Quick question if you can help

Hi all

Got a cruise booked for next year and wanted to ask a question

When you dock and leave the ship to do whatever ur excursion or beach etc when you return obviously need a sea pass but do u need photo ID as well

Only reason I ask is as me and other people in our group have driving licence which we use but one hasn't got any photo Id so do they need to take passport

Bit concerned about them taking their passport in case it gets lost

Do photocopy work?

Hi all

When you dock and leave the ship to do whatever ur excursion or beach etc when you return obviously need a sea pass but do u need photo ID as well

Only reason I ask is as me and other people in our group have driving licence which we use but one hasn't got any photo Id so do they need to take passport

Do photocopy work?

In my experience RC state on their daily cruise compass for a lot of ports mainly Italian that you need to take photo id when you get off the ship.

My experience also that the photo id was never asked for.

I carry a photocopy of our passport photos and details with us when that request is made in the Cruise Planner.

If you are going to St Petersburg in Russia on your cruise you definitely need your passport.

It depends on the port. Most don't ask for anything other than your seapass card but there are some that want photo ID. Nassau is one that comes to mind.

You're not sailing until next year, lots of time to get proper photo ID.

Not to stir up a separate debate but there are many that use their passports ashore as ID.

As long as it official gov ID it can be anything, which even in the UK where we can't get a DMV ID card without actually passing a driving test leaves a few options other than a passport. Having said that despite RCI saying on the compass you need picture ID at every port there are very few when it is essential.

Having said that despite RCI saying on the compass you need picture ID at every port there are very few when it is essential.

But there are some and I've even been to a few repeat ports where one time security only looks for sea pass card and the next time asks for picture ID (Cozumel comes to mind).

A passport will be sufficient, if not better than a photo ID. If for some reason, you get stopped by authority, your state issued ID will be scrutinized and may need verification, but a passport is recognizable all over the world.

Here's my rationale. Would you recognize a Puebla driver's license as valid if you see one? Probably not. That's a State in Mexico and they issue driver's license the same way as we do, by state. Flash that in NYC, and a cop is going to scratch his head. Show a passport, and you would recognize it as such.

On all my cruises, it is explained that if you leave the ship, you need to have some sort of photo ID. My kids had school IDs which was enough to get them back on the ship. All the dock security needs is to marry the name to your pass to your id and that's it. (think what would happen if someone stole your s&S card and walked onto the ship as you?)

As long as it official gov ID it can be anything, which even in the UK where we can't get a DMV ID card without actually passing a driving test leaves a few options other than a passport. Having said that despite RCI saying on the compass you need picture ID at every port there are very few when it is essential.

My point exactly on post#2.

But there are some and I've even been to a few repeat ports where one time security only looks for sea pass card and the next time asks for picture ID (Cozumel comes to mind).

In US and Carribean it is a bit hit and miss but in Europe in my experience being Diamond+ we are never required to show passports even when it says it in the cruise compass.

The op was from the UK like myself so likely sailing in Europe.

In two of our ports on our last curise they also asked to see our IDs. This was in Jamaica and Cozumel. Very quick look and they seemed to be just going through the motions.. The guys that did this seemed to be law enforcement of some type.

In US and Carribean it is a bit hit and miss but in Europe in my experience being Diamond+ we are never required to show passports even when it says it in the cruise compass.

The op was from the UK like myself so likely sailing in Europe.

Yet another D+ perk :rolleyes:

Hi all

Do photocopy work?

Yes you do need Photo ID for immigration purposes, a passport is the best option in case something happens and you need to be hospitalized or flown home. However, you may not need them getting on and off the ship.

Photocopies do work, and I would keep the photocopy with me at all times. You can leave the original on the ship so it doesn't get lost. It's better to have it and not need it than to need a passport and not have it.

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app