NCL Travel Insurance vs AMEX Travel Insurance

nolegirl01

Has anyone had any personal experience with using either? NCL's travel insurance is so expensive! NCL for us would be about $800 for 2 people vs AMEX $490 for 2 people. Amex will cover flights, hotels and cruise while I'm not sure if NCL's will cover only the cruise. Husband is in the military so I just want to cover my bases in case something happens and he gets deployed all of a sudden, but just not sure which would be better! Any tips?

I personally go Amex even if NCL is cheaper. I know whenever I have a problem with my credit card AMEX takes care of us.

For example, I was moving a TV from one room to another and it hit something and the LCD panel got cracked. I had purchased it on my AMEX card so I called them and after filling out an online form and a couple of days we got a credit for what we paid for the TV.

Has anyone had any personal experience with using either? NCL's travel insurance is so expensive! NCL for us would be about $800 for 2 people vs AMEX $490 for 2 people. Amex will cover flights, hotels and cruise while I'm not sure if NCL's will cover only the cruise. Husband is in the military so I just want to cover my bases in case something happens and he gets deployed all of a sudden, but just not sure which would be better! Any tips?

CruiseCritic's travel insurance subforum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

We also suggest you call Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They can discuss quite a variety (and costs) of policies for you.

We use them, get policies from Travel Insured, and TI *pays* the claims without nonsense.

That matters.

Don't go by the cost of the policy, go by the amounts of coverage and exactly what each policy covers.

Double check the cancellation coverage on each to see if cancelling for work/deployment is covered.

Thanks everyone for the tips! Amex was offering almost the same as NCL and theirs covered deployments. I just like how they can insure my entire trip not just the cruise.

I'll check USAA as well as someone mentioned. I did call them once and their insurance didn't really cover too much but I will try again and see if I can talk to someone who can give me more info but I think for now I might be leaning more towards amex.

Don't go by the cost of the policy, go by the amounts of coverage and exactly what each policy covers......

VERY VALID.

And, before you buy insurance, make it very clear to yourself what you are trying to cover.

As to paying $800 vs $490 because they are a better company... that is really throwing money away.

Coverage is a much bigger factor. Personally, we do not buy travel insurance for cancel or trip interruption unless dirt cheap. We often buy medical and evacuation.

Some of the more basic stuff is covered with certain travel cards.

Go to insuremytrip.com to get some price quotes.

1. Cruise line insurance:

CONS: Usually more expensive. Usually less coverages. Conflict of interest if you have a claim because its against them/cruise line.

PROS: Can usually buy right up to cruising time with cancellation coverages. Cancellation may be in the form of a cruise credit (not a refund). Will insure older & high risk travelers.

2. Credit cards

WIDE range of differences in your credit card coverage but generally limited versus travel insurance providers. Credit cards generaly outsource the servicing (emergency) and claims. This info may help:

https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/travel-resources/why-credit-cards-not-good-for-travel-insurance.html

3. Travel insurance providers:

PROS: its their core business. You will be working with the travel insurance company for a claim directly so buy directly to establish your records with. Alot of different options on coverages & pricing.

CONS: May not let you buy cancellation up to cruise departure. Look for fine print on pre existing conditions. This helped us: https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

CONS: Usually more expensive. Usually less coverages. Conflict of interest if you have a claim because its against them/cruise line.

PROS: Can usually buy right up to cruising time with cancellation coverages. Cancellation may be in the form of a cruise credit (not a refund). Will insure older & high risk travelers.

2. Credit cards

WIDE range of differences in your credit card coverage but generally limited versus travel insurance providers. Credit cards generaly outsource the servicing (emergency) and claims. This info may help:

https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/travel-resources/why-credit-cards-not-good-for-travel-insurance.html

PROS: its their core business. You will be working with the travel insurance company for a claim directly so buy directly to establish your records with. Alot of different options on coverages & pricing.

CONS: May not let you buy cancellation up to cruise departure. Look for fine print on pre existing conditions. This helped us: https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

Very helpful thank you!

Good summary - saved me from posting it. I generally avoid #1 for the reason noted, namely potential conflict of interest (even with a 3rd party provider they are serving 2 masters)

2. Credit cards

As to paying $800 vs $490 because they are a better company... that is really throwing money away.

Coverage is a much bigger factor. Personally, we do not buy travel insurance for cancel or trip interruption unless dirt cheap. We often buy medical and evacuation.

So AMEX was both cheaper AND had better coverages than NCL. $490 included trip cancellation, interruption, and delay. It also included lost or late baggage. Plus it included the evac and medical. And because we booked the entire trip with our AMEX card we got death/dismemberment coverage, which hopefully no one ever needs.

Color me downright stupid. When I read the post about AMEX vs NCL, I read it backwards. The poster actually indicated that AMEX was less money, for better coverage.

So sorry.

By the way, it still seemed a little high, but I am not sure of the actual coverage. Insuremytrip.com gives some great comparisons.

At the $800, it is almost foolish to buy insurance. Especially for those that buy it in case they miss the ship, cancel last minute or worried about travel delays. Just my personal opinion, keeping in mind that the insurance company always wins this bet.

So AMEX was both cheaper AND had better coverages than NCL. $490 included trip cancellation, interruption, and delay. It also included lost or late baggage. Plus it included the evac and medical. And because we booked the entire trip with our AMEX card we got death/dismemberment coverage, which hopefully no one ever needs.

Yeah we booked our entire trip with Amex as well that's why it was the more obvious choice and also I agree they were offering a bit more in terms of coverage.

Color me downright stupid. When I read the post about AMEX vs NCL, I read it backwards. The poster actually indicated that AMEX was less money, for better coverage.

So sorry.

By the way, it still seemed a little high, but I am not sure of the actual coverage. Insuremytrip.com gives some great comparisons.

At the $800, it is almost foolish to buy insurance. Especially for those that buy it in case they miss the ship, cancel last minute or worried about travel delays. Just my personal opinion, keeping in mind that the insurance company always wins this bet.

Insurance is intended to cover the "unexpected". So yes, it's a bet with house odds. Most travelers will never cash-in on their insurance policy. But the ONE time they need to, it can be a lifesaver (unless it's life insurance, in which case.... )

Stephen