Booking question

we are looking to book a Caribbean cruise it will for sure be my husband and I in the room but possibly a 3rd person. Do I book with the 3rd person in the room to lock in on the price and then just drop them later if they end up not being able to go? Is there a penalty if we end up dropping them from the room (ocean view balcony in case that matters). In the past we had booked a room for 2 and then added a 3rd later and because they hd to switch our room to one that sleeps 3 our price went up and I would like for that to not happen again. But didn't know what would happen if that 3rd person ended up backing out before final payment.

we are looking to book a Caribbean cruise it will for sure be my husband and I in the room but possibly a 3rd person. Do I book with the 3rd person in the room to lock in on the price and then just drop them later if they end up not being able to go? Is there a penalty if we end up dropping them from the room (ocean view balcony in case that matters). In the past we had booked a room for 2 and then added a 3rd later and because they hd to switch our room to one that sleeps 3 our price went up and I would like for that to not happen again. But didn't know what would happen if that 3rd person ended up backing out before final payment.

With a cabin for 3 reservation you could drop the third person but you can be told that, even though you have 2 people in a cabin that holds three, Coast Guard regulation will not let anymore than two to that cabin because a formula says the ship has reached capacity. Strange but it has happened to me a few times. So book three and drop 1 later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a cabin for 3 reservation you could drop the third person but you can be told that, even though you have 2 people in a cabin that holds three, Coast Guard regulation will not let anymore than two to that cabin because a formula says the ship has reached capacity. Strange but it has happened to me a few times. So book three and drop 1 later.

Thank you! That's what o was wondering. I appreciate the help

Yes...Book a cabin for the three of you....and just have that 3rd passenger as a

TBD (to be determined) so you won't have to give a name at this point.

We have done that a few times when one of our adult children didn't know

who would be sailing with them in their cabin...We book very far in advance.

Is there a possibility that RCI will move the "two' from a 3 passenger cabin to a ;two passenger cabin, if they need the 3 capacity cabin for some other booking for 3 ?

I think that is a possibility!!

Is there a possibility that RCI will move the "two' from a 3 passenger cabin to a ;two passenger cabin, if they need the 3 capacity cabin for some other booking for 3 ?

Yes, it's possible, but low probability.

Cancellation policies for 3rd and 4th guest are different than those of the 1st and 2nd.

For guests 3 and 4 you can cancel up until 15 days prior to the cruise without any penalty and receive a full refund. I would suggest waiting until close to that time to cancel the 3rd person. If you cancel the 3rd person early you run a greater risk of being moved to a dual occupancy cabin.

I have learnt something new on this thread. I always thought that unless it was a guarantee category, you got the cabin you booked irrespective of capacity.

That seems very odd to me. Have I misunderstood?

I have learnt something new on this thread. I always thought that unless it was a guarantee category, you got the cabin you booked irrespective of capacity.

It used to be that way. Royal is now taking cabin capacity into consideration in what they allow you to book and keep if you make occupancy changes.

This is the first time I have had this happen. I called today to add a 3rd and 4th person to our suite and was told that the Coast Guard will not let me due to the restriction. I had never heard of this. Even though the room capacity says 4 we can't add them on now. This seems very strange. What would happen if a family of 6 with 4 kids under 18? Would they not be able to book since they would need 3 rooms and 1 room would not have and adult in it?

Is there a chance the Coast Guard might lift the restriction later?

This is the first time I have had this happen. I called today to add a 3rd and 4th person to our suite and was told that the Coast Guard will not let me due to the restriction. I had never heard of this. Even though the room capacity says 4 we can't add them on now. This seems very strange. What would happen if a family of 6 with 4 kids under 18? Would they not be able to book since they would need 3 rooms and 1 room would not have and adult in it?

The difference is that you are trying to add them. Each cabin is assigned to a muster station,and a lifeboat. Each lifeboat has a set capacity. "Your" lifeboat is apparently already at capacity.

If enough people in your muster station cancel, then they would be able to add your additional guests.

To answer your specific example, if the cabins are available then you book 3 cabins for 6 people. The restrictions prevent a 3/4 addition to a reservation after the Coast Guard restricted rule goes into effect. Been burned a few times trying to add guests. Usually happens during peak travel time. If fewer people travel in larger groups they restriction does not go into effect and even close to sailing you can add 3/4 to a cabin that will hold them. You can keep calling. It I never heated of it clearing[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]