Main Dining Rooms

No. I'm saying that the type of people who care about what others wear at dinner would be better off going with a higher end cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't understand the mindset. Are you saying only higher end cruise lines should care about rules and lower end mass market lines shouldn't? So you are saying that even tho it's in the rules no gym shorts, hats, tank tops in the MDR, it's ok to ignore that? How about smoking on the balcony. If I don't like that rule, can I ignore that? Should only higher end cruise lines enforce no smoking rules? [emoji848]

We enjoy dressing up for dinner no matter what anyone else is doing...we probably eat in MDR 4x on a 7 day cruise...it just depends on the day, how long we are in port and what is on the menu....we stay flexible!!!!

I don't understand the mindset. Are you saying only higher end cruise lines should care about rules and lower end mass market lines shouldn't? So you are saying that even tho it's in the rules no gym shorts, hats, tank tops in the MDR, it's ok to ignore that? How about smoking on the balcony. If I don't like that rule, can I ignore that? Should only higher end cruise lines enforce no smoking rules? [emoji848]

This is about the dress code in the MDR. I'm saying if this is something that bothers someone enough to not eat in the MDR, they might be happier on a higher end cruise line. Or, they can continue complaining about it. there are people who would rather complain, so to each their own.

The way Carnival is policing this is working. Boats are full. People are having a good time in the MDR. No reason for them to change what they are doing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't really care what other people wear, don't wear on the dining room. Same goes for land based restaurants. I'm there to enjoy the company and who I am with, as well as enjoy my meal. What other people are dressed in doesn't affect my experience. I think it's sad we live in such a society where we feel it's our job to judge others for their attire. Dress how you want, go and enjoy the people you're with and quit sweating the small stuff.

I assume you're referring to those who want to wear flip flops and such in the MDR and do so because they want to get their way. But what you describe seems to also apply to people here. Whining and beating the drum of negativity because they occasionally see flip flops or a T-shirt in the MDR. Looks to me like it applies to both sides.

Actually no, your assumption is incorrect. I am saying rules are rules. If those rules are not to be enforced, do away with them. I am saying that those that want to scoff at the rules and act contrary to those rules often act offended when corrected or denied service.

We dress for elegant nights but don't care what others wear. I worry about no one but myself.

Ditto. I love dressing up and am really looking forward to wearing the new dress and heels I bought for two elegant nights. I honestly don't notice that much what others are wearing around me, as long as my family is what I consider well dressed according to the protocol for each evening. I do notice if someone is unclean looking or smelling, or if something is hanging out that shouldn't be, but otherwise they can do their thing and I can do mine.

If there was a separate dining room for people that wanted to be more dressed up, I would be all over that. And we will probably eat in MDR for each of the 6 evenings of our cruise, unless my kids want to go elsewhere with Club O2 friends, in which case it would be my husband and I in MDR.

Actually no, your assumption is incorrect. I am saying rules are rules. If those rules are not to be enforced, do away with them. I am saying that those that want to scoff at the rules and act contrary to those rules often act offended when corrected or denied service.
Who sets the dress code? Carnival. Who allows that line to be blurred? Carnival. If people want to see the dress code strictly enforced, they should take it up with Carnival instead of blaming a person in flip flops or a T-shirt for ruining their meal.

If rules state formal and no shorts tee shirts that should be adhered to. Rules are there first everyone. Cunard would not allow you into dinner without jacket. If you don't stick to the rules go elsewhere for your cruise and not ruin the evening for the people wishing to dress smartly. Too much sloppiness these days is all to usual and seems to be the way of the world. It's a shame.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

You pretty much choose your level of formality when you choose your c ruise line. Carnival usually attracts a more casual clientele.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

What if you hadn't been on a Carnival cruise or these board to learn how people ignore the rules. What if you read the dress code and went "I'm good with that..." but then you board. You dress nicely with a collared shirt and slacks but your tablemates or other near by show up in shorts, tank tops and flip flops, wearing sweaty baseball caps. I've seen it. I have had to look at a man's gross arm pit hair and gnarly feet as I ate my dinner. Did I chose that????

