Howl at the Moon Question

d5conway

Hello fellow cruise fans!

I apologize in advance if my search wasn't thorough enough, but I tried looking and didn't come up with an answer.

I'm taking my first NCL cruise in just over a month on the Epic and couldn't be more excited! I'm a huge Howl at the Moon fan, and was curious if this was a nightly thing, or a special one-night event on a seven-day sailing. I'd just like to be there as often as possible

Thanks for the insight!

Hope this isnt considered thread hijacking but I also have a Howl at the Moon question. Is it 21+ for this show/location? My dd and friend are both 15 yr old musicians and would love to see some of it. The last ship we were on that had it, she was only 10 at that time so I didn't go but we walked into the venue when it was empty and it smelled strongly like cigarettes. I guess smoking is allowed?

No Smoking and the 15 year old can stay until 11pm. That is how it was last week on Breakaway. I know a few parents let their slightly older kids stay but that is at their own discretion. Most of the show after 11pm was not too R rated but there was a lot of swearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hope this isnt considered thread hijacking but I also have a Howl at the Moon question. Is it 21+ for this show/location? My dd and friend are both 15 yr old musicians and would love to see some of it. The last ship we were on that had it, she was only 10 at that time so I didn't go but we walked into the venue when it was empty and it smelled strongly like cigarettes. I guess smoking is allowed?

Your question has been answered, but just to add that the show is absolutely fine early on for kids.

We have taken our son for an hour or so a few times. He is currently 12, but first went when he was about 9. The early part of the show has always been very family friendly.

Obviously it is down to individuals what they expose their children to, but personally I have never seen anything even later on which would concern me too much for a 15 year old, even later in the show. It's really just a few songs about beer and the occasional swear word. The only reason I wouldn't take a 15 year old in later in the show is that I believe it isn't actually allowed and that it may effect the performers if they are concerned about the reaction.

No smoking is allowed in the venue.

• 11 months later...

My experience has been that Headliners alternates between HatM and comedy every other night.

On NYE on Breakaway, a family walked down the center aisle around 11:30 with a double stroller. Some lady looked at them and said, really?! She only said what I was thinking. The dad seemed to take that as a challenge. They sat right up front near the pianos, and dad picked up his daughter (maybe age 3? 4?) and danced with her on stage. It definitely threw off the performers. No one asked them to leave, but the show settled down after that, right in time for midnight. :o

The one time I saw Howl at the Moon on the Epic my wife and I and my sister and her husband found it to be rather boring. Two people playing tunes and begging for tips IMO. After 45 minutes we walked out. Maybe I was spoiled by a land-based dueling pianos show that was a riot and the piano players didn’t need to beg for tips.

I will be on the Epic again in 2020 on an ABC cruise so I plan to check out Howl at the Moon again to see if my previous experience was just an off night.

After 11PM, the show is announced to be "for adults only," but on the Escape last February, this wasn't enforced and there was a ten year old (or so) kid in there every night past 11PM. The first time, the entertainers took note of it and adjusted their material, on subsequent nights, they did not and some of the post 11PM material was pretty edgy. We even walked out one night because the material was very offensive.

Of all the times I've been at HATM on Escape, I've only been to one in which some pretty raunchy comments were made by one of the piano players during the "adult" portion of the show.

This past January the piano players were wonderful. My SIL was invited up on stage to play drums!

Hello fellow cruise fans!

I apologize in advance if my search wasn't thorough enough, but I tried looking and didn't come up with an answer.

I'm taking my first NCL cruise in just over a month on the Epic and couldn't be more excited! I'm a huge Howl at the Moon fan, and was curious if this was a nightly thing, or a special one-night event on a seven-day sailing. I'd just like to be there as often as possible

Thanks for the insight!

HOWL will play at 10pm on the following nights; when you leave Livorno, Palma, Barcelona and Naples. Another CC member just returned and listed the days and times of shows.

The one time I saw Howl at the Moon on the Epic my wife and I and my sister and her husband found it to be rather boring. Two people playing tunes and begging for tips IMO. After 45 minutes we walked out. Maybe I was spoiled by a land-based dueling pianos show that was a riot and the piano players didn’t need to beg for tips.

I will be on the Epic again in 2020 on an ABC cruise so I plan to check out Howl at the Moon again to see if my previous experience was just an off night.

Had an identical experience to you when we were just on the Epic 2 weeks ago. We left after about an hour when the tip begging got annoying. We're also returning in 2020 and hoping for a better experience.

Well we actually enjoy getting silly at Howl :). I actually have a video snippet in my trip review here if you’re interested. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/. We take $10 but honestly you can just sing along. There are enough people there that keep the dollars coming. The room was standing room only over the holidays. It is not every night as they alternate with the comedy club. I think we went three times over the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kids can stay till the end but they turn “adults only” with the humor and language usually around 11 and warn people at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sometimes when kids are present after 11 they won't do some songs/gags and they point out that the kids are the reason. Don't ruin it for everyone.

I guess I've always had a good group that didn't care because even with kids present after 11... The three cruises I've been on they didn't hold back at all. The songs were raunchier, the toasts were raunchier, and the language was raunchier... And they didn't give one rats ass about any kids present. LOL. They gave the verbal warning and then cut loose. ;)

I guess I've always had a good group that didn't care because even with kids present after 11... The three cruises I've been on they didn't hold back at all. The songs were raunchier, the toasts were raunchier, and the language was raunchier... And they didn't give one rats ass about any kids present. LOL. They gave the verbal warning and then cut loose. ;)

I'm glad to hear that!! I had some that def did care and toned it way down.