Vancouver Embarking for the Sun??

CatsinShow

My cruise leaves Monday at 4:00. I'm in the 1:00-1:30 arrival time group. What time should I actually be in Vancouver? I also am just being 1 rolling carry on duffel and 1 backpack so I don't need to "check in" anything. Do they still take the duffel or can I just roll it myself? Aside from the NCL Sun, the other ships will be Crystal Serenity and Disney Wonder. This is also I realize a stupid question but on ships, can you bring liquids and gels over 3.4 ounces and is there a Trusted Traveler line to expedite things? Thanks

My cruise leaves Monday at 4:00. I'm in the 1:00-1:30 arrival time group. What time should I actually be in Vancouver? I also am just being 1 rolling carry on duffel and 1 backpack so I don't need to "check in" anything. Do they still take the duffel or can I just roll it myself? Aside from the NCL Sun, the other ships will be Crystal Serenity and Disney Wonder. This is also I realize a stupid question but on ships, can you bring liquids and gels over 3.4 ounces and is there a Trusted Traveler line to expedite things? Thanks

With that many ships docked at the same time, get to the terminal as early as you possible can. This could be a very rough embarkation- taking a very long time. I would check the duffel with all your liquids in plastic bags on the top layer of your duffel send it through and take your backpack on board with you. You are going to have to clear Canadian Customs before getting into an Embarkation Line. Be prepared for a very long process.

Enjoy your cruise.

There should Latitude levels but nothing like a Trusted Traveler line.

With that many ships docked at the same time, get to the terminal as early as you possible can. This could be a very rough embarkation- taking a very long time. I would check the duffel with all your liquids in plastic bags on the top layer of your duffel send it through and take your backpack on board with you. You are going to have to clear Canadian Customs before getting into an Embarkation Line. Be prepared for a very long process.

Enjoy your cruise.

There should Latitude levels but nothing like a Trusted Traveler line.

So what time should I line up?What is early? Can I take liquids that are more than 3.4 ounces??

My cruise leaves Monday at 4:00. I'm in the 1:00-1:30 arrival time group. What time should I actually be in Vancouver?

The "time to arrive at port" is not currently being enforced. Boarding will start at 11:30 am. You can arrive at any time. We try to get to the port around 10:30 for early boarding and get the vacation started!

I also am just being 1 rolling carry on duffel and 1 backpack so I don't need to "check in" anything. Do they still take the duffel or can I just roll it myself?

If you want to carry all of your own luggage on board, you can. The porters are available to take your luggage from the curb,,, there is no real "check-in" of luggage. Your bags will be transported aboard and the crew will deliver it to your stateroom. Your stateroom will be available around 1:00-1:30. All aboard is at 2 pm. So at 1:30, you will be in the rush of last minute boarders.

Aside from the NCL Sun, the other ships will be Crystal Serenity and Disney Wonder. This is also I realize a stupid question but on ships, can you bring liquids and gels over 3.4 ounces and is there a Trusted Traveler line to expedite things?

You can carry any size liquids aboard (full size sun screen, tooth paste, etc.). NCL does not allow you to carry any beverages onboard. The exception is wine for which you must pay a corkage fee. No water, soda, energy drinks, etc. This is NOT United States TSA. This is Canadian port security (you are in Canada). The security lines are normally not bad. The check-in line will get [very] long because it takes 5-10 minute per group to check in (passport, health questionnaire, picture taking (for security), credit cards for expenses).

Enjoy Alaska! It is one of our favorite cruises.

Enjoy Alaska! It is one of our favorite cruises.

Thank you. So if I get to the port at 1030 you think I can boardat 11:30? I’m not a VIP NCL member or anything fancy.

Okay so with the stateroom thing, I won’t be allowed insideuntil 1-130 so I might as well leave my carry on with them huh? When theydeliver it do you tip them or is it included in the $14 thing?

LOL at it being Canada and not the US. I feel stupid now. You mentioned getting my picture taken. Do I have to wear a tag or something with my picture on it? I hate reminders of my face =(

Thank you. So if I get to the port at 1030 you think I can boardat 11:30? I’m not a VIP NCL member or anything fancy.

Okay so with the stateroom thing, I won’t be allowed insideuntil 1-130 so I might as well leave my carry on with them huh? When theydeliver it do you tip them or is it included in the $14 thing?

LOL at it being Canada and not the US. I feel stupid now. You mentioned getting my picture taken. Do I have to wear a tag or something with my picture on it? I hate reminders of my face =(

I would get to the terminal about 10:30 A.M. By 11:30 you might not be through the boarding process yet. With these many ships and only ONE boarding hall, this could take awhile.

Once you get past the check-in counter and into the hold area, there will be ship photographers to take your picture.

There is no need to tip for your baggage, your room steward or another staff member will deliver it when it arrives on your floor.

The Sun is a wonderful ship with a great staff. Be sure to be outside after you sail. You have to pass under The Lion's Gate Bridge. Sometimes it looks like all the antennas will scraped the bottom of the Bridge, but they will not.

I would get to the terminal about 10:30 A.M. By 11:30 you might not be through the boarding process yet. With these many ships and only ONE boarding hall, this could take awhile.

Once you get past the check-in counter and into the hold area, there will be ship photographers to take your picture.

