Main Dining Rooms

I have noticed a huge decline in MDR attendance over the years.

I personally like to get dressed up for dinner, but I have a feeling most Carnival cruisers would rather keep things "casual".

Maybe they should allow us to choose a "formal" or "casual" dining room when we book the cruise.

I am curious what other cruisers think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I personally like to get dressed up for dinner, but I have a feeling most Carnival cruisers would rather keep things "casual".

Maybe they should allow us to choose a "formal" or "casual" dining room when we book the cruise.

Sounds accommodating!

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

That problem that I see is people like me ... I like to be "dressed up" some evenings and casual on others, depending on what I've done during the day. If I were to choose the formal DR, then I would be relegated to the buffet for those evenings that I want to be more casual and I, personally, do not care for the buffet.

I'm fine with the dress code they have - just enforce it! No flip flops means just that and includes such things as slides that many people recognize as "shower shoes" - throwing socks on and putting a brand label or swoosh does dress them up! No baseball caps - dirty or brand new - they belong outside, poolside with the flip flops. And no jeans on elegant evenings - I don't care how dark or how much money you paid for them - put on a pair of dockers and a button up shirt.

This slippery slope of non enforcement and people trying to bend the rules to suit their needs has got to stop. I am afraid if we went to a casual dining room people would come to dinner in their swimsuits, robes or PJs. But the idea has merit in theory....

We are very informal people who live in a very informal city.

We do not find it difficult to dress appropriately for the MDR on any night.

I am not aware of any really serious dress code??

It is not different than what we would wear at home to any restaurant.

What is the issue??

We are very informal people who live in a very informal city.

We do not find it difficult to dress appropriately for the MDR on any night.

I am not aware of any really serious dress code??

It is not different than what we would wear at home to any restaurant.

What is the issue??

I totally agree - and if someone chooses to be more casual than what little is requested for the MDR there is the Lido Buffet with pretty much the same menu.

It's just my hope that what little dressing up (khakis and a polo-shirt are acceptable for men for elegant night) folks might be doing ... maybe it will prompt them to hop in the shower to hose off the day's sweat???

Just to be accurate the Lido Buffet on Carnival does NOT have the same menu as the MDR at all!

There are a very few things from the menu that are there.

BTW DH does not own khakis and has worn black jeans on some cruises even on "elegant night" but now has found light weight blue slacks to wear instead.

The only time I have seen someone turned away on elegant night was an older man wearing shorts and a t shirt. There is very little expected on Carnival in terms of dress so I don't see why anyone would have a real problem finding something to wear.

I totally agree - and if someone chooses to be more casual than what little is requested for the MDR there is the Lido Buffet with pretty much the same menu.

It's just my hope that what little dressing up (khakis and a polo-shirt are acceptable for men for elegant night) folks might be doing ... maybe it will prompt them to hop in the shower to hose off the day's sweat???

Actually, if you read the dress code, a polo does not comply for elegant evening - rather it says dress shirt. And if you read below, you will see that polo is sited for casual evenings thus confirming that a dress shirt is not a polo and references a long sleeve button down designed to accommodate a tie (though the latter isn't required).

The dress code is as follows:

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

And even with the above, it is not difficult to comply. Just because you can do something (i.e. Get away with it) doesn't mean you should.....

I always dress in my work clothes slacks and a blouse I only wear flat sandals with buckles to dinner I don't do the heals but maybe a wedge heel. DH wears khakis or black slacks with a polo shirt and formal nights he wears a long sleeve button down. It would be interesting to see if it could be done. I don't think there will be many people in the "dressed up" dining room.

I'm a pretty casual person when it comes to clothing. I love my T-shirts and ball caps. I do like to get dressed up on occasion...the odd wedding or a nice night out, but it's not something I want to do regularly. Last year's cruise was our first and I had preconceived ideas of the MDR and didn't think I'd be eating there. If I just want to go get some supper, I don't want to have to always get dressed up for it. Not every night. So I said ahead of time I wouldn't be eating in the MDR but maybe once. Once we got there and I started scoping out some of the typical attire that evening, I was surprised to see it wasn't as fancy as I had imagined. My nice shirts (sometimes button-up, sometimes a polo style), khaki pants or khaki shorts, and loafers were perfectly acceptable and even dressier than some. We ate there that first night and I loved the food, so even though I said I wasn't going to, I ended up eating in the MDR every night except elegant night. I didn't even bring clothes for an elegant night. Yeah, I saw the occasional T-shirt and/or ball cap in the MDR, but why let that bother you so much? I would notice it then turn back to my table, enjoy the company I was with and the great meals we had.

For us, our lack of use of the MDR had nothing to do with dress code. We were booked for early dining which, most nights, turned out to be too early after being out in the sun all day. The later time, according to some in my party, was too late (which is why we booked early dining). We only ate in the MDR twice on our recent trip.

Sometimes people just eat at the buffet because it is much quicker and they can see all the evening entertainment. I know that was an issue with us. We had a child in the teen program who wanted to be done by 7 every night. We had ATD and didn't want to go really early to accommodate her. It ended up that she just skipped dessert and went (she is dairy and gluten free, so skipping dessert is commonplace for her).

