Electric kettle confiscated?

suebee53

I don't care about rule-breakers when their rule-breaking doesn't affect me- wear what you want to the MDR on Elegant night, I'll still enjoy my lobster! But when breaking the rules puts my and others' lives in danger (fire hazard) I say no.

You are not supposed to bring any electric heating appliances of any kind onto the ship. Fires on ships are terrible events!!!!

On a separate but funny note, a friend of mine took one of those battery-operated LED candles on her cruise to light up her interior cabin at night... she accidentally left it on when she left in the morning and her steward confiscated it and left her a nasty note explaining that candles are forbidden... she asked him how he blew out the flame!!!

I wonder if something like this would work? It really wouldn't be any more dangerous than taking a curling iron or hair straightener.

https://www.amazon.com/Ovente-Instant-Electric-Immersion-Liquid/dp/B01NGYP1SG/ref=lp_3737031_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1503886512&sr=1-5

It's not allowed as it has a heating element in it. You can get hot water plenty of places as already mentioned. Go to tea time or the dining room. That water will burn the roof of your mouth faster than pizza out of an oven.

I wonder if something like this would work? It really wouldn't be any more dangerous than taking a curling iron or hair straightener.

https://www.amazon.com/Ovente-Instant-Electric-Immersion-Liquid/dp/B01NGYP1SG/ref=lp_3737031_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1503886512&sr=1-5

Unlike a hair dryer or curling iron (which are only allowed because the cruise lines don't want to put up with the uproar if they were banned), this has a very open heat contact surface, and does not have any overheat protection, so if plugged in when not submerged in liquid, or when the unattended liquid boils off, the element will continue to heat until either it burns out or something it is against melts or catches fire. See the warnings on the page linked. These things cause fires all the time.

It not about a curling iron...it's about current draw and "heating" appliances draw more current than the fragile electrical system can accommodate. The biggest fear of any cruise ship is fire. Don't create a disaster to fulfil your selfish needs.

It not about a curling iron...it's about current draw and "heating" appliances draw more current than the fragile electrical system can accommodate. The biggest fear of any cruise ship is fire. Don't create a disaster to fulfil your selfish needs.

Ship's electrical systems are not "fragile", they are actually more protected than systems in your home. Current draw is limited by circuit breakers, and the fact that the circuits onboard pop more frequently means that there is less chance of a fire from overcurrent. And, the immersion heater linked draws about 1/3 of what a hair dryer draws, so the risk of fire from current is way less than the risk from direct contact with a hot surface.