Main Dining Rooms

All the insults in this thread alone based on nothing more than an article of clothing someone wears and you think those wearing brand names are the ones without class?

They aren't meant to be insults. I just don't think this is dressy. Spending a lot of money on something doesn't make it dressy/classy. It just doesn't. I mean, in what world are these dressy or classy at all? This is just common sense here, not insults. Please don't misinterpret my intent.

b0198b644bfb4e6d4e1800a78fd6b6a6--white-nikes-nike-socks.jpg

Edited by CruisingUS

I disagree with this statement. First of all Carnival discontinued the use of trays 6 years ago. I never said I eat dinner in the buffet or that I prefer the buffet to the MDR. I said people do it.

FYI, on port days the MDR is open for breakfast and on sea days the MDR is open for brunch where breakfast items are served. You do have a choice at breakfast.

So you eat 3 dinners outside the MDR on what is presumably a 7 night cruise. Eating outside of the MDR for dinner as often as you do only serves to prove the OP's point that less people now eat in the MDR for dinner on the basis of nights dined in the MDR overall.

We agree to disagree. Sea days we love the brunch. On port days we do not get up before 9, so we always miss the MDR breakfast. We go to the omelet station and get real eggs over medium or scrambled. Sorry, but we find the Lido buffet uncomfortable. Some people are slobs, pile their plate to the top instead of making a second trip, it's way too loud, scrambling to sit at a dirty table, again, it's just not our cup of tea. Don't slam me, it's just our opinion.

We agree to disagree. Sea days we love the brunch. On port days we do not get up before 9, so we always miss the MDR breakfast. We go to the omelet station and get real eggs over medium or scrambled. Sorry, but we find the Lido buffet uncomfortable. Some people are slobs, pile their plate to the top instead of making a second trip, it's way too loud, scrambling to sit at a dirty table, again, it's just not our cup of tea. Don't slam me, it's just our opinion.

I don't mind people being slobs. Doesn't faze me. It's the food in the buffet that isn't good.

And I agree...I will always get fresh eggs...not that stuff that comes in a box that they put out....

Interesting topic, many opinions. Just got off the Dream where we noticed a total lack of dress code enforcement in the MDR. We discussed it at length and I did not even think about the rating reviews a cruiser might issue after being made to follow the rules. In this day and age, many will whine and beat the drum of negativity if they don't get their way. More than the lack of enforcement in the MDR, we saw men in line, serving themselves from the buffet, without a shirt, on two separate occasions. I wonder if people who may have found a hair in their food then blamed the Carnival staff.

My cruise experience started in 1976 with a trip on the Mardi Gras for a seven-night up to the Glory earlier this year. We passed two hundred days at sea in January.

The dining room has been in a decline of both dress and attendance for more than a decade with some variables.

The shorter and warmer weather vacations usually mean more casual dress where seven night trips when school is not out has usually found more in a jacket, jacket and tie and a tux or two.

My cynical side says it’s not the length, date or anything other than a direct link to the passenger evaluation and review post-cruise.

It starts with the first night talk about “exceeding your expectations” to minimal enforcement of dress guidelines. No maître D is going to risk a lesser passenger rating by irritating a guest about attire. Once that kicked in then the enforcement went away and shorts were permitted.

My rationale continues to erode to a point about Carnival and other mass market cruise lines that focus on new cruisers versus retention of the more experienced traveler. Go read the boards on Royal Caribbean about the access restrictions to Diamond Plus lounges being changed once again, they are shaking in their Hush Puppies.

Carnival knows Blue and Red Cards spend more money than the veteran cruiser, there is no way they want to turn them off booking again by pushing for dress guidelines being enforced.

Maybe those that care should make remarks in the post cruise survey to the effect that expectations were not exceeded because the dress code wasn't enforced.

We have been eating dinner on Lido for our last 7-8 cruises, and it seems to be more folks doing the same. It is getting crowded up there. We choose Lido for a 20-30 meal vs a 90 minute meal in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are there really people who don't eat in the MDR because of how other people dress? If so, they might want to try another cruise line.

Just so I get your meaning...."Other" cruise lines should be expected to enforce their MDR dress code, but Carnival shouldn't? [emoji848]

They aren't meant to be insults. I just don't think this is dressy. Spending a lot of money on something doesn't make it dressy/classy. It just doesn't. I mean, in what world are these dressy or classy at all? This is just common sense here, not insults. Please don't misinterpret my intent

I don't mind people being slobs. Doesn't faze me. It's the food in the buffet that isn't good.
My mistake. There's another thread just like this one and several people who are supposedly defending the dress code have chosen to do so by insulting the ones who wear a few items of clothing they disapprove of. To me, attitudes like that are much worse than someone wearing a pair of slip-on sandals in the MDR.

What I don't understand is someone who doesn't mind people being slobs in the buffet, but do mind slip-on sandals in the MDR. Really, if a person is being a slob in your line of sight in the buffet, that's no big deal, but if someone somewhere has those sandals on in the MDR, that bothers you?

In this day and age, many will whine and beat the drum of negativity if they don't get their way.
I assume you're referring to those who want to wear flip flops and such in the MDR and do so because they want to get their way. But what you describe seems to also apply to people here. Whining and beating the drum of negativity because they occasionally see flip flops or a T-shirt in the MDR. Looks to me like it applies to both sides.