Yet another example of why the rules should be followed. Contrary to what many think, the world does not revolve around them. And the world would be a much better place if they put common manners, respect and decency toward others before themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You pretty much choose your level of formality when you choose your c ruise line. Carnival usually attracts a more casual clientele.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Casual is fine....it's the trailer park look that is bothersome in the dining room....Again, the look is fine, just take it and your appetite to the Lido Deck for dinner

What if you hadn't been on a Carnival cruise or these board to learn how people ignore the rules. What if you read the dress code and went "I'm good with that..." but then you board. You dress nicely with a collared shirt and slacks but your tablemates or other near by show up in shorts, tank tops and flip flops, wearing sweaty baseball caps. I've seen it. I have had to look at a man's gross arm pit hair and gnarly feet as I ate my dinner. Did I chose that????

Yet another example of why the rules should be followed. Contrary to what many think, the world does not revolve around them. And the world would be a much better place if they put common manners, respect and decency toward others before themselves

Kind of what I said on my other post. To be honest, I am the one who goes to the Maitre'd and ask him to enforce the rules or point out someone dressed inappropriately. You would be surprised how fast the Maitre'd took action. This was a Elegant night and these guys came in with their wives, in shorts and T shirts. When the Maitre'd asked them to put on slacks and a proper shirt. The wives both said, I told you so.

Between this thread and the flip flops thread, this topic has gotten way out of hand. People who don't adhere to the MDR dress code to the letter only make up a small handful of diners. Thousands upon thousands of people dress in accordance with the rules, yet you choose to attack and berate the few who don't. The fact of the matter is, these people are only hurting your dining experience in the MDR,because YOU let them.

If rules state formal and no shorts tee shirts that should be adhered to. Rules are there first everyone. Cunard would not allow you into dinner without jacket. If you don't stick to the rules go elsewhere for your cruise and not ruin the evening for the people wishing to dress smartly. Too much sloppiness these days is all to usual and seems to be the way of the world. It's a shame.
I'll say it again. Who sets the dress code? Carnival. Who allows that line to be blurred? Carnival. If people want to see the dress code strictly enforced, they should take it up with Carnival instead of blaming a person in flip flops or a T-shirt for ruining their meal. In other words, a relatively small number of passengers might not be following the dress code to a tee, but it's Carnival who lets it slide. If they choose to continue to allow their own rules to be broken, there's very little anyone can do about it. The best course of action to try to change this is to complain to the company. I think many here are being very childish in regards to how they're speaking about others.

I have had to look at a man's gross arm pit hair and gnarly feet as I ate my dinner. Did I chose that????

Yet another example of why the rules should be followed. Contrary to what many think, the world does not revolve around them. And the world would be a much better place if they put common manners, respect and decency toward others before themselves.

Seriously, you're going to sit there with a straight face and tell us you had to look at a man's feet while you ate? I'm going to repeat what someone else told you in the flip flop thread. Your exaggerations dilute your argument. No, the world does not revolve around the people who wear flip flops or a T-shirt into the MDR. But an important lesson for you, and for everyone here who's berating anyone who doesn't follow the dress code to a tee, is that the world doesn't revolve around you either.

I agree to many people who think rules are made for others and not them. Sloppiness all to common these days and I for one would be complaining if they were sitting at our MDR table! We should not have to put up with the few who do not follow these rules. Get them out of dining room!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

We are going on our first ever cruise Saturday with my In-Laws. Based on what I have read and what they have told me (they are a little old fashioned) I have packed Dockers and polo's for regular nights (we are ATD) and a button down shirt for elegant night for my husband. I am taking dresses to wear every night.

If I see that on regular nights most men are wearing jeans or dress shorts then I will know for future cruises. Besides, I love to get dressed up so I am looking forward to it.