There is no need to tip for your baggage, your room steward or another staff member will deliver it when it arrives on your floor.

The Sun is a wonderful ship with a great staff. Be sure to be outside after you sail. You have to pass under The Lion's Gate Bridge. Sometimes it looks like all the antennas will scraped the bottom of the Bridge, but they will not.

I may add that wave and shake hands with the crowd on the Lions Gate Bridge deck -

AND then prepare to cover your ears - if the usual sailing regatta is out in force the

Captain is going to have to sound the ships horn impatiently to get the heck out of the

way. Sailing vessels may have right-a-way BUT that means little in the case of

tonnage of collision damage.

Passage under bridges is always exciting !

Thanks guys. A few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Assuming I am somehow able to get on the boat say at 12 or 12:30, what do you do? Just walk around the ship and eat? Are the hot tubs available at this time and if so, are there towels nearby?

2. Does the ship having a vending machine? Like how much would just a can of Diet Coke cost?

3. If I get a drink I know there is an 18% charge. Do you still tip on top of that?

Thanks guys. A few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Assuming I am somehow able to get on the boat say at 12 or 12:30, what do you do? Just walk around the ship and eat? Are the hot tubs available at this time and if so, are there towels nearby?

2. Does the ship having a vending machine? Like how much would just a can of Diet Coke cost?

3. If I get a drink I know there is an 18% charge. Do you still tip on top of that?

Buffet opens at 11:30. Main dining room at noon.

Pool and hot tubs are open. Towel station on pool deck.

No vending machines other than kids arcade. You need to order drinks at the bar. Only Pepsi products on NCL. No Coke. You pay for your drink and they add 18% tip automatically.

Muster (lifeboat drill) is at 3:30. All ship's services close at 3:00 in preparation for muster.

78b1eb3627179953a95c6d34fecbf0a9.jpg

To answer the picture question. There are two types of photos. At check-in your photo is taken for NCL computer system. When you leave and arrive the ships at ports of call, you swipe the card they issue to you and the system shows your photo on a computer screen that the NCL staff use to check that you are the correct person.

There are also no shortage of photographers available to take photos that you can purchase.

1 - Since you are already in Canada, you will not be clearing customs with them. Based on a past cruise, you actually clear U.S. Immigration as you board the ship as the first port is back in the states (or I assume it is).

2 - You can take all the bags you want with you through the boarding process. You may be walking and standing a fair amount, so consider that. We always have a roll aboard, so weight is not an issue for us.

3 - Once you board, there will be some options to eat.

4 - Some people tip the porters that take your bags on the pier... buck or two, but many do not.

5 - No trusted traveler. Not an airport. Scanning is simpler. Liquids are fine - except no beverages as mentioned.

5 - No trusted traveler. Not an airport. Scanning is simpler. Liquids are fine - except no beverages as mentioned.

Trusted Traveler lines do exist at some cruise ports now, including Vancouver. You cannot short-circuit security queue, so it's not as good as at the airport, but you will be expedited through US immigration/customs if you identify yourself as a Global Entry/NEXUS holder (NB: TSA Pre is useless, as there's no TSA...)

If you do have NEXUS you can also use that at YVR to get into Canada (GE only works heading into the US).

If you get there at 10:30 you will be invited to board around 11:30.

Tip the porters at the curb a couple of bucks a bag.

The photo taken at checkin allows ship security to verify your identity each time you leave or return to the ship. You will not have to look at it. Only the security people :)

I brought my Sentri card with me as well just in case.

I'm at the airport right now going to board my flight soon. The TSA line wasn't running today of course...The airport is empty so there was no line, but I had to get all my crap out of my carry ons. To me that's the biggest pain since I stuff as many things as possible in my backpack.

I brought my Sentri card with me as well just in case.

I'm at the airport right now going to board my flight soon. The TSA line wasn't running today of course...The airport is empty so there was no line, but I had to get all my crap out of my carry ons. To me that's the biggest pain since I stuff as many things as possible in my backpack.

SENTRI card should also get you into the expedited CBP line at Canada Place, as well as short security line and again expedited CBP processing at YVR on the way home (if you are returning to Vancouver by ship then flying home again - if it's just the one-way northbound then AK airports should treat you the same as your local ones). Like GE, won't help you get into Canada faster though.

Not worth hauling your bags around, you are on vacation, we tipped porter and our bags were at our room by the time we had lunch. you go through a couple of lines that wrap around so it takes 20 minutes plus to get through. Sodas are expensive on board, we had beverage package, but I know there is a soda package as well if you plan on having more than 2-3 a day may be worth it. Seven seas is open for lunch and the scallops are really good.

Checked in. Got into the harbor at around 10:45. The process was a little confusing but overall it went fast. What's strange is not a single porter got my suitcase when I was in line. Because no one asked me there, I just assumed in the next line that I would go to that they would then get it there since I saw other people nearby had suitcases (these were returning cruisers apparently). When I realized this, a worker said to find a guy in overalls to see what they tell me to do and that someone should have offered earlier to me. A worker verified my room and said he would make sure it gets to the right place. I hope it ends up making it to my room. It's 2:20 right now and I haven't had it delivered but I know it may take to 8PM. I'm very nervous that my stuff may not show up.

I'm working on taking photos for all of you and doing a day to day entry for you all.