On my last cruise I only ate in MDR a few nights. My reason was they assigned my seating at 8:30, way too late. I was able to change to anytime, but then there's a wait. Last cruise celebrity, next one carnival and I got late seating again. 8:30 is way too late for me to sit down for dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My mistake. There's another thread just like this one and several people who are supposedly defending the dress code have chosen to do so by insulting the ones who wear a few items of clothing they disapprove of. To me, attitudes like that are much worse than someone wearing a pair of slip-on sandals in the MDR.

What I don't understand is someone who doesn't mind people being slobs in the buffet, but do mind slip-on sandals in the MDR. Really, if a person is being a slob in your line of sight in the buffet, that's no big deal, but if someone somewhere has those sandals on in the MDR, that bothers you?

I assume you're referring to those who want to wear flip flops and such in the MDR and do so because they want to get their way. But what you describe seems to also apply to people here. Whining and beating the drum of negativity because they occasionally see flip flops or a T-shirt in the MDR. Looks to me like it applies to both sides.

There are different expectations in the buffet vs the MDR.

Buffet - I expect choas. I completely expect to see kids running around with kids yelling. There are no rules against eating like a pig and shoveling food into their mouths. It's their cruise and it would be wrong of me to criticize how they shovel food in their mouth in what is akin to the cafeteria.

MDR - I simply expect more in this setting. Not much more. But sandals w/ socks are a YUGE social no no on land and is a sign of slovenliness to me, even if you paid $50 for them. It obviously doesn't mean that to others. Simply taking the socks off would be better than those sandals and socks above. It is just a pet peeve of mine that hits a nerve.

With that being said, it doesn't affect my dining experiences. What you are wearing doesn't impact me....unless you are wearing a urine soaked rag that I can smell.

I also don't mind men wearing flip flops to the dining room. These are acceptable. If you wore them with a dark pair of jeans and a shirt, it's fine with me. This look is not classy either, but it is a YUGE step up from sandals and socks...As you can see, I am very lax too. But socks and sandals are were I draw the line.

rainbows-1024x528.jpg

7300852-1-black?$XXL$&wid=513&fit=constrain

I have noticed a huge decline in MDR attendance over the years.

I personally like to get dressed up for dinner, but I have a feeling most Carnival cruisers would rather keep things "casual".

Maybe they should allow us to choose a "formal" or "casual" dining room when we book the cruise.

I am curious what other cruisers think.

Really. I have noticed just the opposite happening. I rarely see open tables even on elegant nights.

We dress for elegant nights but don't care what others wear. I worry about no one but myself.

I'm fine with the dress code they have - just enforce it! No flip flops means just that and includes such things as slides that many people recognize as "shower shoes" - throwing socks on and putting a brand label or swoosh does dress them up! No baseball caps - dirty or brand new - they belong outside, poolside with the flip flops. And no jeans on elegant evenings - I don't care how dark or how much money you paid for them - put on a pair of dockers and a button up shirt.

This slippery slope of non enforcement and people trying to bend the rules to suit their needs has got to stop. I am afraid if we went to a casual dining room people would come to dinner in their swimsuits, robes or PJs. But the idea has merit in theory....

Yes this!!^^. Enforce the rules! I wear a hat nearly all times when I'm not at work. If we go out to eat I almost always have a hat on unless going to a fine restaurant, because it's inappropriate. Guess what? I don't wear a hat in the MDR! Why? Because it's the policy! Follow the rules, if you don't like them, eat in the buffet. I saw several people last cruise in basketball shorts, tshirts in MDR, tacky to say the least. I have no problem with that attire, that's what I usually wear, but I dress for the occasion when going out or on a cruise in MDR.

Yes this!!^^. Enforce the rules! I wear a hat nearly all times when I'm not at work. If we go out to eat I almost always have a hat on unless going to a fine restaurant, because it's inappropriate. Guess what? I don't wear a hat in the MDR! Why? Because it's the policy! Follow the rules, if you don't like them, eat in the buffet. I saw several people last cruise in basketball shorts, tshirts in MDR, tacky to say the least. I have no problem with that attire, that's what I usually wear, but I dress for the occasion when going out or on a cruise in MDR.

Hats don't bother me. They aren't appropriate but live and let live.

How do you feel about hats if they have cancer or some disfiguring disease?

Hats don't bother me. They aren't appropriate but live and let live.

How do you feel about hats if they have cancer or some disfiguring disease?

Well it would probably be a wrap or a Shaw, etc, not just a baseball cap, and that would be at discretion of cruise line and special exemption would be appropriate.

Just so I get your meaning...."Other" cruise lines should be expected to enforce their MDR dress code, but Carnival shouldn't? [emoji848]

No. I'm saying that the type of people who care about what others wear at dinner would be better off going with a higher end cruise line.

Well it would probably be a wrap or a Shaw, etc, not just a baseball cap, and that would be at discretion of cruise line and special exemption would be appropriate.

I think a baseball cap would be appropriate if they wanted to wear it.

It breaks my heart when I see kids who have completed chemo wearing baseball hats. :loudcry: I would allow baseball caps too.

I also think dew rags and turbines can be worn in the MDR under all circumstances.

We choose not to eat in the MDR not because of the dress code, but because we don't want to spend 2 hours out of our day eating. I can do that at home. I would rather spend my time on a cruise sitting in the sun, playing trivia, listening to the live music, staring at the water or going to a show. If you enjoy going to the MDR that is great, but not everyone enjoys it.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Forums mobile app

I also think dew rags and turbines can be worn in the MDR under all circumstances.

Turbines being worn as head gear in the MDR is where even Carnival must draw a line in the sand. No turbines, ever!

9HA-Gas-Turbine-Cut-away_test.jpeg