First Cruise- Carnival Pride July 23rd

Hi everyone!!

I will be leaving July 23rd on my very first cruise! We will be on Carnival Pride and heading to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport. Does anyone have any tips or must do things in the ports?

We already booked an excursion for Freeport.

Well...HMC is the private island...a "free" beach day! Lunch is provided by the ship, loungers are everywhere, and you can have a great beach day! They will also give you ample opportunities to spend more money, but you do not have to spend a penny to have a great day there!

Your other ports....check the 'Port of Call" forums, or grab a guidebook from your local library to see what there is in each place that might interest you!

We've done a snorkel excursion and a dolphin encounter in Freeport. Freeport is an industrial port and while they have built up the port area with Senor Frogs and straw market type shops you still have to ride for about 30 minutes to get into town proper. Have never been to the other two ports. If you have Cheers be aware that it will not work on HMC and the same may hold true for Bottomless Bubbles.

Grand Turk is a 'created for cruise ships' port. there is a shopping area right off the pier. Free beaches to the right and left, a Margaritaville which has a huge free form pool (free) with cabanas you can rent. Beach is nice but not as nice as Half Moon Cay. EM

HMC is a beach day on one of the most gorgeous beaches. No excursion necessary.

GT is a snorkeling and beach combing stop. Either with an excursion, or going on your own. Turn right at the end of the pier, and head down about halfway to the point. Snorkeling from there to around the point is good. Fish, urchins, starfish. We hung out with a huge Ray for over half an hour there last time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Baltimore is a wonderful port to sail from! Lots to see along the way as you sail away. The best is going under the Key Bridge, about 40 minutes or so after you depart. Stand up on a top deck, not too far forward, and you will swear the ship is going to hit the bridge.

Have a wonderful cruise. Bet you will become addicted.

We did our Pride cruise as kinda a no frills thing TBH so can't help much with excursions...

Grand Turk if you go to the end of the pier and turn right and keep walking along the beach you will come to what is known as the conch graveyard. There are a ton of shells around and you might be able to find some nice ones. Grand Turk is REALLY rocky! If you plan on spending time on a beach there, I suggest getting a good pair of sports sandals or water socks before you go.

HMC is just amazing. Like was said though, drink packages do not work there so be prepared for some extra charges, especially in the morning before the buffet is set up. You can rent things like floats and stuff for a decent amount ($10 per float and such) you can also rent clam shells for chairs there if you don't want to be in full sun. While they have their buffet... for us we couldn't do it. We went almost 3 hours after it opened, and people were still in there wall to wall, can't move an inch. We took the tender back for lunch instead. On that note, HMC is a tender port, while it is amazing and IMO the best place on that itinerary, don't 100% count on going there so you don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out. We said in 2015 on the Pride, but at that time according to CC account, HMC is about a 50-60% shot of actually making it.

Freeport I can't give advise but you said you already got that covered.

I want to note about the Pride itself. Please please please do not miss the Blue Iguana Cantina for lunch and breakfast! Being on ships with it and w/o it, to me, it is a breaking point on a Carnival cruise if it doesn't have one. Now in all honestly is isn't much of a step up from your Moe's of Chipoltle in terms of quality, but we are also people who if I could eat Moe's everyday, I would be a very fat and happy girl! On that note, if you are a chips and salsa person, they don't have chips, so bring a bag of your favorite in your carry on :D

Enjoy your time on the Pride! She is of my favorite class and size of ships every!

Love Grand Turk! Been three times.

Stuff for free: Beach Day! There is a NASA exhibit, hang a right just out of the cruise center (John Glenn splashed down near Grand Turk on one of the Mercury missions). The exhibit only takes about 10-15 minutes - I think it's worth stopping -- if not, you've only taken a few minutes.

If you want to do more than just the beach, you can get mask, fins, & snorkel at the hut to rent beach equipment which is just north of the pier up the beach. Then walk about a half mile north, up the beach, to Jack's Shack. It's about $10 to rent 2 chairs and an umbrella. It's worth it, because it's quieter and more relaxing than closer to the ship. I've heard the food is good, but I have not tried. There is good snorkeling under the pier the farther out you go, just north of Jack's Shack (as long as the US Coast Guard is not parked there).

Take a taxi to the Salt House -- it's a museum that covers Grand Turk's history in salt. Then walk about a half mile west to the Prison Museum. Near there is the old cruise port that has lots of local shopping (tourist stuff), you can also get a bite to eat -- then take a taxi back to the ship.

There is Zoom-Zoom Tours -- ATVs and Dune Buggies. Did the ATVs a week and a half ago -- Blast!

Bring some Children's books with you to donate. Their library burned down recently:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2480983

I'll check out the conch graveyard, mentioned above, on my next trip.

Have fun!

Edited by SpaceCowboy9
add conch graveyard

Hi everyone!!

I will be leaving July 23rd on my very first cruise! We will be on Carnival Pride and heading to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport. Does anyone have any tips or must do things in the ports?

We already booked an excursion for Freeport.

I just got back from that same cruise! We didn't do any excursions, but Half Moon Cay is a MUST if you want a beautiful beach day!