New to cruising - Film, hand luggage and Xrays?

Hi Folks,

I am departing from Sydney on a Carnival Cruise in October, which is my first cruise. As per my user name, I do a bit of film photography. Can anyone advise whether hand luggage gets zapped at any point in time before getting on the boat? If it does, is it similar to airport security? Can items be hand inspected if needed?

Thanks

Similar to airport scanning. They always used to say that photographic film wouldn't be damaged by going through the X-ray scanner. We used to put ours through (with a bit of trepidation) and never had any damage. I once saw a friends photos of a European trip that had a pink cast (most likely damage from X-rays), but they had gone through many X-ray machines during her trip.

Welcome to Cruise Critic ShootsWithFilm :)

You are the only person I know who still uses film!!

Yes, once you have check in your hand luggage will getX-ray (similar to airport security)

Your film will be fine going thought the x-ray, if you want it hand inspected, you could ask, but don't be surprised if they say it has to go thought X-ray, other wise you wont be able to take it on the ship.

The security they use to do the screening for Carnival in Sydney are very grumpy, just a warning ;) (learn this for past experience).

Hi Folks,

I am departing from Sydney on a Carnival Cruise in October, which is my first cruise. As per my user name, I do a bit of film photography. Can anyone advise whether hand luggage gets zapped at any point in time before getting on the boat? If it does, is it similar to airport security? Can items be hand inspected if needed?

Thanks

Welcome to CC.

Yes they scan it.

Seems to be very low level, never had any problems, back when I shot film exclusively, and it took me a loooong time to move to digital (still use film at time).

Welcome to Cruise Critic ShootsWithFilm :)

You are the only person I know who still uses film!!

You'd be surprised by the number of people who use film. Typically, its people who move away and come back. For me its a hobby (I still have digital cameras) and something that I like doing.

Yes, once you have check in your hand luggage will getX-ray (similar to airport security)

Your film will be fine going thought the x-ray, if you want it hand inspected, you could ask, but don't be surprised if they say it has to go thought X-ray, other wise you wont be able to take it on the ship.

The security they use to do the screening for Carnival in Sydney are very grumpy, just a warning ;) (learn this for past experience).

OK, that's fine. Typically, film is OK up to ISO 800, but its a cumulative thing - I.E., the more Xrays it goes through, the higher chance it will get effected. I tend to ask for a hand inspection if A) I have time and B) the airport staff don't look overly stressed.

Cheers for the responses (& the others as well).

Edited by ShootsWithFilm

You'd be surprised by the number of people who use film. Typically, its people who move away and come back. For me its a hobby (I still have digital cameras) and something that I like doing.

OK, that's fine. Typically, film is OK up to ISO 800, but its a cumulative thing - I.E., the more Xrays it goes through, the higher chance it will get effected. I tend to ask for a hand inspection if A) I have time and B) the airport staff don't look overly stressed.

Cheers for the responses (& the others as well).

I'd say ask for a hand inspection, but expect to be declined.

I seldom shot anything above 24 DIN (200 ASA) leant from a German.

I'd say ask for a hand inspection, but expect to be declined.

I seldom shot anything above 24 DIN (200 ASA) leant from a German.

Oops should have said 200 ISO and I think he was actually Dutch.

Every time you re-board the ship on a port day, they will need to be scanned as well.

Yes - but the OP is not going to take all his stock of film ashore in ports. He will probably just have the roll in the camera and (at most) one spare. From our experience, it takes many exposures to X-rays to cause a problem.

Yes - but the OP is not going to take all his stock of film ashore in ports. He will probably just have the roll in the camera and (at most) one spare. From our experience, it takes many exposures to X-rays to cause a problem.

Just letting the OP know that there are security checks every time they re-board and not just on embarkation day. We don't know exactly how much film is being brought off and back on the ship each port day, if it is only after multiple exposure to the Xray machine they still may find it goes through several times.