Rough or Calm waters on Pride of AMErica Hawaii

we will be cruising first week in September and although there are no sea days what should I expect typicallly cruising the Hawaiin islands. Does the ship rock due the waters or is it generally calm waters in that area of the country?? I tend to get seasick so I want to know what is typical on this ship.thanks!!

Most of the sailing is done at night. And the little that was done during the day was very smooth. Don't worry much, just pack your Bonine just in case!

This happened at night (fortunately) ...

DA_zps6c58d6b5.jpg

DC_zpsf409c756.jpg

DE_zpsa0b956a0.jpg

DG_zpsa98325ba.jpg

CI_zpsde40a128.jpg

CK_zpsa48258f2.jpg

My nieces and sister thought it was rough at night... they have not cruised much. the rocking puts me to sleep plus we were exhausted from touring all day, and I cruise from the north east enough where it's always rough that I cannot say from personal experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes be prepared with seasick meds just in case. We did the POA Hawaiian cruise a few summers ago and it was very rocky sailing around Hilo/Kona. My daughter got seasick that night for the first time. Had to use the scopolamine patch out of desperation and that worked wonders. I didn't think we would need it in Hawaii since we sailed so close to the islands.

I didn't think we would need it in Hawaii since we sailed so close to the islands.

So do those big waves that the surfers ride. The ships are not going to be that close to shore, except perhaps for the Costa Concordia.

I've sailed Hawaii three times (once on NCL, 2x on RCCI). On NCL we sailed in July, on RCCl we sailed both times in November, and on longer cruises. Out of a total of 30 days sailing Hawaii, we only had 1 day/night that was "rough" and even then it was fairly mild to other locations we've been in.

Some of the roughest waters I have ever sailed on have been in the Hawaiian Islands. Granted that those were on small vessels, but on every one of those excursions (6 or 7 total) we have been thrown all over the ship. The POA is large enough that it might not have the same effect, but be cautious if you take in water borne excursions.

we will be cruising first week in September and although there are no sea days what should I expect typically cruising the Hawaiian islands. Does the ship rock due the waters or is it generally calm waters in that area of the country?? I tend to get seasick so I want to know what is typical on this ship.thanks!!

So,,, you are sailing in the middle of Hurricane season (no typhoons in Hawaii, it's Hurricanes). There were multiple POA cruises last year that had to dodge Hurricanes and port closures. That being said, the probability that your specific cruise will be impacted is very small.

And as far as I can tell, this was a cruise out of New Jersey (kinda far from Hawaii).

Yes, it was a cruise out of New Jersey. Go back and read the post I responded to and then read my response.

Yes, it was a cruise out of New Jersey. Go back and read the post I responded to and then read my response.

Not relevant. New Jersey is not near Hawaii and RCCL is not NCL. Two strikes.

The OP was asking about the sea conditions around Hawaii in September. The answer is anything from calm seas to Hurricanes.

Edited by BirdTravels

Not relevant. New Jersey is not near Hawaii and RCCL is not NCL. Two strikes.

The OP was asking about the sea conditions around Hawaii in September. The answer is anything from calm seas to Hurricanes.

1) I was not responding to the OP, I was responding to someone else. Go back and see which one I quoted.

2) Waves are created by wind. The greater the surface area, the more time the wind has to act on the water.

3) There is a lot of surface area between Hawaii and the nearest continents. Thus the big waves that surfers like.

4) The Explorer of the Seas is bigger than the Pride of America. Thus it is able to handle the rough sea better than the POA.

5) If what I pictured can happen to the Explorer OTS, in the Atlantic, it can happen to the Pride of America in Hawaii.