Motion Sickness?

I was on deck 9 fwd balcony on the breakaway and the motion was bad i don't know if it was the rough seas. I brought the wrist bands just in case and both my wife and i used them. We didn't get sick but definitely felt it.

Forward inside cabin deck 9 on Breakaway. Am I going to to be sick or does the Breakaway handle well in rough seas? Got the ear patch but just wondering if I should change to lower floor mid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We have no idea how sensitive you are to motion, so I'm not sure what kind of helpful answers you will get.

If you have a motion sickness problem then you need to be on the lowest deck available and as close to midship as possible. The reality is, though, you will spend more time about the ship than you will in your cabin.

Forward inside cabin deck 9 on Breakaway. Am I going to to be sick or does the Breakaway handle well in rough seas? Got the ear patch but just wondering if I should change to lower floor mid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

With the patch there is little chance of you being sick no matter where you are on the ship.

Unless you have cruised before you have no idea if you will be sick even if you don't use a patch. A lot of people cruise and never even think about getting sea sick even in the roughest seas. Keep in mind that feeling the ship moving does not mean that you will get sea sick. A lot of people love the ride when it is bumpy and he ship is moving on the ocean. If you are happy with your cabin's location then don't change. If you don't like the location then move.

Bonine ( Meclizine) will be your best friend. Once a day ( I start it the day before the cruise to get it in my system) and you will be fine. It has no drowsiness and you can enjoy adult beverages with it.

I hear that you can get blurred vision from the patch and that the bands are hit and miss for folks. Dramamine makes me sleep so Bonine is best for me.

good luck and enjoy the cruise!

Sailing the BA versus say the Gem are 2 different things

Imho BA is noisy and rocky on every deck everywhere ...but I digress and am no fan of the ba....but I was deck 11 furthest aft possible and things were rocking and rolling and engines revving up 24/7. Sea was like glass btw.

On the gem we were far forward deck 8 and didn't feel a thing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Heya! I am one of the most travel sick people in the world.

More than an hour in the car and I feel rough but on a cruise I am pretty much always fine. I wouldn't worry about changing rooms, the breakaway is a big and stable ship. I had no problems with her!

Ive written about my experiences with sea sickness and listed the things I do to prevent it here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/18/do-you-get-seasick-on-a-cruise/

Hope that helps! Please try not to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get motion sick at the drop of a hat, I can't play racing video games because they make me sick. We were just on Breakaway deck 9 aft and I was OK except for the first full sea day. The problem with the bigger ships is the surface area is so large, that when it's windy they have a side to side motion (i.e. moving left/right). Both my ds and I felt it, and took the tablets you can get on the ship. I didn't really feel the up and down motion that I have felt on other ships. The motion on deck 9 was much less than when you were up on deck 14 (pool deck)

Of course everyone's sensitivity is different, so you may feel differently.

Bonine ( Meclizine) will be your best friend. Once a day ( I start it the day before the cruise to get it in my system) and you will be fine. It has no drowsiness and you can enjoy adult beverages with it.

I hear that you can get blurred vision from the patch and that the bands are hit and miss for folks. Dramamine makes me sleep so Bonine is best for me.

good luck and enjoy the cruise!

I have used patches on almost every cruise I have taken. The blurred vision comes from not washing your hands well and then touching your eye. The patch is sticky so if the residue is on your finger and you touch your eye you will have blurry vision. I always put my patch on upon boarding and then wash hands thoroughly. I have never gotten sick when using the patch. I did have a couple of rough cruises that had me laying in bed, but I wasn't sick just couldn't stand the movement and walking around.

Candi

Low and middle has the least amount of motion - usually.

Just a warning - folks will often come on and post the "only" and "best" method to deal with motion sickness. Various methods work for some folks and not for others.

Personally, I take the over the counter generic less drowsy dramamine stuff. Cheap. Easy. Has worked for years.

On the last few, I did do ginger pills and they worked very well on those calmer cruises.

Tried patches once -cure was worse than the problem in the first place. Whatever you decide to use, try it at home on a quiet weekend first. Do not test it at sea.

Again, each person is different. I often can not watch videos of cars, roller coasters, games, etc without getting sick.

We've been on BA in a forward-facing penthouse, an aft-facing balcony, and a midship balcony. Didn't notice that it was rockier or acted "weirder" than any other cruise ship we've been on. If you don't like the mega ships, maybe you just convince yourself that it flops around in the ocean.

I get terrible motion sickness when indoors on a moving vessel. I believe it has to do with not sensing the horizon and my brain not knowing what to do without that sensory input. If I am on a small boat and on deck, no problem--even when it is really rocking.

So, for my cruise last summer, I used the patch--even though it was Alaska and not very rough. For Bermuda this July on the Breakaway I will definitely use the patch again. Thinking about taking the patch off for my few days in Bermuda as I do suffer from dry mouth with it and maybe a touch of dizziness. I do drink alcohol while using the patch--which is probably not recommended. But in moderation--a few drinks per day.

Thinking the Bermuda itinerary will give me a nice break for 2 days in the middle!

For my teen boys: one didn't get motion sick at all in Alaska so I won't give him anything to start off. I may give my younger son a dose of Bonine on the first day as he experience just a touch of motion sickness on the first evening last time.

Honestly I've been sick when forward but our last. Cruise I was fine. Everyone is different. Bring some pills for the just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums