BEWARE of non Carnival excursion in Mexico!!!

psouthcomb

My daughter came back from the Paradise last week and used her debit card to pay for a excursion not affiliated with Carnival in Mexico. Her bank closed her account due to over $600 in fraudulent charges in 5 different towns in Mexico. Please beware and use cash if you can!!!!

We always use only cash in Mexico and Caribbeans, but we don't buy excursions from cruise lines in most cases. We find proven providers. Usually they offer more variety and better prices.

This is a great post although I still don't recommend cruise line excursions due to the huge mark ups unless in sketchy places. For me, the only sketchy place is Jamaica.

However, cash is king in these transactions. The exception would be the excursions that offer online payment. I've found that many of them only take a small deposit and you finish it out in cash once you arrive.

I use a credit card in Mexico, and world wide all the time. But yet, the only time I had fraud was in the USA. So, I should not use it in the USA? You have protections on a credit card, and fraud can happen anywhere, and anytime. So much that I honestly don't worry about it, my bank will worry for me.

Have to echo the same thing. Always use a credit card. My credit card has had fraudulent charges on it but it's from someone stealing it online or something, was someone in china buying video games. Easy to rectify though and most have fraud protection.

Most the people in the touristy areas don't want to steal your card as they want the business/good online reviews. Your daughter just ran into the 1% chance of a bad person working there and he stole the card, can happen anywhere.

I think it's fine to use non-ship excursions but you have to be smart about it. Research the company before you go. Don't just grab some guy with a car at the dock. I've done a few now and every one of them has had extensive reviews on these boards. Much better to know who you are dealing with.

Sorry this happened to you!

There's no telling if the fraudulent charge was a result of using your card in Mexico.

Scammers can hold on to card numbers and pins for months before finally making a purchase. This is what I was told by my bank.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it's important to do a lot of research if you are going outside Carnival for the Excursions. I was just recently on the Paradise as well and booked our own excursion through a company called Native Choice. We paid in full up front for the excursion and made sure it was a reputable company. I couldn't have been more pleased with our experience. Unfortunately we are at risk of having our info stolen anytime we use our debit/credit cards.

Or use a credit card instead of a debit card. It's much easier to straighten out if the number gets stolen.

Yep. I had my bank account wiped out about 10 years ago with a stolen debit card. I got my money back but since then I use credit cards like debit cards so the money won't come directly out of my account should I have a lost/stolen card.

My daughter did learn her lesson. The bank caught it right away and is issuing a whole new account. The attempted charges were at small amounts at 5 different towns in Mexico. I wish she would have talked to me before she went. I'm going on Magic in September and it will only be cash or credit card. Thanks all for your comments.

We used independent tour companies almost exclusively. But we research them prior to cruising and only use those that have been in business awhile and have excellent reputations here and on Tripadvisor. Never had a problem and we are not in the enormous groups like those that book through the ship. Only time we book with the cruise line is if its an experience we really want and there is no independent option, or if the excursion requires significant travel away from the port.

No reason not to use reputable independent outfits. And whenever you use a debit card on a trip you should always monitor your account statements for several months after you return. Our debit card was skimmed at a trusted ATM machine in Playa and 3 months later charges started appearing from Jalisco. The bank removed all charges and started an investigation on our behalf. You have a responsibility to monitor your statements, but the bank (our bank at least) has some responsibility as well.

Would always recommend using cash (pesos) on a cruise when a credit card is not an option. Debit cards are a way of life when we are living in Mexico and you learn what ATM's you can trust.

And too, if you use a card, be aware of the rates they are charging you. Some are quite high!

Are you referring to the interest rate charged when obtaining funds with a credit card? That is absolutely the worst way to exchange money for sure.

In cruise ports, we use mostly cash, but occasionally a CC. Never a debit card. However, our bank is very, very good about catching potential fraudulent use of debit cards. A long while back, I tried to get cash out of 2 different ATM machines while traveling and they didn't permit it and called my house. Fortunately, DW was at home and able to call me and we got it straighten out. That taught us to never use the debit card when traveling. And we call the bank and notify them we will be out of town just incase we need to use the debit card for any reason. Another time, they called about a suspicious charge DW's card made out of state an hour earlier. We were both home and had not travelled to that state that day. They were able to stop the charges and issue a new card. so depends on the bank.

Actually when traveling we use a debit card to obtain local currencies so we're not carrying a wad of cash on the ship or in our house. And for folks living in Mexico or visiting for months at a time debit cards are indispensable. We, like many travelers, have a separate bank account set-up for travel and have the debit cards linked with that account. That limits our potential for exposure in the event of fraud. And we also use a Charles Schwabb account because they remove all ATM fees from our monthly statements which is a nice feature when using a debit card on a weekly or daily basis. Credit cards give the best rate of return, of course, so we will use that when able, whether on a cruise or living in Mexico. And today's more secure chip cards offer more security for both cards.