Any Dutch or Indonesian Food to be expected on HAL these days?

sandbag7

As someone else mentioned, I have found the best place to get Asian foods of all sorts is on the Lido at lunch where they have had a special Asian food section - theme of at least one dish varies daily (like Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc.) I usually eat on the Lido and always check what this area offers before selecting what I want.

Sandbag,

ANY Sushi you will eat, anywhere in the USA or EU is from previously frozen fish actually. ( unless the restaurant and its chef meets specific and very stringent limitations in some EU areas only) This includes the best restaurants on land.

Thanks; I was surprised to learn this; the sushi I'm able to get in Chicago is very fresh and I always assumed it was from fish purchased daily at the Fish Market; having read further on this I see that is not always sue and that many fish, like Salmon, cannot be served fresh.

As someone else mentioned, I have found the best place to get Asian foods of all sorts is on the Lido at lunch where they have had a special Asian food section - theme of at least one dish varies daily (like Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc.) I usually eat on the Lido and always check what this area offers before selecting what I want.

Yes, the Lido sounds like the place to be, at least for us.

There are about as many versions of Sambal as there are salsas, but they all start with a chili-base - mostly habanero, cayenne, red or green chili peppers, bird's eye peppeters, or lombok. The most common ones (or at least most readily available in the States):

Sambal Oelek - made from a variety of different chilis, usually a pepper like cayenne or habanero. It's basically just ground chilis with little flavor added. You use it to add heat to a dish without impacting the flavor. (It's used more in cooking than as a condiment.) It's hot!

Sambal Bajak - this is probably the most common version of sambal and you can always ask your dining steward to get you some. This is made by frying chili (or another kind of red pepper) in oil, shallot, garlic, terasi (a shrimp paste, made with finely crushed shrimp mixed with salt and then fermented), candlenuts, palm sugar and other condiments. This is dark and rich in flavor. My favorite!

Sambal Terasi - tangy and strong in flavor. Made with red and green peppers, terasi, sugar, salt, lemon or lime juice, and sometimes tomatoes.

Sambal Matah - This one is very flavorful, with finely chopped shallots, chopped bird's eye chili, lemongrass, a dash of lime juice.

Obviously, if you have shellfish allergies, skip the Sambal Bajak and Sambal Terasi. There is sambal in the lido with the condiments; and if you're on a ship with the Tamarind restaurant, they serve 3 different varieties there.

(Couldn't guess I'm a fan, could you ?) :D

There are about as many versions of Sambal as there are salsas, but they all start with a chili-base - mostly habanero, cayenne, red or green chili peppers, bird's eye peppeters, or lombok. The most common ones (or at least most readily available in the States):

Sambal Oelek - made from a variety of different chilis, usually a pepper like cayenne or habanero. It's basically just ground chilis with little flavor added. You use it to add heat to a dish without impacting the flavor. (It's used more in cooking than as a condiment.) It's hot!

Sambal Bajak - this is probably the most common version of sambal and you can always ask your dining steward to get you some. This is made by frying chili (or another kind of red pepper) in oil, shallot, garlic, terasi (a shrimp paste, made with finely crushed shrimp mixed with salt and then fermented), candlenuts, palm sugar and other condiments. This is dark and rich in flavor. My favorite!

Sambal Terasi - tangy and strong in flavor. Made with red and green peppers, terasi, sugar, salt, lemon or lime juice, and sometimes tomatoes.

Sambal Matah - This one is very flavorful, with finely chopped shallots, chopped bird's eye chili, lemongrass, a dash of lime juice.

Obviously, if you have shellfish allergies, skip the Sambal Bajak and Sambal Terasi. There is sambal in the lido with the condiments; and if you're on a ship with the Tamarind restaurant, they serve 3 different varieties there.

(Couldn't guess I'm a fan, could you ?) :D

The sweeter one is my favorite, but I had the names totally mixed up. Thank you for this primer. Bajak for me too.

(Oelek is "not okay")

Just a curious question: What type of food does one usually use one of the Sambal condiments? Or does it make a difference? I have used it on white, steamed rice and one or two other dishes. But, I have wondered if I ought not be more adventuresome and try it on other kinds of foods.

Just a curious question: What type of food does one usually use one of the Sambal condiments? Or does it make a difference? I have used it on white, steamed rice and one or two other dishes. But, I have wondered if I ought not be more adventuresome and try it on other kinds of foods.

DH has it on the dining room table every night to enjoy with his meal.

And usually has some with his lunch too.

He likes some heat with his food ;). No rules in place for when and how you eat it ;)

I've mixed sambal with Mayo too as a spread but also as a sauce (tossed hot shrimp in it, put it on salmon and bake in the oven).

Also, my husband's absolutely favorite salad is thin sliced Cucumber that's been sitting in Vinegar with some Sambal mixed it, we let it sit in the fridge for a bit, and it's really tasty.

And really just mixed with anything for a little spice, I use it in marinades all the time too.

I've mixed sambal with Mayo too as a spread but also as a sauce (tossed hot shrimp in it, put it on salmon and bake in the oven).

Also, my husband's absolutely favorite salad is thin sliced Cucumber that's been sitting in Vinegar with some Sambal mixed it, we let it sit in the fridge for a bit, and it's really tasty.

And really just mixed with anything for a little spice, I use it in marinades all the time too.

Thanks for the Cucumber salad idea! A local independent grocer offers a Thai Cucumber/Onion Salad at their deli counter. Delicious, but the "heat" is very tame. I'll try some Sambal with this when they offer it again. (It's one of their many salads that are on a "rotation schedule" that just drives me nuts! I never know when what I want is available.)

I like the idea of using mayo and sambal on salmon in the oven. I'm always looking for new ways to cook salmon. Thank you.

Sambal is great in a marinade. Here's an easy one that is delicious with chicken -- and best of all, it's grilled so hubby gets to do the cooking :)

To make marinade:

3 cloves garlic

1-1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger

1/4 C fish sauce

1/2 C brown sugar

1/4 C rice wine vinegar

1/8 C vegetable oil

1 Tablespoon Soy sauce

Blend above ingredients until smooth. Stir in 1/3 to 1/2 C sambal (depending on how spicy you like it). Marinate 2 to 2.5 lbs chicken (I like using thighs as they're more flavorful and juicy) overnight. Pour off marinade into small pot and simmer 5-10 minutes until reduced by about half. Use this to baste chicken when grilling.