Oosterdam ship behind-the-scenes tour?

ldlewis45

I've done the behind-the-scenes tour on a Carnival ship before, but I've never sailed on a HAL ship before. Since it's my dad's first cruise ever, I think he would be interested in a behind-the-scenes tour on the Oosterdam in August. Does HAL do these tours? If they do, what is the usual per-person cost?

They have offered them on the Oosterdam in the past - we paid $150 per person a few years ago, but it was worth every penny. Absolutely fascinating. You get some cocktails, appetizers and some swag to soften the blow but it will be pricey.

A quick search will get you tons of info.

The Behind the Scenes tour is now split between two days. Half on a sea day, half on a port day, because the public is no longer allowed on the Bridge while the ship is moving..

Do you remember which day of the cruise the tour was on?

Not much help, but it was obviously an at-sea day. But this may not be a regularly scheduled event. Wish I could help you pin it down but you will need to enquire as soon as you get on board - go to the front desk or the cruise director and see what you an learn.

The tour does not include the engine room due to security restrictions. We found the most interesting part was the massive food storage and laundry areas. The busy bees that work silently through the night making it all look so effortless for us in the upper half of the ship.

HAL does do kitchen tours at no cost. Not sure if they do it on all ships. For me $150 is too much for a behind the scene tour, to each their own.

Allan

All HAL ships do them, typically on the first sea day at 10:30 am.

We cruised the Oosterdam to Alaska in May and the Behind the Scenes Tour was $150 pp. I don't remember the time or which day it was offered. There was also a free kitchen tour that was offered on the first sea day (which on our cruise was the first day cruising from Seattle to Juneau) at 10:30 in the morning.

is there any information we can read ahead to know how much of ship is covered or how long tour is ......that would help us know whether or not we could take some of our land excursion money and use it for a unique tour on ship??

what specific areas beside food and laundry does it cover??