Orlando Sanford to Royal Caribbean Terminal in 2 Hours?

Question for anyone who has traveled out of Port Canaveral after flying into Orlando Sanford airport - is it way too risky to make it from the airplane to the RC terminal in two hours?

We have already booked our flights for a Disney World vacation with our 2-year-old son, and had a few days before our Disney trip where we planned to just explore the Space Coast area - until I found a 3 Day Bahamas cruise leaving out the day we arrive. The problem is, our flight is scheduled to land at 1 p.m. at Orlando Sanford, and we have to be at the terminal at 3 p.m. for a 4 p.m. departure.

Is this possible / reasonable? I have friends in the area, so we may be able ot have someone waiting with a car, so we could get off the airplane, get our luggage, and be on our way pretty quickly, barring anything unforeseen.

I can't really move the flight since our small airport serves the small Sanford airport only two days a week - Mondays and Fridays.

Has anyone made the trip straight from the smaller Sanford airport directly to the port, and if so, how long did it take you with "real world" factors? Thank you!

I don't believe that you will have enough time to make the ship by arriving at Sanford at 1PM. Additionally, if you are flying on Allegiant, they are usually late or end up canceling flights.

I have had friends delayed for several hours on flights to Sanford on Allegiant. They are also known to cancel flights and since they don't have agreements with other airlines, as far as I know, if they are delayed or cancel, you can't just get on another airlines flight unless you pay the last minute high bucks rate.

Hopefully, you are flying another airline, but still it is cutting things too close.

Bummer! We were leaning towards not taking the chance, and it sounds like that's probably the prudent decision.

We are flying Allegiant, fingers crossed. We've flown to Sanford three times as well as two other destinations via Allegiant and never had a problem, so hopefully that trend continues.

No way would I try that, you need to be checked in at the port, not just arriving. What airline are you flying, Allegiant? I would check the on time stats for your flight, my family members who have used them have stopped since the flights are frequently late.

Seems very risky. I wouldn't chance it. I don't think I read where your flying from but keep in mind hurricane season is approaching which could cause delays with weather conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question for anyone who has traveled out of Port Canaveral after flying into Orlando Sanford airport - is it way too risky to make it from the airplane to the RC terminal in two hours?

We have already booked our flights for a Disney World vacation with our 2-year-old son, and had a few days before our Disney trip where we planned to just explore the Space Coast area - until I found a 3 Day Bahamas cruise leaving out the day we arrive. The problem is, our flight is scheduled to land at 1 p.m. at Orlando Sanford, and we have to be at the terminal at 3 p.m. for a 4 p.m. departure.

Is this possible / reasonable? I have friends in the area, so we may be able ot have someone waiting with a car, so we could get off the airplane, get our luggage, and be on our way pretty quickly, barring anything unforeseen.

I can't really move the flight since our small airport serves the small Sanford airport only two days a week - Mondays and Fridays.

Has anyone made the trip straight from the smaller Sanford airport directly to the port, and if so, how long did it take you with "real world" factors? Thank you!

Personally I would not chance doing your timetable. If everything went according to schedule you would still have an issue with getting out of the airport in 30 minutes leaving no wiggle room to get to the ship before 3:30. I have seen people pull up to the pier with no time left. But unless you can live with missing the ship and that part of you vacation I'd make other plans[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enough time for my stress level. It may be 1:30pm before you get your bags, and the trip is probably 1:15 hours with good traffic.

Bob,

What airline did you fly when you flew into Sanford?

You stated "we have to be at the terminal at 3 p.m. for a 4 p.m. departure." According to the Royal Caribbean website:

Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail.

So it sounds like you have to be at the port at 2:30 p.m.

Bob,

What airline did you fly when you flew into Sanford?

I've not flown into Sanford. We fly into Orlando (MCO) which is around a 45 minute drive from the port, with many more flight options than Sanford.

Unless you are only carrying on bags, and normally are a lucky person, I would not try it. In fact, most times I would not even leave on the same day. If you do, it should be on the first flight of the day so hopefully the airplane has already arrived the night before and won't be delayed coming in (of course, if it arrives late the night before and they use the same crew, it could be delayed due to FAA crew rest regs.)

The best bet, especially if you bought their flex flight insurance, is to change to either a flight the night before going somewhere else in Fla, and driving there, or the first flight out into another Florida city, giving yourself a few extra hours to drive there above the google maps estimate, assuming you can drop the car and then get a ride to the pier.

Of course, if the cruise fare becomes so cheap that you are willing to simply lose the fare, go for it!

We have flown Alegiant into Sanford about a half dozen times. I would never book it that close on time. The biggest issue for me would be if the flight was cancelled something that definitely can occur with Alegiant, then I have to be able to make my cruise with a 1200 mile drive prior. Which is a two day trip unless you are a professional driving team...:eek:l

A few years ago we booked Alegiant for a Friday flight and a Sunday cruise. Weather in January was very iffy, and I was thinking OMG, I am going to have to drive to Florida with the first several hours in a snowstorm. The flight occurred although a little late, and we got to Orlando late Friday night, shopped Saturday at the outlets, met friends at Port Canveral on Saturday night and sailed out Sunday evening. That said I was very worried Friday morning.

Alegiant is cheap and mostly great, but there is no back up. If they cancel your flight you don't leave for two to four days, which means the $200 a person you saved flying them, cost you a $1000 plus per person cruise... or a lot more if you booked a suite, etc. A friend of mine booked a long weekend in St Pete, Alegiant cancelled and they literally lost their long weekend and their deposit on a condo... Can't recommend the gamble for a cruise unless you have time for the drive back up plan. 2 hours. NO WAY!!!!

JC