I don't think it is at all difficult to dress to Carnival's dining room dress code. I brought on a skirt and several slacks and that was all I needed besides a few nice dress shirts. In the past, my husband has worn a tuxedo and I've worn a ball gown. We haven't done that in years. Interestingly enough, my daughters all want to dress in formal gowns for elegant night (they are 21, 19 and 17). So we let them, and we go just looking "nice."

I'm fine with the dress code they have - just enforce it! No flip flops means just that and includes such things as slides that many people recognize as "shower shoes" - throwing socks on and putting a brand label or swoosh does dress them up! No baseball caps - dirty or brand new - they belong outside, poolside with the flip flops. And no jeans on elegant evenings - I don't care how dark or how much money you paid for them - put on a pair of dockers and a button up shirt.

This slippery slope of non enforcement and people trying to bend the rules to suit their needs has got to stop. I am afraid if we went to a casual dining room people would come to dinner in their swimsuits, robes or PJs. But the idea has merit in theory....

I think that it is funny that people equate spending more on a brand makes something more "dressy".

Another corollary is that money doesn't buy class.

OP, you assume people avoid the MDR only because of dress. Many now eat in the specialty restaurants or the buffet for dinner due to the decline in food quality in the MDR as much for any other reason.

I disagree with this statement. First of all, other than breakfast, as we have no other choice, we never eat at the buffet. If I want to serve myself with a tray, I would go back to school. We are in the service industry and go on cruises to be served. The MDR is much better than the buffet. We love the specialty restaurants. On a weeks cruise we do the Steakhouse twice and the Chef's Table once.

I disagree with this statement. First of all, other than breakfast, as we have no other choice, we never eat at the buffet. If I want to serve myself with a tray, I would go back to school. We are in the service industry and go on cruises to be served. The MDR is much better than the buffet. We love the specialty restaurants. On a weeks cruise we do the Steakhouse twice and the Chef's Table once.

:')

I think that it is funny that people equate spending more on a brand makes something more "dressy".

That should have been does NOT dress them up....stupid iPhone....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I disagree with this statement. First of all Carnival discontinued the use of trays 6 years ago. I never said I eat dinner in the buffet or that I prefer the buffet to the MDR. I said people do it.

FYI, on port days the MDR is open for breakfast and on sea days the MDR is open for brunch where breakfast items are served. You do have a choice at breakfast.

So you eat 3 dinners outside the MDR on what is presumably a 7 night cruise. Eating outside of the MDR for dinner as often as you do only serves to prove the OP's point that less people now eat in the MDR for dinner on the basis of nights dined in the MDR overall.

Edited by sanmarcosman

My cruise experience started in 1976 with a trip on the Mardi Gras for a seven-night up to the Glory earlier this year. We passed two hundred days at sea in January.

The dining room has been in a decline of both dress and attendance for more than a decade with some variables.

The shorter and warmer weather vacations usually mean more casual dress where seven night trips when school is not out has usually found more in a jacket, jacket and tie and a tux or two.

My cynical side says it’s not the length, date or anything other than a direct link to the passenger evaluation and review post-cruise.

It starts with the first night talk about “exceeding your expectations” to minimal enforcement of dress guidelines. No maître D is going to risk a lesser passenger rating by irritating a guest about attire. Once that kicked in then the enforcement went away and shorts were permitted.

My rationale continues to erode to a point about Carnival and other mass market cruise lines that focus on new cruisers versus retention of the more experienced traveler. Go read the boards on Royal Caribbean about the access restrictions to Diamond Plus lounges being changed once again, they are shaking in their Hush Puppies.

Carnival knows Blue and Red Cards spend more money than the veteran cruiser, there is no way they want to turn them off booking again by pushing for dress guidelines being enforced.

I've never noticed a decline in MDR attendance on any of our cruises, even though they are limited in number. We normally do breakfast at the Lido (usually the omelet station, yum) and then for lunch it's more of a snack than a big meal, again from Lido (or Guy's on our upcoming cruise). We have never eaten in the buffet for dinner and the only way I could see us doing that is a late return from shore so that we miss our early seating time.

For us, our lack of use of the MDR had nothing to do with dress code. We were booked for early dining which, most nights, turned out to be too early after being out in the sun all day. The later time, according to some in my party, was too late (which is why we booked early dining). We only ate in the MDR twice on our recent trip.
Did you know that you can choose Your Time Dining for you and people in your group? It allows you to eat anytime between 5:45-9:00. That way you can adjust your meal time if something comes up.

OP, you assume people avoid the MDR only because of dress. Many now eat in the specialty restaurants or the buffet for dinner due to the decline in food quality in the MDR as much for any other reason.
Are there any factual statistics to base this claim on? Sure, it's repeated on CC ad nauseam by what amounts to basically the same people over & over, but a relatively small handful of cruisers on an internet forum does not make up a proper sampling. We loved the food there and I see just as many, or maybe even more, on this forum who agree. Or, at the very least, they enjoy it enough to continue to eat there. Truth is, neither you nor I know why people choose not to eat in the MDR on any given night.

All the insults in this thread alone based on nothing more than an article of clothing someone wears and you think those wearing brand names are the ones without class?