$300 future cruise discount from CC

BuckeyeMan

Here is the story. I took out a new Celebrity CC. One of the "benefits" was if you charge $5000, which I did, in the first two months you would receive a reward of a $300 future cruise discount. I received the letter in the mail stating I had received the discount. I called the 800 number on the paper and all the information was taken down and was told it would apply to my CC as a credit. One week later I had not seen the discount. I callled back and was told I would have to work through my TA for the discount. I fear they will not be receptive to giving me the discount.

Has anyone else received the runaround on this future cruise discount? Any help with this issue? I hate to lose $300.

I Am not sure the reason for the 'fear', will you explain further? Is it because your TA has given you a special fare for which the T & C's indicates 'No other discounts cannot or will not be applied'?

If that is NOT the case, then you need to call your TA and let them know about the discount. They may have to jump through hoops to get it applied, if you have already booked, but quite possibly not.

Instead of bantering it around here, your first order of business, in my opine, would be to call the TA and get this going, then post about the experience, easy or difficult.

bon voyage

I Am not sure the reason for the 'fear', will you explain further? Is it because your TA has given you a special fare for which the T & C's indicates 'No other discounts cannot or will not be applied'?

If that is NOT the case, then you need to call your TA and let them know about the discount. They may have to jump through hoops to get it applied, if you have already booked, but quite possibly not.

Instead of bantering it around here, your first order of business, in my opine, would be to call the TA and get this going, then post about the experience, easy or difficult.

bon voyage

Yes, I did receive a good deal with my TA, hence the reason I booked with them. I will definitely take it up with them Monday. It looks like my best option in the future is to book with Celebrity, have the discount applied and then try to transfer after obtaining the discount.

I just thought others might have experienced this issue and could share their results. Monday I will email my TA but with the deal I received from them I am not expecting much more. I will definitely report back on my dealings with the TA.

Anyone have any experience with the CC and this benefit on how it might work for them? If it came across as "bantering" my apologies.

Thanks in advance for any information for anyone who has experienced.

To my understanding, the key words are "future cruise discount". Many current specials include the language that the fares are NOT combinable with other discounts. Just think of the shareholder credit which cannot be applied to the 1-2-3 or Go Better, etc.

You should call your TA or the number on the credit card. They should be able to clarify.

If you go to the Terms of the credit card, there is information that lists exclusions.

Edited by keesar

Yes, I did receive a good deal with my TA, hence the reason I booked with them. I will definitely take it up with them Monday. It looks like my best option in the future is to book with Celebrity, have the discount applied and then try to transfer after obtaining the discount.

I just thought others might have experienced this issue and could share their results. Monday I will email my TA but with the deal I received from them I am not expecting much more. I will definitely report back on my dealings with the TA.

Anyone have any experience with the CC and this benefit on how it might work for them? If it came across as "bantering" my apologies.

Thanks in advance for any information for anyone who has experienced.

B - in no way was 'bantering', as used by me, meant as a negative. Just to be clear.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

It's the BOA credit card, right? There are two ways the benefit operates. One is as a credit on your credit card statement. This is most commonly done when you have already paid in full. The second way is as a reduction in the price of the cruise.

The second option might result in a couple of issues with a TA, one of which might be a reduction in the commission.

For that reason I always want the first option. Sometimes it does take a couple of weeks for this to show in the credit card statement.

I would say that you should start. Y going back to the credit card company. They should be able to see if the order to put the credit on your bill has been processed, if it has, sit tight for a few more days.

Asking for it to be a reduction in the price of the cruise if the other option is in progress might just gum up the works.

Once you begin accruing points there will be another option. You can redeem points for a reduction in the price of the cruise, you can redeem them for a credit on your credit card, and you can also redeem them for on-board credit.

The signup bonus probably doesn't come with the OBC option, but you can always ask if that appeals to you.

$300 discount on a future cruise of at least 7 nights or more in a Concierge Class stateroom, after making at least $5,000 in transactions within your first 60 days*

This promotion appears to be for a discount---not OBC or credit.

$300 discount on a future cruise of at least 7 nights or more in a Concierge Class stateroom, after making at least $5,000 in transactions within your first 60 days*

This promotion appears to be for a discount---not OBC or credit.

Thanks. That is what I was after. I have booked a CC stateroom and was hoping to handle through the credit card company. Doesn't look like that is going to be the case. I guess I just try to use the future credit on my next cruise.

Thanks for your information.

bon voyage

I think Bo1953 (as always) has given you level headed advice. Call your TA a see what happens. Most of the large online TAs will do what they can to keep their customers happy, and have done enough business with the cruise lines that the cruise lines want to keep the TAs happy.

Although it's not the same thing, here is a similar scenario. Twice I have gotten a credit card travel gift card for X from points accrued on a credit card rewards program (not a X credit card). I called my TA, and emailed a photo of the front and back of the gift card and gotten it deducted from the final payment total for a previously booked cruise although the card said new bookings. Good luck.