Passports for shore excursions

cucullus

Agreed. However, as the Irish OP and we Britons have mentioned, our passports are generally our photo ID. We often don't have another official document that has a photo. There are even differences with British driving licences, depending on when they were issued - older ones don't have a photo, more recent ones do.

So different. In Canada one cannot (normally) get a passport without secondary photo ID. And I know of no one who would routinely carry their passport unless out of the country. Most commonly photo ID is a driver's license. Here, for those w/o a driver's license (we renew every five years so those pre-picture days are long gone) the goverment offers different forms of general photo ID. Helpful especially for seniors, and young(er) folk who have fewer ID choices.

We take our DL for photo I.D. plus a photo copy of passport page

where taking your real passport ashore is not required ( yes I know I cannot fly home with a photo copy)

When we do take our passport after we show the officials it goes into a hidden money pouch (not one you hang on your neck)

We do exactly the same. Though I have recently changed to the neck pouch from a money belt. Too much digging around in public :}

Agreed. However, as the Irish OP and we Britons have mentioned, our passports are generally our photo ID. We often don't have another official document that has a photo. There are even differences with British driving licences, depending on when they were issued - older ones don't have a photo, more recent ones do.

Regional differences

We have photos on our DL & health cards here

Some that do not drive can get a government issued photo I.D.

Maybe the UK have something other than passports or do you carry them around with you on a day to day basis ??

I've always been curious: What happens if you miss the ship, and your passport is on board? I've read, though have no idea if it's true for any or all cruise lines, that cruise line employees go in your room safe before sailing to see if you have a passport there. If so, they give it to the port agent to hold. Does anyone know if that's true? Also, without a passport, how easy or hard is it to travel in most countries to reach the next port? In Europe, for example, if you want to travel by train or plane, do you need to show a passport? Photo ID? I realize the answer to these questions may depend on where in the world or in Europe you may be, but if anyone has any general information I'd be interested in hearing it.

Regional differences

We have photos on our DL & health cards here

Some that do not drive can get a government issued photo I.D.

Maybe the UK have something other than passports or do you carry them around with you on a day to day basis ??

No we don't have ID cards and neither to we carry our passports round with us. While on a cruise the passport is in the safe unless we are specifically asked to carry it off the ship. We do have a photocopy of the photo page in case it is required. DL has a photo on it. J

No we don't have ID cards and neither to we carry our passports round with us. While on a cruise the passport is in the safe unless we are specifically asked to carry it off the ship. We do have a photocopy of the photo page in case it is required. DL has a photo on it. J

As I said Regional differences

Seems HARTERS does not have DL with a photo on it as posted above

We only take our passports ashore if required

Agree.

Here in US we also have a passport card. It's just like a driver's license in size and format with your photo but it's not identical to the passport number. Losing it is not a big deal and it's even less complicating than losing a driver's license and definitely less important than losing a passport. It doesn't need to be replaced unless one wants to.

For us it's the easiest and safest ID card.

I just reread the information from the US Department of State on what to do in case of stolen or lost passport or PASSPORT CARD, Absolutely identical for passport and passport card. Both must be reported immediately . There is a strong warning that DL, passport and passport card are all highly valuable on the underground market and often lead to identity theft in less than 24 hours. As great as technology is , it also leads to massive problems. Even on closed -loop US cruises (leave from US port and return to US port) you need to carry passport or passport card. It is not just ID it is the right to return to the United States. I have seen some folks with the "wrong documentation" trying to "argue" with officials. It does not usually seem to turn out well. Even babies must have their own ID. My Jo-Jo filed for her passport at 6 weeks of age -- the photo doesn't help much now that she is 2 1/2. If traveling with children, you must know the rules and carry the proper documentation -- officials very aware of kidnapping and parent custody problems. For me and mine. Everybody has and carries (or Mommy carries) their own passport. Even in US I often pop the passport and another credit card and some cash in the neck stash and tuck it in my shirt. Purse snatched once too often -- want it on the body.

:p

B,

You are correct in that the loss of a passport card must be reported.

What I meant is that if the card is lost or stolen, I do not have the same urgency or need to replace it like I have with a passport or a DL. In fact, I may or may not replace it (but will report its loss) - hence it is the one I would mind losing least.

Britons are not required to carry identification of any sort in the UK and I never routinely do so, not even a credit card unless I'm planning to buy something

In Europe, for example, if you want to travel by train or plane, do you need to show a passport? Photo ID? I realize the answer to these questions may depend on where in the world or in Europe you may be, but if anyone has any general information I'd be interested in hearing it.

My only experience is from several years back. We'd flown to Paris for the weekend and our passports, flight tickets and cash were pickpocketed. There was obviously no opportunity to get replacement passports so we just turned up at the airport and presented the police report of the theft to the airline check-in staff. In due course, a manager issued a further document which got us through immigration and security, with an assurance that immigration if the UK would be notified of our situation. We had no problem travelling or reentering the UK.

As a general issue, for European Union citizens, you need official photo ID to fly - either passport or national identity card. Residents of countries within the Schengen Agreement have, I understand, free movement between those countries without needing ID, so would be able to travel by train across borders. For those countries outside Schengen, like the UK, passports or identity cards need to be presented at our border. Unusually, if I travel to France by the ferry (as I do most years), I pass through French immigration whilst still in the UK. Comtinuing my journey into Belgium, as I usually do, I drive down the road where the old border posts used to be, but they are no longer staffed. On my return, I find the UK's Border Agency officers at the French port.

Edited by Harters

Britons are not required to carry identification of any sort in the UK and I never routinely do so, not even a credit card unless I'm planning to buy something

Personal choice I guess

I always carry my DL for I.D.

just in case I should fall & become unconscious or get hit by a bus at least they will know who I am & who to contact

Just a silly habit of mine :)

YMMV

Personal choice I guess

I always carry my DL for I.D.

just in case I should fall & become unconscious or get hit by a bus at least they will know who I am & who to contact

Just a silly habit of mine :)

YMMV

...that and clean underwear :D :D