each suitcase up those stairs one at a time. Since we were running late, I was afraid the doors would close and half our luggage would be left on the platform. :(

The middle parts were OK, but navigating the stations and terminal were very difficult.

Just my two cents.

Thank-you for the detailed info. It sounds like the biggest issues were getting on the train at CV. That should not apply to us as our cruise is a westbound transatlantic, so we only need the transfer from FCO to CV. We have a private transfer booked right now, cost being around 33 Euros per person, so we may just stick with the door to door transfer.

You should get a free shuttle to the ship in the morning. Nice hotel about 100 yds from the station

Good to hear. We were planning to take a day trip into Rome a couple days before ther cruise. Nice to know we can walk to the train station.

Thank-you for the detailed info. It sounds like the biggest issues were getting on the train at CV. That should not apply to us as our cruise is a westbound transatlantic, so we only need the transfer from FCO to CV. We have a private transfer booked right now, cost being around 33 Euros per person, so we may just stick with the door to door transfer.

We are doing the same TA westbound in 2018 on Jewel to San Juan. My DW has already told me to book anything but the train! :halo:

They have now changed the drop off location. The free port bus always dropped off at the port gates at McDonalds but due to security they now drop off at a bus park. However, they do run a free shuttle to the front door of the station.

We arrived on 6th May and it is the same set up last week. Jewel docks in the Celebrity dock on the other side.

Good to hear. We were planning to take a day trip into Rome a couple days before ther cruise. Nice to know we can walk to the train station.

I would suggest spending two nights in Rome, and then travel to CV. It's an hour each way on the train, and I'm not sure when the later trains do that.

BTW, the notes about getting to and from CV via train is accurate to me. Getting there was easy and not problematic with the bags. One thing we would do, for sure, is either find the specific bus to the port or take a taxi. We thought we could walk, but the port where the Rhapsody was ended up being WAY to far. Thankfully, we found a kind port bus driver who took us over to the correct area.

Still- having those two hours to hang our in Rome is worth it, each day. Including being able to see a late show someplace.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44301747&highlight=slept+like+a#post44301747

"I will now mention that if you are not mobile, have large luggage, and just plain do not like "pains in the a$$" when travelling then taking the train to Civitavecchia should not be your #1 choice. You needed to pick up your luggage about 3feet up onto the train which was difficult for many I witnessed. The train cars are not made for luggage, even big luggage needing to be picked up and lifted over your head and onto racks above you.... remember your luggage can be 45-50lbs. And you cannot leave your luggage in the very thin corriders, very difficult to maneuver around others. And we haven't even talked about arriving in Civitavecchia and walking the extra 1/2 mile to the new shuttle bus location (imagine if raining)."

Also note the Civitavecchia Station you have to carry your luggage down stairs and underneath the tracks, and back up stairs to the other side.

New(er) company in Rome, very good prices for private transfer

http://www.movinrome.com/

San Giorgio.

Just noted you're staying in Civitavecchia the night before. The hotel is right by the Civitavecchia station.

Could be just as easy to chance the train with your luggage and struggle the short distance if your bags are large/heavy

Edited by Hoopster95

I hadn't made any decisions before arriving in FCO. If I was too tired, I was going to hire private transport and pay the price. I purchased my train ticket from a tobacco shop near the ticket machines. Went downstairs to catch the train. I just missed it so waited about 20 min. Happened upon a train car with a ramp for the handicapped. Much easier to get my bag on the train. When transferring in Trastavere (sp?) a conductor helped me when I asked him if I was at the right train. In Civitavecchia, I had to go under the tracks, so it was down a staircase and up another one. I did ok but I had a carry on (backpack) and rolling duffle. The train isn't difficult but it's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When ships are in port, there can be several, the trains are very busy from the port to rome, lots of day trippers as well as the end of cruise travellers with bags, we have done it a few times now and getting a seat can be an issue,

You must get your ticket stamped before getting on the train, last year we forgot as the train arrived as soon as we purchased the ticket, on the second leg to the airport, the guard checked our ticket and was threatening to fine us, the train stoped at a station and he gave us the option to get off , then stamp the ticket and get the next train. Which we did, it was only two stops and a few minutes from the airport. The fine is something like €50 each